trying to get my oldschool rollin

• Discuss trying to get my oldschool rollin in the Old School BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I have a 83 GT pro series and I want to get it rolling nice again. I shouldn't have any issues on using modern parts should i? The BB is the same... ...
JumpOffBuildings

JumpOffBuildings

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #1
I have a 83 GT pro series and I want to get it rolling nice again. I shouldn't have any issues on using modern parts should i? The BB is the same size right?

I want to change my forks/stem/headset and that is where i'm really confused. I believe it is a 1" threaded setup. Is there anywhere i can even get these now, or is there a 1" threadless setup that isn't rediculously expensive? Going to pick up some cranks soon too, any ideas of something strong that won't look out of place on an old school?

wickyman

wickyman

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #2
Try ebay for the forks and such... Get some GT chromoly GT cranks. ;)

JumpOffBuildings

JumpOffBuildings

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #3
still hunting down how to convert to 1 1/8 threadless stem. I saw a basic how to on bmx-museum but i'm looking for more info.

L

Lowkey

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #4
im not sure if they sell it anymore but s&m used to sell a 1" in clamp setup to convert over i bought one like 6 years ago but i dunno if they still make em.

skeleton

skeleton

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #5
danscomp has 1' head set's

O

oldstreetthrasher

trying to get my oldschool rollin post #6
You can't convert a 1" headset to a 1 1/8". Just isn't possible or worth while. In my opinion, putting any modern parts on a classic bike just looks tacky. If you really want to ride it, just build it up with period correct parts. Adding new school parts isn't going to make the bike any better than it would be with older pieces. I don't race, but an '83 pro series frame is more a classic and I myself wouldn't want to screw it up.

New Topics