Very basic advice please.

• Discuss Very basic advice please. in the Hey I'm new - Introduce Yourself forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hello, my daughter, Sorcha, just turned 12 and wants a BMX bike for her birhday. She has always loved this style of bike and finds it very comfortable... ...
T

Tuckamoor

Very basic advice please. post #1
Hello, my daughter, Sorcha, just turned 12 and wants a BMX bike for her birhday. She has always loved this style of bike and finds it very comfortable and fun to ride. She doesn't perform any tricks yet, but she is very athletic and adventurous, so she may start doing that in the future. But for now she just wants a cool looking bike, for tooling around the neighbourhood with her friends and to take camping, etc...

What has us confused is the sizing. We live in Canada, and we went to one shop where the 20" BMX bikes were recommended for Boys or girls up to age 11 or 4' 9" tall. She is 4' 11", so too big for these bikes. Then we went to a sporting goods shop, where the 20" BMX were for Men and the biggest size you can get. So then when we were shopping online, we don't what 20" means! Is it the same size if it's youth or adult? Are the frames different? Both bikes we looked at had 20" wheels.

So very confused. Should we just go with a bike that feels good for her and not worry about it growing with her, because she will certainly get a lot taller in the next couple of years. Do the rules for buying a bike that fits, not apply to BMX bikes? Thanks in advance for your help! Lois

B

BMXBOI2006

Very basic advice please. post #2
Usually get the bike that fits her now and when she grows adjust the seat for her.

HavokBMX

HavokBMX

Very basic advice please. post #3
This is the most unhelpful advice I've read so far

Sorry if it is too late, but 20" refers to the size of the wheels. This is the industry standard for bmx freestyle. Freestyle rarely goes above 20", Very rarely 22", and never above 24". 24" is pretty much racing territory, and most bikes you see here are racing bikes, not freestyle bikes. Bikes will have another measurement called top tube, which the length of this part determines the size of the rider. I'm 6' and I ride a 20" freestyle bike with a 21" top tube. She needs a top tube length of somewhere between 16"-18", probably an 18" top tube.

AGAIN, The wheels are 20", you have to find the actual measurements of the top tube on the bike to determine if it is the size for her. Also, just because it looks small doesn't mean it is, bmx freestyle bikes are meant to be smaller so you can do tricks on them easier.

New Topics