unsealed axle in sealed hub?

• Discuss unsealed axle in sealed hub? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; yes, no? i bent front axle and the only spare axle i have at home is unsealed. so can i do it? i'd go to my lbs, but they're incompetent assh*les... ...
W

WHBmx

unsealed axle in sealed hub? post #1
yes, no?

i bent front axle and the only spare axle i have at home is unsealed. so can i do it?

i'd go to my lbs, but they're incompetent assh*les that would take about 2 years to locate a new axle..

mad082

mad082

unsealed axle in sealed hub? post #2
the answer is not really, no. the sealed axles have shoulders on them that act as a spacer, like the spacer in bottom brackets, to stop the bearings being over tightened and damaged. also the axles are generally slightly different sizes.

you maybe could do it for a very short time but you would have to be careful tightening up the lock nuts. i wouldn't run it for long. but if it even fits will depend on the sealed axle size

Pickles

Pickles

unsealed axle in sealed hub? post #3
wouldnt work. the axles arent wide enough,the axle threads are a thinner diameter then the bearings that are on the axles,which is what the shoulders are that Mad was talking about,they slide over the threads and get jammed on the shoulders.

what'll happen is youll tighten it,and the axle will be able to wobble,hence ruining your bearings.

W

WHBmx

unsealed axle in sealed hub? post #4
okie dokie, thanks

what about removing my current axle? am I meant to take out one side of the bearings or someting?

New Topics