Whats the difference between?

• Discuss Whats the difference between? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Whats the difference between sealed and unsealed pedals? The sealed pedals coast like twice as much as the unsealed one. Whats with the deal on that? ...
I

idontknow312

Whats the difference between? post #1
Whats the difference between sealed and unsealed pedals? The sealed pedals coast like twice as much as the unsealed one. Whats with the deal on that?

watchingtrains

watchingtrains

Whats the difference between? post #2
I

idontknow312

Whats the difference between? post #3
M

MATRIX

Whats the difference between? post #4
Unsealed are just simple to deal with and cost less. You can get a bearing or a full set for 1$ at most hardware stores if you need them.

Sealed are more money, and if you need to replace bearings...it cost more.

I grease sealed and unsealed, so as far as maintaing them...it's alittle worse with sealed(having to pull the cover off the bearing with a razor blade). But, if you know how to do it it is a simple way to keep the bearings running good.

Really, the difference is cost. As alot of sealed pedals are no better than unsealed. Then agian, some are.

watchingtrains

watchingtrains

Whats the difference between? post #5
Unsealed are just simple to deal with and cost less. You can get a bearing or a full set for 1$ at most hardware stores if you need them.

Sealed are more money, and if you need to replace bearings...it cost more.

I grease sealed and unsealed, so as far as maintaing them...it's alittle worse with sealed(having to pull the cover off the bearing with a razor blade). But, if you know how to do it it is a simple way to keep the bearings running good.

Really, the difference is cost. As alot of sealed pedals are no better than unsealed. Then agian, some are.
very true. its all preference

jaredmi

jaredmi

Whats the difference between? post #6
Once you buy sealed pedals you'll never buy regular ones again. They are tons better.

After you have unsealed ones for a long time, you can start to feel the 'flat spots,' plus they generally have a little more side to side play. If your bike isn't dialed or you don't care, ignore this and save yourself $20 and buy the cheaper ones.

J

jawn

Whats the difference between? post #7
Unsealed are just simple to deal with
I would say sealed are, as there is no grease/little ball bearings to deal with/lose.

Wildbill

Wildbill

Whats the difference between? post #8
My first 2 pedals were unsealed. Primo tenderizers and snafu OG pedals. Than i got primo pro's sealed (not the balance pedals). They were awesome, my bike was stolen and my friend gave me his old unsealed tenderizers for my new bike. After a month or so until i had money set aside for my bike i bought another pair of the primo pros sealed. I loved them, lasted me 3+ years now, i rode them until recently i retired them for Atomlab Trailkings. The new 07 models are siiiic, they use bushings so you dont have to worry abouyt anything other than occasional light grease on the bushing which is basically a wide metal hollow tube. The downside is the pedals are $100, you can ge Atomlabs GI pedals with the same bushing system for $50.

NEWRIDE

NEWRIDE

Whats the difference between? post #9
Buy unsealed and take care of them occasionally, or buy sealed and forget about them. I prefer unsealed because they cost much less.

New Topics