whats a freecoaster?

• Discuss whats a freecoaster? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; me and my friend here wanted to no what a freecoaster are? We no flatland riders use them... we think. but we wanted to no what they are and whats the... ...
  • Tags fakie flatland street
RuLe

RuLe

whats a freecoaster? post #1
me and my friend here wanted to no what a freecoaster are? We no flatland riders use them... we think. but we wanted to no what they are and whats the different in cassette hubs and freecoasters and whats better for street riding?

I

infantry43RIDER

whats a freecoaster? post #2
well first off...there is no "better" for street riding..its personal preference.

anyways...
a freecoaster is a rear hub that, when riding fakie (rolling backwards for the "smart" people) the pedals will stay in position...unlike with any freewheel or cassette hub the pedals will move backwards when riding fakie...freecoaster is most commonly used for flatland because they ride there bikes all different ways...but many a street rider use them too.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

whats a freecoaster? post #3
aye, tis true, and it sound good right? no back peddling,...oh how sweet...in fact i was going to buy one, but for street or any harsh riding, freecoasters are generally not suitable due to the complicated internal engage and disengagement system, meaning that a few too many bumps, and you end up with broken components quite frequently. but if you do want a good freecoaster that will withstand anything, and come back for a lot more, check out the sym hub (see link: http://www.symhub.com/ ) it rules, but comes at a price.

alot of the standard byke co riders like rick, and luc-e, use freecoasters, but i don't know who they are made by, they must be pretty good i guess otherwise rick would not use them, but you are not going to get any better than a sym hub, if i had the cash i would buy one.

as fas as freewheels and cassette hubs go, generally there is not a "best" one, its just that freewheel hubs are a little simpler and if you break are part to do with the pawls, you just replace the freewheel unit. however if you break a internal part to do with the pawl mechanism on a cassette, it can be a bit of a pain finding replacement parts, and repairing it. but with cassettes you can have micro gear ratios like 9-25.

Oh it is also arguable that you can get a higher quality pawl mechanism on a freewheel hub for less money compared to a cassette hub where you will have to spend quite a lot to get a nice 4-pawl mechanism.

I

infantry43RIDER

whats a freecoaster? post #4
i was going to get a freecoaster from symhub just the hell of it too...seems like fun at times.

also...odyssey makes one that seems alright for street riding too.

L

leon_luxton

whats a freecoaster? post #5
nankai says it all..they are the best freecoaster out there for a great price of £80 also i use a freecoaster,its a taska :D

M

Mr_Shrapnel

whats a freecoaster? post #6
yeah they are great, but i belive you ride flat mostly right? i dont think that a nanki freecoaster would hold up on street or more abusive riding would it?

I

infantry43RIDER

whats a freecoaster? post #7
and isn't it only 3/8?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

whats a freecoaster? post #8
you can get them in both 14mm and 10mm

I

infantry43RIDER

whats a freecoaster? post #9
oh...on the mail order sites that im aware of they say that the hub only comes in 3/8..and when you order the 14mm hub its just the regular 3/8 with adapters.

New Topics