What To Upgrade?

• Discuss What To Upgrade? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I am riding a Haro Backtrail X1 at the minute and when i've got a job i wanna upgrade some parts, it only has a 1pc crank so that will be a definate to... ...
  • Tags bike dirt parts street
N

NiNo

What To Upgrade? post #1
I am riding a Haro Backtrail X1 at the minute and when i've got a job i wanna upgrade some parts, it only has a 1pc crank so that will be a definate to upgrade, I like the bars at the minute and only ride 1 brake that barely works, so they wont need done, what would you say needs upgraded on the backtrail x1?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

What To Upgrade? post #2
well i say only replace parts when they brakes or unridable due to damage or if they dont feel right. so for the moment just forget abnout buying parts and just dial everything in what you have got and give your money to charity baby.

I

infantry43RIDER

What To Upgrade? post #3
yea if you are a beginner the parts you have will do until you get more experience and better or whatever.
then when you really need them upgrade.

S

sentaafEQpovar

What To Upgrade? post #4
just wait till sumthing breaks or gets bent

oh, is that the haro with the plastic pedals? if so, repace em

things that might ware out or be shitty soonest would prolly be stem, bars, or forks, from what i remember when my friend had that bike

I

infantry43RIDER

What To Upgrade? post #5
yea replace those stupid plastic pedals.
why did haro do that?

S

sentaafEQpovar

What To Upgrade? post #6
cost efficient?

RuLe

RuLe

What To Upgrade? post #7
what year. if it the 2003 or older or is it 2004? Because the top in the dirt/street class is the backtrail x2. then backtrail x1. then the top in dirt is nyquist pro. but anyways if u got the new year, u mit want to change alot of stuff. Mine is 1 above yours and i changed the rims, changed the pedals from those ugly plastic ones. changed the sproket to a 36tooth street riding. i would change the forks if u dirt jump. and if u want buy new cranks but you gonna spend like 150 - 200 bucks buying just new forks and a crank. Maybe even more

F

federal_rider12

What To Upgrade? post #8
everythin start with the wheels and crank then headset and fork and then whatever else u dont like

I

infantry43RIDER

What To Upgrade? post #9
sentaafEQpovar said:
cost efficient?
retarted efficient?
how much does it really cost the LEADING bike company to put aluminum pedals on their bikes.

F

federal_rider12

What To Upgrade? post #10
they put cheap plastic pedals on to keep the price of the complete down(along with the other parts that prob rnt name brand) its all bout the prices u add some better stuff price goes up that simple

I

infantry43RIDER

What To Upgrade? post #11
i know i get the whole thing.
i just find it retarted.

T

traildemon

What To Upgrade? post #12
if i were you I'd replace the headset..it's only a small part but it'll save your frame and you won't have to buy a new one i a long time since you've only started.
Also bars are very important..when I upgraded my old haro bars to s&m berringer bars about 2 years ago I've learned a lot. oh and fit youself with a proper gearing. I bet you're running a 44-16 at the moment.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

What To Upgrade? post #13
there is nothing wrong with a 44-16 gearing at all, there is no reason he should change unless he want to change his top speed or acceleration.

T

traildemon

What To Upgrade? post #14
well for beginners there is. I have 38-14 which has about the same acceleration as a 44-16 but he won't have to fear bumping on the coping

M

Mr_Shrapnel

What To Upgrade? post #15
whats the point in spending a whole load of cash on a new part (which is not broken in first place) just so he may not bash his sprocket on some coping aye?

T

traildemon

What To Upgrade? post #16
look obviously it's just a kid who got a little too much x-mas money and he wants to spend it all in one place..I just sugested that he bought a sprocket if he wanted to...it's not like I'm saying buy drugs or die..it's just harmless advice. I had my 44t sprocket on for 1.5 years and it really didn't bother me..I just hated to buy a new chain because I didn't have any spare chainlinks at that time...

N

NiNo

What To Upgrade? post #17
OK to tell the truth I have no money, I really wanna get into BMX and to get good things will brake, so basically i wanted to know what on my bike is weak, i know the crank and the pedals, once I gotta job im gonna save up and have the money aside to buy a new crank or whatever when it brakes.

T

traildemon

What To Upgrade? post #18
ok sorry no offense...the things I'd upgrade would be a good sealed headset, decent pedals you'll need good grip to bunnyhop (check out the oddyssey cielinki pedals), a 3pc crank although you'll only need it when you slam hard after a decent jump (but you can't always run out of luck)..bars...they may seem unimporatnt but good bars that fit you well aren't that hard to find. I think I'm going to buy the new wtp brian terada bars. Well I'd leave the rest after you've saved up. If you were to buy all of these things together you'd probably have to have a lot of money saved, but you gradually buy things when you feel it's the right time.
but don't spend all of your money on parts..the most important part is your frame.

F

federal_rider12

What To Upgrade? post #19
traildemon said:
well for beginners there is. I have 38-14 which has about the same acceleration as a 44-16 but he won't have to fear bumping on the coping
u want acceleration my gearin is 36-16 everyone loves it and i wanted to go back to the gearin of a 44-16 which would be 36-13 in my case but i dont need speed so ill just stick with what i got.

but as of what to upgrade u will want to go with the crank first and if u do that then ull have to buy new pedals- after that is done go to the wheels- then the headset(unsealed will do fine for u, but not the one thats on ur bike, but if u got the money jump straight to sealed) and thats the big items needed if from there u can decide if u want to upgrade nethin else

New Topics