Your own ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trimix

Your own ramps post #1
Just curious how many riders have built their own ramps, wedges, etc at their place? I realize that not everyone has a "place" to have ramps and stuff, just wondered who else has them outside their back/front door so you can ride anytime weather permits.

F

fourtyonethirty

Your own ramps post #2
we do...our setup is pretty sick. when you walk in (there in the woods) theres a vert wall to box to 7 foot quarter.right next to that is a 7 foot quarter to spine to an funbox, on the left side of the funbox is a small mini with a wallride, and the other side is another small mini, with a 6 foot to 4 foot..

O

oibmxpunx

Your own ramps post #3
at the bike shop i work at we got a 4ft 1/4 pipe thats 10 ft wide and two wedges on a wall 5ft apart so its a wall ride gap its fun to ride some times during the day wen know one is comeing in

I

infantry43RIDER

Your own ramps post #4
i got some simple quarters in my driveway...trails in my backyard...but the cool thing i think it that in my basement (has high ceilings) there is some smaller quarters and wallride tranny stuff...its really tight and sketchy and its super fun.

F

fourtyonethirty

Your own ramps post #5
indoor ramps!...thats badass....like matt beringer

I

ieatcrayons

Your own ramps post #6
i got a weak 3.5ft box jump in the backyard, and a pretty nice but short grindbox that has a rail on one side and just angled metal on the other side

E

evanc

Your own ramps post #7
6' quarter, 16' wide, interchangable 2'sub/16X8 wallride
assorted custom-welded rails
grindbox
Hopefully a spine or something next year

I

infantry43RIDER

Your own ramps post #8
thats tight evan...i would love to have a spine.

H

hartattack_199

Your own ramps post #9
i got a 5 foot high wooden ramp, dirt landing so i can make it as far as i want and...... just dirt ones after that, my bro built a 8 foot high 20 feet long Motocross Ramp though

B

Blood Puddle

Your own ramps post #10
nice clay wall in the woods, the hard-packed clayu we contoured it and jump it, etc... not as nice as some of the ramps u guys have but it's still fun!

A

anti-flag

Your own ramps post #11
im planing on building a grid box and a wall ride this winter and possible even a quarter pipe. that if i can get some good wood and what not 4 cheap or free

O

oibmxpunx

Your own ramps post #12
hartattack_199 said:
i got a 5 foot high wooden ramp, dirt landing so i can make it as far as i want and...... just dirt ones after that, my bro built a 8 foot high 20 feet long Motocross Ramp though
i would jump that i jump 8 ft tall 30 foot gaps i love dirt

T

Trimix

Your own ramps post #13
Now, this brings up another good question. When riders describe ramps, and boxes, they seem to all label them a little differently, or it seems so. For instance someone says "7' quarter", is that 7' high.....or utilizes a 7' radius as it's transition? I understand the difference between a wedge, a transitional ramp (that's the curvy one...lol), spines, boxes, decks, sub boxes, walls, etc.........but when someone says I have a 7' quarter pipe, in reality a "quarter" pipe would be just that, 1/4 of a entire pipe, which would make the bottom of the ramp flat with the ground, and the last part of the lip at the top vertical. In other words, most quarter pipes are not a complete quarter, as it depends on their transition and how high they are.
For instance; I have a 3' tall launch ramp, it is 6 feet long, 4 feet wide, and based on a 9' tranny/radius, however you want to look at it, but that means it is a "section" of a 18' round pipe, and is only a quarter (9' rad), but being only 3' high it is not really a "quarter pipe" as it would have to be 9' tall at the lip/deck to be a true quarter. Sorry - just bored this morning.......and prone to rambling.

V

Vic_Vega

Your own ramps post #14
Trimix, you're a f*ckin genius. Seriously!
:D

My ramps(i should say "our" because my friends help build) are as ghetto as they come with dirt and wood being completely interchangable and in some places indistinguishable. Let's just say we really take advantage of being able to ride our bikes anywhere, lol.

I

infantry43RIDER

Your own ramps post #15
holy shit trimix. 8O

T

Trimix

Your own ramps post #16
What? Was that stupid, or am I making it more complex than it is?

I

infantry43RIDER

Your own ramps post #17
no it wasn't stupid...i know no one who would ever go into as much as you just did. 8)

E

evanc

Your own ramps post #18
Trimix - It always describes height. Since transition radii is pretty standard, depending on the ramp, there's no need to specify. For example, quarters and minis usually utilize 7.5-8' trannys. If it's an 'abnormal' tranny, it will be specified. Example - "Today I rode a 3' vert quarter." It obviously used a 3' tranny.

T

Trimix

Your own ramps post #19
Got ya'. Soooo, somethiing as small as a 4' radius would be considered 'quick'? Seeing that the standard radius' are 7.5-8'? For instance if it was 4 feet tall, and based on a 4' radius (which is small)......it would be like hitting a brick wall? Sorry, I come from a dirt background. Synthetic ramps are new to me.

E

evanc

Your own ramps post #20
It wouldn't be like hitting a brick wall. It would actually be rediculously fun to ride, just because it's different. But it would take a lot of getting used to. A lot. A 4' vert ramp, in otherwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics