video camera

• Discuss video camera in the Technology Corner forum in area BMX-Forum Community - more stuff; whats the difference between a 8mm vc(video camera) and a 16mm vc ...
  • Tags video
S

sandmriderbmx

video camera post #1
whats the difference between a 8mm vc(video camera) and a 16mm vc

B

bones

video camera post #2
i think it is the lense size
mine is 8 mm

S

sandmriderbmx

video camera post #3
yea, i have a 8mm, but is there really any other differnance like performance or quality wise

E

evanc

video camera post #4
between 8 and 16mm, it's actually tape size. 8 mm shoots an 8mm-wide tape or 8mm size film (photographic film(this is super 8mm, however)). 16mm shoots 16mm size phographic film. You really can't compare the two. Nothing is better than a 3-chip miniDV camera, though. Holla!

S

sandmriderbmx

video camera post #5
wat do u mean u cant compare the two?

F

federal_rider12

video camera post #6
yeah some cameras now use a mini disc to record, but all i been looking at are hi8 and 8mm cams they are great

O

oibmxpunx

video camera post #7
yeah thats how my friends is and it has a cord that plugs in to the comp so its quiker to uplaod vid

F

federal_rider12

video camera post #8
i need a cam 8O

K

kyle

video camera post #9
the difference is 8mm.

F

FOL

video camera post #10
T

tgreathead

video camera post #11
There is actually no such thing as a 16mm video camera (to my knowledge).

8mm can be video tape or film.

16mm is only film.

8mm preceeded Hi-8, which preceeded Digital 8. I use DV and film. All 8 video formats (8, Hi-8, Digital 8) are cheap, but not as good quality as DV or film.

You can find 8mm video cameras on eBay all the time for about $100-200.

T

Trimix

video camera post #12
16mm is the old film. They may still use it today, but when you saw those old "flickery" pictures from like 1964.....THAT was 16 mm. 16mm was the original video camera......reel to reel stuff.

The mm measurement refers to the width of the tape, yes.

In today, you are going to be using/buying either Hi-8 or DV. Hi-8 can yield good images, but DV is better. Also remember that Hi-8 is an analog format, and is converted to a digital environment when downloaded (captured) into the PC. So......using DV cams insure that the raw footage is digital, and is transferred as digital ieee1394 or firewire. (or USB2 now)

There is nothing wrong with a Hi-8 camera AS LONG AS you can capture it in via a S-video line at a minimum, as composite quality is total crap.

Normal TV is like 520 lor (horizontal lines of resolution) wherein the new hi def is 1040 lor. These cameras have hard drives in them that spin up when you hit "record", and can be popped out and slapped into a PC and accessed. Give it ten years, and you will be able to buy them at Best Buy.

F

federal_rider12

video camera post #13
i tried buying a hi-8 off ebay and the problem with it was the lcd screen was twisted off from the rest of the body and it came with all accessories for like $10 and the only thing you had to do to fix it was pop the screen back on and twist it around, how could i pass up a dea like that???? :cry: $10 brand new never used came shipped to his house like that a $500 camera :cry: i didnt have the money at the time or it and shipping but i should have bid on it anyways

S

sandmriderbmx

video camera post #14
Trimix said:
16mm is the old film. They may still use it today, but when you saw those old "flickery" pictures from like 1964.....THAT was 16 mm. 16mm was the original video camera......reel to reel stuff.

The mm measurement refers to the width of the tape, yes.

In today, you are going to be using/buying either Hi-8 or DV. Hi-8 can yield good images, but DV is better. Also remember that Hi-8 is an analog format, and is converted to a digital environment when downloaded (captured) into the PC. So......using DV cams insure that the raw footage is digital, and is transferred as digital ieee1394 or firewire. (or USB2 now)

There is nothing wrong with a Hi-8 camera AS LONG AS you can capture it in via a S-video line at a minimum, as composite quality is total crap.

Normal TV is like 520 lor (horizontal lines of resolution) wherein the new hi def is 1040 lor. These cameras have hard drives in them that spin up when you hit "record", and can be popped out and slapped into a PC and accessed. Give it ten years, and you will be able to buy them at Best Buy.
ok i was jw cause i was readin my fav mag(ride bmx) and they were talkin about a video down in entirly 16mm film, i have a sony digital 8, and i was just wondering wat the difference was and if i should look into gettin a 16mm so it looks more proffesional but watim gettin is that i shouldnt

F

FOL

video camera post #15
I should get a simple not so high tech videocamera myself, just for recording simple things like bmx....hmm I'll look for a second handed, but I don't need to gain so much knowledge and good video cams liek you sem-prof camerapeople hehe

E

evanc

video camera post #16
16mm will not make you look more professional. First of all, it's film. Not tape. Meaning, just like camera film, you get to pay to get that shit developed. I believe it's around $30/foot. Yeah. It gets expensive, real quick. Next, unless people know you're shooting film, they'll think you just suck. I'd advise against got 16mm. Get a 3-chip DV.

S

sandmriderbmx

video camera post #17
well ive already got a sony digital8 tht i can hook up to my comp for editing and stuff

F

federal_rider12

video camera post #18
i want to also be a videographer, so i can ride and tape. so i really need to get a camera and get good at using it, so i can do both really good

T

Trimix

video camera post #19
Yea... go DV 3 chip. Best all around answer for 2004.

I love editing and making movies, but there is more to it than people think. Beware of off the shelf, $39.95 editing programs. Go at a minimum PINNACLE, or better yet go ADOBE for the editing interface. You can use PINNACLE cards or MATROX makes a good bundle package.

You also need a good clean, up-to-date PC. Video is the most demanding task you can give a PC to do, and if your software is old, or your HD read/write times are slow....it will be frustrating.

http://www.matrox.com

E

evanc

video camera post #20
federal_rider12 said:
i want to also be a videographer, so i can ride and tape. so i really need to get a camera and get good at using it, so i can do both really good
Shoot photography first. There's no autobalancing for exposure and shit, or neutral density filters. If you can't shoot photo (film), you can't do 16mm.

New Topics