Which Brakes to choose?

• Discuss Which Brakes to choose? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Well, I haven't been riding with brakes and I was wondering what's a good pair of brakes for under $20? I was looking forward to buy either the Tektro... ...
E

essjbmx

Which Brakes to choose? post #1
Well, I haven't been riding with brakes and I was wondering what's a good pair of brakes for under $20? I was looking forward to buy either the Tektro FX-30 or the DiaTech Hombre on Danscomp but I haven't seen a lot of people buying those. If I could extend my budget to about $30, I'll probably buy the Primo E-Brake.

Since I've used the search options for the Tektro and the Diatech, I haven't seen a thread on it, so I was wondering what your guys' thoughts on those brakes are. I know the Primo E-Brake is a good buy since it's similar to the Odyssey Evo II but I just want to know what will be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for your time and I hope to see a reply soon.

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

Which Brakes to choose? post #2
Extend your budget to $30 and buy the Primo E-Brake, if you like it so much...

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Which Brakes to choose? post #3
Hombres- simple, cheap, effective. no brake system works significantly any better than any other if you set it up right. good, sticky brake pads help, get those green ones on your Hombres.

DAN1991

DAN1991

Which Brakes to choose? post #4
Hombre

Kool Stop Pads

Odyssey Linear cable

Dirty Harry lever

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

Which Brakes to choose? post #5
Hombre

Kool Stop Pads

Odyssey Linear cable

Dirty Harry lever
I'm not the only one who calls it the Dirty Harry LOL, Dirt Harry but yes nice suggestion for a set up.

T

troy

Which Brakes to choose? post #6
Pickles

Pickles

Which Brakes to choose? post #7
Hombre

Kool Stop Pads

Odyssey Linear cable

Dirty Harry lever
that lever only if youre going to set it up on the bend in the bars or like 2wheelpride has his set up,on the down section in the bars. I think its 2wheelpride with that?

I'm not the only one who calls it the Dirty Harry LOL, Dirt Harry but yes nice suggestion for a set up.
ahaha yeah it just rolls off the tongue. anyway,stick to gray brake pads,at least for ME they have been the best. Last long,and the black ones are too dense,the gray ones are softer and allow for a bit better feel,grip,and longer life.

I can dial in tektro's to work jsut as good as fly's,the problem is that I have to adjust the tektro's more often. just stick to CNC'd 7k or 8k and youll be set pretty much. pads and cables make a big impact. This is the only time where I can say,the only part you should look at,is the odyssey straight cable for straight. the ONLY time that only one product needs to be mentioned :p

Primo's are good. you can probably find some evo I's for about 30 bucks. Mine are still good.

DAN1991

DAN1991

Which Brakes to choose? post #8
I find my set-up works well.

Levers are personal, I like the feel of mine and two fingerness.

Cheap and effective.

Pickles

Pickles

Which Brakes to choose? post #9
I found the dirt harry to be too far of a reach on my bars since it was on the flat,also with a gyro with little travel room I couldnt really pull to far,so my fingers were out pretty far when it was pulled. not fun on tire taps and etc when you want the brakes and power on your bars too

I use the tech 77 now,love it...2wheelpride ask him for a pic of his brakes he has a dirt harry set up in a custom way. its pretty cool,I dont know if I would do it though. I know I dont need to with the 77,but with the dit harry I might have tried it.

D

DKbiker101

Which Brakes to choose? post #11
how was ridin brakless i do dirt jumps does any =one recomend it?

E

essjbmx

Which Brakes to choose? post #12
Thanks for all the replies guys. Well, my bike isn't so great. I haven't been riding it for about a year or 2 because I was too lazy to fix my popped tube+tire. Puncture in tube because of a nail (it was a heavy duty tube) and a cheap tire I had. I'll post pictures of my bike soon when I can get a hold of the camera.

I think I'll probably go with DAN1991's setup except with the Odyssey Monolever (small). But before that, I'll ride brakeless for just a bit longer since I'll have to replace my tires. It's a bit worn out from all the riding.

Just wanted to ask another question and which 2 tires would be good for under $30?

Thanks for all the replies again, you guys are of great help! :)

AustinK

AustinK

Which Brakes to choose? post #13
For the tires get some primo v monsters or throw a dirt monster up front. They are proven to be solid.

Red Horn

Red Horn

Which Brakes to choose? post #14
Is there a noticeable performance difference between: DIATECH 996/997, PRIMO E and a EVO 2?

Red Horn

Red Horn

Which Brakes to choose? post #15
For the tires get some Primo V monsters or throw a dirt monster up front.
Isn't it best to run high pressure tire to avoid the risk of pinch flats?

2008HaroF3

2008HaroF3

Which Brakes to choose? post #16
im runnin a mono med, that is queit (sp?) small, just though id let you know :D

AustinK

AustinK

Which Brakes to choose? post #17
Isn't it best to run high pressure tire to avoid the risk of pinch flats?
I have seen those tires run at 130 with no problems.

E

essjbmx

Which Brakes to choose? post #18
How do the Primo Dirt Monsters run? Do they get flats easily? If they're a nice tire, then I'll get the Dirt Monsters for a front and a Wall for the back.

L

Lay

Which Brakes to choose? post #19
how was ridin brakless i do dirt jumps does any =one recomend it?
NO, Do not ride dirt without brakes, it's unreal. You have to control your speed, i REALLY Recommend you riding with brakes on dirt jumps.

Red Horn

Red Horn

Which Brakes to choose? post #20
Is there a noticeable performance difference between: DIATECH 996/997, PRIMO E and a EVO 2?
I know I kinda hijackin here but really want an answer before the thread dies.

New Topics