v3 stem

• Discuss v3 stem in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i have one, every time i do a big hop/double peg/smith/bunny hop it slips, trust me i do it up tight. what should i do with it? ...
A-J

A-J

v3 stem post #1
i have one,
every time i do a big hop/double peg/smith/bunny hop it slips, trust me i do it up tight. what should i do with it?

E RaK

E RaK

v3 stem post #2
make sure you sand the paint off the little bumps on you bars so the stem has something to stick to

A-J

A-J

v3 stem post #3
i may give that a try :)

thnx

any other suggestions?

MoNsTaR

MoNsTaR

v3 stem post #4
greese the bold up, and tighten it more

E RaK

E RaK

v3 stem post #5
make sure you dont overtighten it though as elementary stems tend to bend steerer tubes easily

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

v3 stem post #6
grease the surfaces on the plates where they rub. grease the bolt. don't over-tighten.

A-J

A-J

v3 stem post #7
surely if i grease it, it would make it slip more? and if i dont tighten alot it slips even more...

G

Gibbo.

v3 stem post #8
get new stem.... get a wire brush and take out the filings from the bars.

T

troy

v3 stem post #9
No! you must grease up the stem. DO NOT get it anywhere near the places where the actual stem touches the bar. Make sure it is immaculate inside there, otherwise, little metal pieces will round and act as ball bearings, helping the bars and stem slip.

G

gtbmx0222

v3 stem post #10
1. completely disassemble stem.

2. grease the tounges and grooves of the wedges.

3. clean inside of stem and the parts of the front and rear wedges that contact the bars and steerer tube.

4. make sure the knurling on your bars isnt rounded off or non-existant. if either case, the elementary wont grip it worth a shit.

5. make sure the paint that is on the knurling disappears, that also hurts the grip immensely.

6. make sure knurling area isnt ovalized due to overtightening a past stem (hey, you never know).

7. reassemble as you are supposed to, up until inserting the center wedge bolt.

8. grease elementary bolt BEFORE threading it or even inserting it into the stem. there is a reason for this. the pressure that the bolt holds increases the further the center wedges move toward each other (causing the force that clamps the bars and steerer tube), causing resistance on the bolt and thus making it harder for you to turn it. the grease lubricates the threads and decreases the effects of these forces that are felt by you as you turn the bolt. basically, it makes it easier to turn the bolt, which allows you to tighten it more. ever notice when you start getting it tight that the bolt will turn a bit, then stop, turn a bit more, then stop, over and over again, causing great irritation to people like me? thats got one reason behind it: no grease. thats those forces acting on the bolt and causing resistance.

9. resume tightening center wedge bolt as usual, noting how much easier it is to turn.

10. ride, noting how your bars don't slip. this is, of course, assuming you did exactly as i said ;)

and that sir, is the definitive way to put together an elementary. i know, bc thats EXACTLY how i do it and i have had ZERO problems with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hermes

v3 stem post #11
possibly spray hair spray where the bars and the stem meet.... (its an old trick race guys do)

johnuk

johnuk

v3 stem post #12
possibly spray hair spray where the bars and the stem meet.... (its an old trick race guys do)
Good thinking

I don't know why some people are having problems with the V3 slipping. Mine's absolutely rock solid - it feels like the bars are welded to the steerer tube. I didn't really do anything special to put it together or nail the bolt with a socket set

New Topics