Weight

A

afroboy360

Weight post #1
I have a poverty buck 99 (I know it sucks) complete w/ a few parts changed, and I have some questions.

1) How much does the Poverty Buck 99 frame weigh?

2) What is a good maximum weight for a bike?

3) Is 34 pounds too much?

4) What is a relatively light but strong street frame that I can get for cheap?

F

FOL

Weight post #2
2+3)34 pounds is not too much if you are comfortable with it...I believe going to 40 pound gets much.

I

infantry43RIDER

Weight post #3
i personally don't think that 34 pounds woudl be to much...it is only if you can't lift it...because the wieght of the bike is all up to your strengths.

but yea my 11 year old brother got a poverty buck 99 last year...he is 11 and feels that the 34 pound bikes is fine for what he does with it...so i don't know.

just don't sacrafice weight for strength if you get some new parts...but you really don't have to worry about that much because most of the strong parts come super light (odyssey forks).

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Weight post #4
1 - I don’t know

2 - It is really all to do with personal preference, but it is generally considered that most people feel that the lighter their bike is, the better. As long strength is not compromised. i suppose a reasonable weight will be between 30-32 pounds with pegs.

3 - If YOU feel that it is too much, then it probably is, if you feel that is a ok weight, then it is fine. It’s all personal, my bike may be too heavy for some people, but I am not some people, I am me, and thus my bikes weight is fine, you know?

4 - A cheap strong, light frame will be most Taiwanese frames, made by respected companies, such as wethepeople, fly, federal, etc etc

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #5
i think the frame weighs 7 1/2lbs and 34lbs bike is a moderate weight of a bike it isnt light but it isnt heavy, i think mine is 31-34lbs and a light weight good street bike would probably weigh in at about 30lbs but that can change depending on the parts and frame but to get a strong light weight street bike you have to spend some mad cash

L

leeuw

Weight post #6
34 pounds.. is that like 15.5 kg?
well, i feel that light bikes are good. you feel good if you have a nice and light bike. you'll go ride more then if you had like the worst ugliest bike ever.
anyways. i really look at the wheigt and think you should because if you'll ever sell it light parts look good.

-light looks good
-titanium looks good
-magnesium looks good
-and goodies like LSD

anyways, i like to get my bikes to 13 kg.

flybike panthera is nice and cheap!

ride on, leeuw

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #7
light isnt always good especially in street, magnesium-horrible for street grinds down in no time(my bike has been rode 2 times and a few grinds pedal hit once and the top-side of it has been grinded down badly)--titanium-light, pretty strong but not meant for street riding, stick to chromoly--having a light bike is nice but if you only look at weight your making a big mistake you can shave the weight with light weight quality parts but that runs up in price

my bad decision- buying magnesium pedals to save weight, i saved 8oz. but lost in quality for my street riding

my good decision- buying my federal fork over the s&m pitchfork lite. weighs about 10oz more but saved a bunch in the price and is very strong

O

oibmxpunx

Weight post #8
my bike is 28lbs

A

afroboy360

Weight post #9
Wow. 28 pounds is nice. What frame do you have?

T

Trimix

Weight post #10
oibmxpunx said:
my bike is 28lbs
Yea, mine is right on 27 pounds. I think that anything 25 - 35 pounds is ok. I went from a 34 pound bike to this 27 pound bike, and I still hop 24"......It really does not make that much difference. You get use to whatever you are riding I think.

O

oibmxpunx

Weight post #11
i have a fit series one

P

Premium

Weight post #12
how do you get it so lite?

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #13
my redline got up to 45lbs but that got me some mad air hard to bunnyhop but developed my muscles to bunnyhop easily and now im sporting like a slim 31-34lbs federal

RuLe

RuLe

Weight post #14
i have heard that all redlines weight a ton unless u replace parts

F

federal_rider12

Weight post #15
oh no just the low end freestyle and dirt completes high end ones are normal weight and then race bikes are light

D

Deliciouspeed

Weight post #16
30 +/- 2lbs

Too lite is bad period, no feel in the air.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Weight post #17
WRONG, weight is personal prefrence, that may be too light for you, but not for me.

T

Trimix

Weight post #18
Deliciouspeed said:
30 +/- 2lbs

Too lite is bad period, no feel in the air.
That's a good point, but really feeling the bike in the air....or barely feeling the bike in the air....don't you think a rider would get USE to that? I mean, I do realize that my newer lighter bike is easier to whip around, but I certainly don't NOT feel it.

(that was a great use of grammar eh?)

New Topics