What has better stopping power??

S

Skid

What has better stopping power?? post #1
Ok, I hear people that are like, woo gyros, and then the other going, woo straight cables. From what I hear, gyros take away from the stopping power, but then I heard someone else say that you can fine tune them to be just as strong. Getting the cables wrapped around from double barspins does annoy me, but I don't want to lose break power, so someone tell me if it is possible to make a gyro setup just as strong.

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #2
If you have the patience and mechanical ability, gyros will always outperform any straight cable. If you set it up correctly; which is very hard.

S

Skid

What has better stopping power?? post #3
evanc said:
If you have the patience and mechanical ability, gyros will always outperform any straight cable. If you set it up correctly; which is very hard.
Should the dude at my bike shop know how to do it right?

O

oibmxpunx

What has better stopping power?? post #4
straight cables rock

°

°§çáß°

What has better stopping power?? post #5
Im sure the dude at the bike shop could do it, its not that terribly hard to dial them in. Just takes patience.

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #6
You need special set-ups, and most of the time, brake lever modification.

J

johntheguru

What has better stopping power?? post #7
a straight cable has more stretch in it than a gyro because it is a longer SINGLE length of cable than any part of cable in a gyro set up.

a good brake is not really acheivable without greased cables. make sure the pads hit the rim square and at the same time.

i use a gyro, i am not bragging but it is set up perfectly. it is extremely good.

i will never run a single cable unless its an emergencey now.

gyro's have less flex, and they are easier to control and alter.

john

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #8
Correct. The gyro cables have more cross-sectional area, and therefore less 'sponge'.

S

Skid

What has better stopping power?? post #9
evanc said:
You need special set-ups, and most of the time, brake lever modification.
What kind of special setups? And what do you mean by break lever modification?

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #10
You need dual cables all the way down. See 'Bicycle Repair 101'

S

Sorage

What has better stopping power?? post #11
get some odessey's modulevers
thats the first step to a less flex gyro

first i had the original setup (shitty brakes and cables)

now with the odessey's (modulever, evolver ) the flex is almost gone ( still can feel it but its not adjusted properly)

J

johntheguru

What has better stopping power?? post #12
modulevers and dirty harry's are the best levers for having hardly any flex.

get twin cables top and bottom too.

USE GREASE.

john

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #13
Ewww, modulevers are disgusting. They have like no bend to them. Dirt Harry for life.

S

Sorage

What has better stopping power?? post #14
jeah but everyone gots his own style/feel

maybe your gonna like modulevers
or you may prefer dirty's, its up 2 u

J

johntheguru

What has better stopping power?? post #15
evanc said:
Ewww, modulevers are disgusting. They have like no bend to them. Dirt Harry for life.
you just bend it yourself tho.

they have a new modulever out now. it is smaller than the old one.

they are really stiff and smooth.

keep it straight or bend it.

john

(i use a dirty harry btw)

E

evanc

What has better stopping power?? post #16
Dirt Harrys are so beautiful. I <3 my two. Oh, wait, I only have one. I let my friend borrow yet another and broke it. Third lever he's been through in 6 weeks.

E

EasternBMX

What has better stopping power?? post #17
I ride the primo J-lever i love it

M

matman

What has better stopping power?? post #18
my brakes are complete rubbish they r tektro x-brakes which arent 2 bad but they have like corroded or somthing and the spring tension is lost completely in the front brake and the back isnt an improvement so im look for some cheap evolvers - does anyone know where i can get a pair cheap in pounds sterling? thanx ps i have a gyro and i think that whoever wrote
straight cables rock
probably never had a gyro and so is trying to make straight cables sound good :twisted:

A

anti-flag

What has better stopping power?? post #19
its true you can get your gyros to work great. but its really hard and takes a lot of time and lots of manteince. i would rather just have the straight cable cause its a lot less work.

J

johntheguru

What has better stopping power?? post #20
anti-flag said:
its true you can get your gyros to work great. but its really hard and takes a lot of time and lots of manteince. i would rather just have the straight cable cause its a lot less work.
if you learn the way everything works, and what happens if you do this or that, messing with your bike takes a lot less time.

get to know your bike by taking everything apart once in a while.

it is good to know what to do when it breaks.

i changed from cable to twin cables top and bottom gyro in 20 minutes, and it was pulling smoother, had less flex, solid pad contact point and worked better.

john

New Topics