Which frame?

• Discuss Which frame? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Im going to buy a new frame and I have my budget is about 160$ U.S. I originally thought that I could spend more on a frame, but then I realized that I... ...
  • Tags bike bike parts bikes dirt parts se bikes
I

Ihaterednecks

Which frame? post #1
Im going to buy a new frame and I have my budget is about 160$ U.S. I originally thought that I could spend more on a frame, but then I realized that I had to pay to have it installed ( Im not good with changing/switching out parts ). So I have some choices here-

Federal Extension
Federal Nation
Federal Diversion Dirt frame
Fly Estampidia
Volume Dinosuar
Volume Mexican

(I mostly ride dirt)

I heard the dinosuar was sorta long in the back, And does the Estampidia weigh 6.1 lbs or 7.1? Flybikes.com says its 6.1 but the mailorders say 7.1, And the frame looks excactly the same . So im guessing its the same year/model.

Also Which one of these bikes is the lightest and best for someone with a semi-begginner skill level?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

F

FT rider

Which frame? post #2
you should think about learning how to put stuff together coz its really not hard and youll need to learn how, but onto the bikes. The division is going to be the lightest being 6.3 lbs then the nation and extension who both weigh 6.6 then the others all appear to weigh 7lb, their all ok weight bikes. And according to most sites the estampida is 7lbs.
If you are a small rider or just like smaller bikes then i know from personal experience that the nation is great it spins real easy with that short back end, but u dont have to be short to ride it,im over 6 foot. I have never rode any of the other bikes. My nation has barely been ridden on dirt so i couldnt tell you about that but for street its holding up to some heavy abuse and while i have gone through 3 sets of wheels 1 set of bars 1 set of forks and 1 set of cranks the frame is still holding up.

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Which frame? post #3
Estampedia is $159 at Albes.

www.albes.com

(the picture when you first get there is at my local skatepark)

F

federal_rider12

Which frame? post #4
i dunno what diversion is unless u mean division (i got a division and its awesome) but outta those id say federal nation or volume mexican(those will prob be goin away since escamilla is ridin for king bikes now)

L

leon_luxton

Which frame? post #5
i would say gop for the fly..never really any problems with there company so go for it..its a great choice..but rember you are the one riding it so get what YOU WANT

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Which frame? post #6
ok forget about the federals except for the division, its probably the best all round (plus federal don't make the others now), now the 2003-2004 weigh around the 6lb mark and are available with euro bb's. but the 2004 is available with seat stay mounts. if a company says it weighs about 7lbs then they have the 2002 or older versions.

It's a similar affair with the fly, as before 2002 (I think) the estampida was 7lb's but from 2003 onwards its around the six pound mark. the 2003 onwards are also available with euro bb's and have double butted seat tubes.

once again its also the case with the volume dinosaur. before the 2004 model, it weighed in at 7lb's but now the 2004 model weighs just over 6lb something, and is available with euro bb's and internal headsets. oh and yes the dinosaur does have a longer rear end the most frames now days, 14.50 I believe, whereas most frames now, have a rear end of 14.25 or shorter. the difference is not massive but it is noticeable, if you are quite short. but that's the way Castillo likes it.

the Mexican is now out of production and will weigh 7lbs as there was only one version made.

it seems to me that a $160 dollar frame means that you will be getting the older (heavier) version of all of those listed, as the new models retail at around $200 or more.

get what one you want I guess, but personally I would steer clear of the Federal Extension, Federal Nation, and Mexican. I probably would not go for the dinosaur due to the long rear and weight of the sub 2004 models. so I guess go for the federal division or the fly estampida.

however what I would REALLY do is wait a little longer until you can afford a new $200 and install charge, and then get the 2004 division or something. the frame is one of the most important bike parts and as such it would be better if you wait a little longer until you can afford a up to date model rather than a old stock clearance model.

I

Ihaterednecks

Which frame? post #7
Thank you all for your replys. I think im going for the fly, nice and light and I should be able to ride it for a long time. But albes doesnt say how much it weighs.... Confusing. All the divisions are sold out also , or atleast the ones w/ the american bb ( I dont like the euro bb stuff ). So, anyone
know what model the albes ones are? thankyou.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Which frame? post #8
i belive that the one on albes is the 2003 version onwards as it has a double butted seat tube which means that it weighs about 6.1lbs, thats is a very good price fo rthe 2003 version of the frame, for that price i thought it would be a older version BUT ITS NOT which is great considering that in the us new fly frame usually cost about $220, you will be very happy with it.

I

Ihaterednecks

Which frame? post #9
Thanks a ton, that makes me really happy. So its settled im going to buy the fly. It looks like a great frame and i cant wait for it to be installed!!!

New Topics