Weight

• Discuss Weight in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; My bike is 32lbs and when i was at the local BIKE park :D alota the guys had like 28lbs and my bike felt like a tank compared to theres so how much... ...
  • Tags bike bikes bmx parts
P

Pyro insaine

Weight post #1
My bike is 32lbs and when i was at the local BIKE park :D alota the guys had like 28lbs and my bike felt like a tank compared to theres so how much do ur bikes weigh

RuLe

RuLe

Weight post #2
31.5 or 32.5

just buy light parts, best weight reduction isgo to 25t titimium sproket and 9 t cog in back. cut seat post if u ride your seat low, get rid of gyro and get single cable or if u dont need brakes go brakeless... you dont have to have a big rim in front like alex triplewall. i run single alex y-22 in front and its barely bent but saves weight... Cut your bars helps too. don t run KMC fat chains. Dont have any bike frame that weights more then 6.5 pounds (dont buy 1 over that) if you are trying to get your bike light, dont run front brakes, dont run barends, but if u do use plastic not metal. maybe 36h front rim and 48 h in back

ak_freebird

ak_freebird

Weight post #3
Umm..... yeah what RuLe said. I'm putting my bike on weight watchers also. 32lbs isn't all that heavy, shit my bike weights that I bet. As long as you can ride it, its all good.

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #4
oh no yours isnt heavy, dont worry about it. mine is somewhere like 34-36lbs all because i want parts that i dont have to worry about breaking, i want tough parts that arent a fortune. now if the part is light, tough, and not expensive well thats just another plus but i wont go for light parts over strong parts

wtpbmx

wtpbmx

Weight post #5
my bike's weight is 28 lbs thats light 8)

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Weight post #6
if it is around 32lb then thats not too heavy, but it is nice having a bike around 30lbs is nice. im guessing that mine is around 30lbs

L

leeuw

Weight post #7
min 13.5 kg...?
wtp bmx man, you on that picture (ook oer-neerlandsch!), bmxigan?

E

EPMD

Weight post #8
my bikes weighs about 30 lbs

frame - estampida - 7 lbs. 1 oz (think that was the old models weight)
forks - flybikes chopper forks - 51.8 oz
bars - flybikes flower power - 29.4 oz
brakes - hombre - 7.6 oz
headset - aheadset - 7.1 oz
lever - dia compe - 3.8 oz
front rim - supra e - 30.0 oz
pedals - wellgo - 18.5 oz
hubs - flybikes - 23.6 oz

just weight of some of the parts.. gonna be getting some new cranks, sprocket, rear hub and stem soon :D

P

Pyro insaine

Weight post #9
Black rule
Red Pyro insaine

just buy light parts i do , best weight reduction isgo to 25t titimium sproket and 9 t cog in back cant cause chainstay brake mounts. cut seat post if u ride your seat low im 6'2 so need it high, get rid of gyro and get single cable or if u dont need brakes go brakeless i run brakelessCut your bars helps too did. don t run KMC fat chains to late i grind on right side so i need it. Dont have any bike frame that weights more then 6.5 pounds already have a Eastern Herculies

barrog

barrog

Weight post #10
Pyro insaine said:
Black rule
Red Pyro insaine

just buy light parts i do , best weight reduction isgo to 25t titimium sproket and 9 t cog in back cant cause chainstay brake mounts. cut seat post if u ride your seat low im 6'2 so need it high, get rid of gyro and get single cable or if u dont need brakes go brakeless i run brakelessCut your bars helps too did. don t run KMC fat chains to late i grind on right side so i need it. Dont have any bike frame that weights more then 6.5 pounds already have a Eastern Herculies
If you want the small gearing but your brake mounts are in the way why dont you cut em off if you are breakless. You could also buy new mounts and have them welded to the seatstays

RuLe

RuLe

Weight post #11
you can? i wanted to do that but its so much money

you cut the bottom brake mounts off and then buy new ones and have them welded to the top and then u got to get a new sproket and if u get a new sproket u got to get a new cog and i want 25-9 but you dont have to buy the sproket right away but thats alot of money because if u weld drop outs to the top of course your doing it to run 25-9 or what not.

I heard the S&M sticker frame u can run 30-11 on it with brakes on the bottom

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #12
what is up with 25-9? its not for street, sure the ratio is but its too small. there are very light and strong aluminum chainwheels, like animal lite. also yes the titanium is light but dont go down to 25, because its weakend by the pressure of the chain since fewer teeth are pulling the chain, and its not for sprocket grinds or disasters because its up and out of the way.

if your that worried about weight, stop freestyle and race or quit and make the lightest bike ever and not ride

Clutch

Clutch

Weight post #13
federal_rider12 said:
what is up with 25-9? its not for street, sure the ratio is but its too small. there are very light and strong aluminum chainwheels, like animal lite. also yes the titanium is light but dont go down to 25, because its weakend by the pressure of the chain since fewer teeth are pulling the chain, and its not for sprocket grinds or disasters because its up and out of the way.

if your that worried about weight, stop freestyle and race or quit and make the lightest bike ever and not ride
Finally, someone that makes some sense!!!

I'm starting to get annoyed with all these weight posts... Grow some muscles people, next you'll want bikes that do everything for you; press the "Tailwhip" button.

The only time you really should be worried about weight is when you are racing, in my opinion.

E

EPMD

Weight post #14
flybikes pantera perhaps, rule?

geez 25-9 gearing!! federal is right.. it barely even does anything anyways.. sure saves a bit of weight, might seem cool but its basically only for flatland and park

Canadian_BMX

Canadian_BMX

Weight post #15
my bike wieghs 30.5 lbs

and 32lbs compared to 28lbs isnt that big of a difference, it will probably be the diff of 1cm of air.

M

MuffinMan

Weight post #16
weight helps push the bike into momentum, so i wouldnt say lighter gives more air ^_^

RuLe

RuLe

Weight post #17
MuffinMan said:
weight helps push the bike into momentum, so i wouldnt say lighter gives more air ^_^

hell yea. easyer for street runs and not get so tired and a lot easyer to do table tops and just throw the bike where ever u want it so much easyer then heavy bikes

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #18
heavier bike gets more air, more rotating weight in turn has more momentum so it flys higher. thats more in vert ramps and dirt jumps. but you can big air on any weighted bike, just got to know what your doing

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Weight post #19
thats true. light weight bikes are good for techy type riding where you are throwing your bike all over the place, also for street where you are always bunnyhopping. i think we can all agree on the fact that bunnyhopping on a light weight bike is easier than doing it on a heavy bike.

Clutch

Clutch

Weight post #20
I'm not sure if this is totally true because I haven't been in physics since highschool (4 years ago)...

The heavier bike has more inertia (sp?) so if it's going the same speed and hitting the same jump as a the lighter bike the heavier bike will go higher and farther. But like shrapnel pointed out, doing something such as a bunny hop a lighter bike technically would be better, because you yourself are the force pulling the bike in an upward motion. In the same turn tho, if you have a heavier bike and could exert an equal amount of force with a heavier bike you would reach the same height, some people don't have the muscles for that tho.

Like I said though, I may be mistaken... So any super geek out there set me straight but I am almost certain I am correct, or rather Federal is correct he stated it first.

New Topics