what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay?

• Discuss what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; yea i heard a few things but now i think i heard too much and i confused myself. a shorter chainstay helps with manuals. and its easier to spin... ...
L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #1
yea i heard a few things but now i think i heard too much and i confused myself.
a shorter chainstay helps with manuals. and its easier to spin around. im not 100% on that but i heard something like that. what are the downside of having a 13.25 compared to a regular 13.75 or 14.25?

what about bb height?

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #2
how does bb height affect your bike?

what are the differences? how does bb height affect your bike?

I

iGamble

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #3
Geometry. Shorter is easier to loop and do manuals. Longer is harder to loop and is harder to manual then the shorter stay.

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #4
bb height? how does it affect your bike?

what are the differences between a low bb height (11.5) compared to a bike with a high bb height (11.8)?

I

iGamble

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #5
Re: how does bb height affect your bike?

It makes your cranks higher or lower.

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #6
chainstay length? how does it affect your bike?

how does it affect your bike?
does a shorter chainstay 13.25 makes it easier to manual? what are the differences?

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #7

It makes your cranks higher or lower.
funny. but what does it do? does it help you bunnyhop higher? since your lower to the ground you can push off more with your legs? idk. what what what?

I

iGamble

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #8

It changes alot of things. A bikes geometry isn't totally based on one thing. If you have a shorter chainstay and a lower bb it makes spins faster and manuals very easy. If you have a longer chainstay it's the opp. The frame is a unit so you have to take everything into account.

J

jawn

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #9
Re: chainstay length? how does it affect your bike?

Shorter wheelbase (and all the effects that go with it), easier to lift front end but harder to balance.

kkmk

kkmk

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #10
Re: bb height? how does it affect your bike?

are you that dick from the come up?

"Bottom Bracket Height
The mystery measurement. This can have as much effect as rear end length to your bikes handling. Some prefer higher B.B. others prefer low. A few years ago, most West coast frames were high, East coast frames were low. Today its balanced out a bit more.

A high bottom bracket is like a jet fighter. Its inherently unstable. Top heavy if you will. This makes them great for tables, carving, and any other activity where you lean the bike. It also tends to make the front end feel longer, and the frame feel more stiff and tight. Odd.. It makes it feel like a short in height frame, even though your technically up higher. Some people can actually feel this in the frame. Others cannot. High BB can also make manual adjustments easier. Combine this with a short top tube, really short rear end, and it would be a nightmare to control in a manual. It would however make it easy to pull up.

A low bottom bracket is like a drag racer. Long and low. Its very stable. Makes the bike feel planted. Racers usually use low BB because of this, although it has been on the rise lately. You can power the cranks, and it will just go. While they spin the same as any other BB, they do change manuals. Making it harder to pull up. Once there it helps though, by making it stable.

High is 12in.
Med. is 11.75
Low is 11.5

A new measurement has been cropping up lately for street. 11.8. Its is a bit strange. It feel like a 12 when being ridden. Its balance is a little of both 12 and 11.75. Which is not what you would expect since its very close to 11.75 instead of 12. Most people will not be able to tell a difference between any of these sizes, which is evident by how many people ignore BB height when they buy a frame. They simply notice it feels "different" and adapt."

bikeguide.

T

tsi

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #11

no no no i have a 11.8 frame and it feels harder to pull up on manuals. on another frame it feels easier to pull up

G

gtbmx0222

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #12

no no no i have a 11.8 frame and it feels harder to pull up on manuals. on another frame it feels easier to pull up
probably different chainstay lengths?

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #13
The downside is when you ride dirt or park, you're more likely to fall on your back when you air...
BB height doesnt change.

A

abdrider

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #14
shorter=easier to get up for manuals
longer=easier to hold manuals

J

jawn

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #15

There's lots of other variables that would affect that, like TT length, head tube angle, bar angle. We're talking all things identical except for one particular spec.

If you're referring to my earlier post, I was talking about chainstay length. I posted that before I merged Lue's threads, hence not saying what I'm talking about.

Air-Ox

Air-Ox

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #16
shorter is easier to spin/mannie but is harder to hold the manual and is not as stable. If you will be riding flowy andairing high ect get long. If you want to have real responsive and twitchy ride go with short.

Air-Ox

Air-Ox

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #17

To put it simply , high BB is good for hops , low bb is good for stablility. *im pretty sure.

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #18
what size width do you usually cut your bars to?

what size do you guys run? i have some 7.75 bars cut to about 23". easier to throw the bars but i feel like i less control sometimes. the bike feels more twitchy.

also what bars are the best for barspins? i know the smaller the box the faster the bars come around.
i been lookin at the good old scerbos. i heard nothing but good things about them.

L

Lue630

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #19
anyone know when new bob scerbo bars come?

does anybody know if any new scerbo bars are coming out? i heard there going to suppose to come out with lighter bars.

S

stolenwrap69

what are the differences between a shorter chainstay to a longer chainstay? post #20
Re: what size width do you usually cut your bars to?

26's fo life

New Topics