Tubing Cutter

• Discuss Tubing Cutter in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I want to buy a tubing cutter to trim down my bars and seat post. When I searched, most of the tubing cutters that came up were made for thin wall... ...
  • Tags 360
A

afroboy360

Tubing Cutter post #1
I want to buy a tubing cutter to trim down my bars and seat post. When I searched, most of the tubing cutters that came up were made for thin wall tubing. Are bars and seat tubes made of thin wall tubing? My bars are .083 thick. Will cutters meant for "aluminum, copper, and other thin wall tubing" be good enough? And what about my seat post?

Z

zedbot

Tubing Cutter post #2
just get your self a hacksaw it will do both of them

RuLe

RuLe

Tubing Cutter post #3
why get 1 if u'r only gonna use it to cut your bars? just find a friend or someone you no to do it for you. but if u really want to buy it go ahead

A

afroboy360

Tubing Cutter post #4
I am going to buy the cutters no matter what, I just need to know if those meant for copper tubing will work.

rap_never_ends

rap_never_ends

Tubing Cutter post #5
i just cut my bars down. use a pipe cutter. it works really well, and accurate. its also really straight unlike the saws

R

rocket

Tubing Cutter post #6
afroboy360 said:
I am going to buy the cutters no matter what, I just need to know if those meant for copper tubing will work.
I was a Plumber for 2 years; used pipe and tube cutters a thousand times. i strongly recommend three things:
(1)Get the brand RIDGED, there well worth the extra money.
(2) Most importantly, because tubing cutters are not for strong/thicker metals, the wheel can easily break. When cutting, start out with light pressure then slowly and slightly increase the pressure about every 15 to 20 turns..this will keep the wheel from snaping!
(3) get a cutter thats more on the bigger side rather than just enough. this will help make the cut easier on that "tough" metal. Good Luck!

R

rocket

Tubing Cutter post #7
let us know if it works.

@

@:::BMXdevil:::@

Tubing Cutter post #8
zedbot said:
just get your self a hacksaw it will do both of them
yeah i do that too it works fine

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Tubing Cutter post #9
I snapped my friends pipe cutter once. I felt like a moron. Dont dig the wheel to thick. When your cutting alot at a time, that ease of tension is the arm snapping.

Where in MI you from afroboy?

T

Trimix

Tubing Cutter post #10
icerocket said:
afroboy360 said:
I was a Plumber for 2 years; used pipe and tube cutters a thousand times. i strongly recommend three things:
(1)Get the brand RIDGED, there well worth the extra money.
(2) Most importantly, because tubing cutters are not for strong/thicker metals, the wheel can easily break. When cutting, start out with light pressure then slowly and slightly increase the pressure about every 15 to 20 turns..this will keep the wheel from snaping!
(3) get a cutter thats more on the bigger side rather than just enough. this will help make the cut easier on that "tough" metal. Good Luck!
Word. Great answer. I am a mechanical contractor.

R

rocket

Tubing Cutter post #11
Trimix said:
Word. Great answer. I am a mechanical contractor.
Thanx. :wink:
I just cut an Odyssey Jim Beams (that 41 thermal is damn hard) and another aluminum seat post tonight using a sawzall (quick an easy) then used my bench grinder to smooth out the cuts. Tools are my best friend:)

What kind of Mechanical work do you do? maybe i missed it in "all other stuff"...
i do all kinds of house, car, and electrical work...it pays to learn on your own.

T

Trimix

Tubing Cutter post #12
Yea, a sawzall is the S, but I figure MOST people don't have access to that kind of tool, but it works like a knife through butter.

I am a Certified Mechanical Contractor, mostly Commercial (and some residential) cooling machinery. The company I own designs, and installs heavy cooling, heating, boiler, and some controls.

A

afroboy360

Tubing Cutter post #13
I'm from farmington hills, suburb of detroit.

D

dot_calm

Tubing Cutter post #14
i jsust trimed my bars today with a hackssaw,, so just use one of those saves moeny

New Topics