Tyre pressures

• Discuss Tyre pressures in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; i ride street and i'm starting on park.. when i ride street i have my pressures quite low but noticed park riders have them hard.. what's the... ...
  • Tags jump shop street
G

guui3dong

Tyre pressures post #1
i ride street and i'm starting on park.. when i ride street i have my pressures quite low but noticed park riders have them hard.. what's the difference? does it affect grip/handling etc? what do u recommend?

M

MeatGrinder

Tyre pressures post #2
The main thing with tire pressure is if you don't have much pressure in bmx tires doing all your tricks jumps and shit, when you're jumpin high or onto a ledge and hit really hard you'll most likely bottom out your tire which will do one of 3 things, put a hole in the tire (not the tube, but will make your tube bust eventually) from rubbing the side of the tire on the rim, bend your rims (not triple walled) if you hit very hard, or just straight out give you a pinch flat busting your tube and having to dish out $5 for a new tube every time you blow it like that. So all in all, keep em high pressurized, it'll vibrate like nuts and hurt your wrists when you first start doing that, but you just get used to putting more weight on your legs. And it does give a limit on the side of the tire for psi, but don't really pay attention to that, just keep give'n 'er until you can barely squeeze it with your hand at all.

H

hoover

Tyre pressures post #3
yea

I run about 90psi on mine

M

MeatGrinder

Tyre pressures post #4
Re: yea

hoover said:
I run about 90psi on mine
Yeah that sounds good, the max psi on the tire is usually around 65 -70, but screw that, the wheel is practacally half flat then.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Tyre pressures post #5
the higher psi, the lower the rolling resistance will be, thus, the ride will be smoother, and you should also roll for a longer way as well. also the higher the psi results in having a greater resistance to pinch-flats.

however, high psi's can make the ride a bit harsh, and landings hard.

low psi's in theory give better grip, but i wont explain why....they just do, this is why mountain bike riders often run quite low psi's

i run mine around 75-80 psi, i find that is a good comprimise.

B

bruisedbob

Tyre pressures post #6
low psi's in theory give better grip, but i wont explain why
There's more tire in contact with whatever surface you are riding on.

RuLe

RuLe

Tyre pressures post #7
80psi

davey o

davey o

Tyre pressures post #8
the side of my tire says 40psi or 45psi or something?
once i pumped it up super lots, i dont know what psi to though, and i rode it for a bit. i got off and went into a shop and the tube exploded :( took me like an hour to walk home.

so should i just go way past 40psi or something and pump it till its super hard to squeeze with my hand?

M

MeatGrinder

Tyre pressures post #9
davey o said:
the side of my tire says 40psi or 45psi or something?
once i pumped it up super lots, i dont know what psi to though, and i rode it for a bit. i got off and went into a shop and the tube exploded :( took me like an hour to walk home.

so should i just go way past 40psi or something and pump it till its super hard to squeeze with my hand?
Well it was probably insanely high if that happened, probably like 100psi, but even so it shouldn't happend that easily, check the inside of your rim for a liner that covers the spoke tips, also check around your actual tire for holes.

@

@:::BMXdevil:::@

Tyre pressures post #10
im running a 60 psi in the front (primo dirtmonster)
in rear im running a comet tire 110 psi

renegade

renegade

Tyre pressures post #11
i run my maxx daddys at about 45 , thats the way i like them.

New Topics