u brakes

• Discuss u brakes in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I just bought a new bmx with two tektro u brakes. But because the bike was mail ordered they are not set up properly. I'm probably gonna take it to... ...
  • Tags bike bmx
B

BMXbrother

u brakes post #1
I just bought a new bmx with two tektro u brakes. But because the bike was mail ordered they are not set up properly. I'm probably gonna take it to halfords to get it set up. But for future reference i'd just like to know if anyone knows how i set these up and adjust them.
Thanx :D

T

Trimix

u brakes post #2
I assume you mean centerpull brakes? You have a couple of springs you have to adjust on each 990 mount. It is a balance between spring tension, and cable adjustment. What kind of problems are you having?

O

oibmxpunx

u brakes post #3
wtf are centerpull brakes? thats just f*cked up man i think ur talking about u brakes

RuLe

RuLe

u brakes post #4
i got u brakes on my bike right now, changing them tho to odyssey brakes

D

Devourment 138

u brakes post #5
my bike had drum brakes...it's really really old :twisted:

B

BMXbrother

u brakes post #6
:) THey are u brakes and they have the problem of not acctually being anywhere near the wheel when i pull the levers. Or they get too close and rub.
And i need to know how to tension the really loose cables.

F

federal_rider12

u brakes post #7
u brakes are centerpull, centerpulls are 990, 990 are u brakes people use different names set up you have to adjust the the springs then tighten the bolt down to keep the spring tension but you dont want lots of spring tension or you will have to tighten the bolt to much and the brakes wont work so to ensure the the springs keep the tension you have to make sure the bolt is tight enough or you need to add a lock washer and after you have the tension keep testing the brakes to make sure they keep srpinging back if they tend to stop returning then the spring tension is going away and you will have to retighten it

the adjuster is the crown that you can turn with a wrench and hold it in place while tightening the bolt also hold the brake arm away from the rim or it wont spring thats something that makes a big difference if you do all this right the brakes will feel tight, always work, and have a positive return everytime

T

Trimix

u brakes post #8
Right. And I don't care what RuLe posts anymore, as long as I keep seeing that image file. :wink:

Sounds like your cable is out of adjustment. Look at where the cable ENDS, it should go through some sort of a clamp. Release this and pull the cable out for now......now play with each side of the brakes. Does the spring tension return them to their outermost position....equally? If not you need to adjust the spring tension of EACH ARM, independantly. If those spring back good and solid, then take a rubber band and with one hand squeeze the two arms together until the pads are touching the rims, with the other hand wrap the rubber band around the two arm ends to hold it there (you may have to play around with this some, but all you want is for the rubber band to hold the brakes)

Then, while they are held against the rims, repull tension on the cable, making sure all of your cable adjustments are dialed in (these are the little finger screw adjusters along the cable) and pull the cable back into the clamp and tighten. This takes some practice but it is not hard.

F

federal_rider12

u brakes post #9
BMXbrother said:
:) THey are u brakes and they have the problem of not acctually being anywhere near the wheel when i pull the levers. Or they get too close and rub.
And i need to know how to tension the really loose cables.
oh so it isnt actually the brakes themselves its the cables? well thats an easy fix the thing that pulls the straddle cable on the rear brakes holds the cable from your brake lever/gyro you loosen and pull the cable through and check to see how much clearance you have between the pads and rim (around 2-3mm--1/16-1/8") then tighten the cable as tight as possible, if you have a front brake the thing that holds the cable on the brake, not the adjusting barrell which holds the cable housing, do the same thing to it as you would to the rear

sorry if that is confusing im short on words today

D

Devourment 138

u brakes post #10
Trimix said:
Right. And I don't care what RuLe posts anymore, as long as I keep seeing that image file. :wink:
Rule... I need to know where you got that image for your sig. And are there anymore/other images available?

O

oibmxpunx

u brakes post #13
lmfao i did not need to know that

RuLe

RuLe

u brakes post #14
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAaa

F

federal_rider12

u brakes post #15
thanks for sharing, now wash your hands before using the computer again :lol: