TITANIUM CRANK, info?

• Discuss TITANIUM CRANK, info? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; You know like the ParisIII PRO bike comes with a titanium crank, but i heard that having a titanium crank is horrible that it can snap etc easily, is... ...
dannytupac

dannytupac

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #1
You know like the ParisIII PRO bike comes with a titanium crank, but i heard that having a titanium crank is horrible that it can snap etc easily, is it really that bad, i mean if it was why would they even bother selling it?

CodyPrince

CodyPrince

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #2
people will argue forever with this. in my eyes thow. titianium is to weak for freestyle bmx. more of a racing material. it wont snap if your a light park rider though

M

Marcus Poopy

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #3
either way you cant afford Ti cranks, and even if you can...you cant afford the hospital bill.

M

marks86

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #4
ti cranks are way to expensive and shouldnt even cross your mind to get them, unless you get them for free

johnuk

johnuk

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #5
It depends entirely on what grade of titanium the company uses and how they treat it.

And what type of cranks you're comparing them to.

Grade 5 (6al4v), treated to produce the best mechanical properties it can have will be as strong or stronger than a lot of Chro-mol tubing. But producing that result also takes a lot of reading and appreciation of what's happening, and most companies don't bother with that shit

If titanium was so weak, it wouldn't be used so extensively on the orbiter, satellites, millitary vehicles and airliners

The difference is, the people using it for those applications have read about it and are careful with it

Last edited:
bdcain

bdcain

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #6
1 the ti is the spindle and arms are cro mo
titainium is stronger and lighter than steel
chipmonks will chew the faces of baby rabbits that they catch on there turf!

Prodigy

Prodigy

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #7
its not that its weaker then chromo... its stronger but it doesnt bend.. it will take more to crack though because its more brittle

johnuk

johnuk

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #8
its not that its weaker then chromo... its stronger but it doesnt bend.. it will take more to crack though because its more brittle
Titanium is more flexible than 4130 - that's one reason why it's good for aeroplanes, where things bend a lot as the plane lifts up and shakes around with turbulence. High carbon steel would be more likely to crack.

Steel and stainless steel are iron with alloying agents added.

The dirty iron that's cast into statues, cookers and machine bodies is grey iron. It's loaded with carbon and the carbon forms crystals in the metal matrix. The crystalline structure makes the metal very rigid and hard wearing, but not flexible - like the way a piece of glass is rigid, barely wears down no matter how much you scrub it but will smash if you hit it. Cast iron has a few percent of carbon in it. The form the carbon takes determines the wear characteristics of the iron - there are lots of different ways in which the carbon rains out of the matrix during cooling from molten (it can form as pearls, flakes...).

Removing the carbon causes the iron to become more elastic and we call it steel. But it also looses it's hard wearing, rigid character. The carbon is removed by melting the iron and then blowing oxygen into it through a lance at supersonic speeds. The lance literally burns the carbon out of the iron.

4130 is a medium to higher carbon steel. You can only make it so tough though before it starts taking on glass like brittleness.

The carbon in the steel acts like tiny rivets in a surface made out of sheet metal plates. When a crack begins to form in the metal, the carbon clusters pin it so it can't tear through a straight line, fracturing the whole piece. But too much is like covering a whole surface in rivets, it just ends up full of holes.

Razor blades are an example of very high carbon steel. They can be sharpened to an invisible edge, but they snap if you try to bend them.

Titanium is not quite as hard to pull into two halves as the very toughest Chrom-mols, but it'll bend and be forgiving before it does snap - it can easily be harder to pull Ti into two parts than most regular steel and even the basic 4130s. Unfortunately, it's also very reactive when it's hot. Gas from the air or contaminations on it's surface will dissolve into the matrix and make it extremely brittle - which is why it needs such careful handling.

Last edited:
IrideAmacneil

IrideAmacneil

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #9
1 the ti is the spindle and arms are cro mo
titainium is stronger and lighter than steel
chipmonks will chew the faces of baby rabbits that they catch on there turf!
incorrect.
KHE is coming out with Ti crank arms too, as eastern once had.

OutlawsMC

OutlawsMC

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #10
Titanium is a very good metal that should be use morer in bmx but due to the expense of it only some parts come in Titanium i heard Titanium cranbks snap blah blah and parts to but why would it snap if its the strongest possible metal to man today it just there are differnt types of ti but mainly the parts useds in bmx are high quality ti but i wouldnt reccommend the eastern reaper Titanium frame it looks to cheap how its made im sure that will crack in half with a good fall eastern makes parts out of ti sometimes but lets face it eastern bikes is a just a high quality name for typical walomart target bikes in my eyes very cheap bikes they have my buddy had a eastern and snap the headtube in a week riding street seriously they suck at making parts but Titanium is a good metal companies just have to know how to mess around with it and test it first

IrideAmacneil

IrideAmacneil

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #11
Titanium is a very good metal that should be use morer in bmx but due to the expense of it only some parts come in Titanium i heard Titanium cranbks snap blah blah and parts to but why would it snap if its the strongest possible metal to man today it just there are differnt types of ti but mainly the parts useds in bmx are high quality ti but i wouldnt reccommend the eastern reaper Titanium frame it looks to cheap how its made im sure that will crack in half with a good fall eastern makes parts out of ti sometimes but lets face it eastern bikes is a just a high quality name for typical walomart target bikes in my eyes very cheap bikes they have my buddy had a eastern and snap the headtube in a week riding street seriously they suck at making parts but Titanium is a good metal companies just have to know how to mess around with it and test it first
was this all one sentence?

wickyman

wickyman

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #13
JohnUK knows his shit! :D If you ask me, people whom say that titanium is weaker than chromo are complete dumb asses who haven't ever taken a science class in their life. Look at it's periodical numbers on the chart, and look at steel. Just because titanium melts at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't mean it's weaker. My father worked for a sub company, that is owned by lockheed martin. They built smelting pots for russia, china, and thailand, that needed them for refining their natural resources of titanium. The more that you refine titanium, the less brittle it becomes, making it much more flexable than steel, but much stronger than aluminum.

Military grade titanium, is over 85% pure, and is much more capable of stopping a bullet, with a thinner, lighter shield, than steel. A piece of 1/8" titanium can stop a 50 caliber bullet, where as you could need almost half an inch of steel. Due to the flexability of the titanium. Being that titanium has a closer molecule structure, makes it one of the best building materials known to human kind, as it can be used pretty much anywhere, that a metal needs to flex, or take a beating. Have you ever taken a piece of titanium, and hit it with a 10lb mallet? I have. I swung so hard against it, that the concrete underneath cracked, but the titanium was unphased. Try that with steel.

Being that titanium, in it's rawest form, is much stronger than steel, you will find that it is also much more expensive. Is it worth it in BMX? Not really, but if you can get a hold of it, why wouldn't you? Chances of it, "cracking" because it is, "brittle" is a crock of shit! Do your research before you listen to some asshole who doesn't know what they are saying! Most of you are less than a buck 80, and there is no way you can break it, even doing the stupidest shit. I am over 200, and I have yet to snap anything titanium, and I ride street, and park hard! I also trust it on dirt! I have broken 16 frames, and not one ti spindle, or axle. I am actually still riding the same ti spindle and axles, that have been on all of those broken frames! And they still look brand ****ing new! Now tell me, is titanium weaker than steel?! **** NO!

If I could rep ya again John, I would... I don't hand out that much rep though... haha It says to rep other people, but I see a lack of intelligence on the forums, lately... :D

OutlawsMC

OutlawsMC

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #14
JohnUK knows his shit! :D If you ask me, people whom say that titanium is weaker than chromo are complete dumb asses who haven't ever taken a science class in their life. Look at it's periodical numbers on the chart, and look at steel. Just because titanium melts at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, doesn't mean it's weaker. My father worked for a sub company, that is owned by lockheed martin. They built smelting pots for russia, china, and thailand, that needed them for refining their natural resources of titanium. The more that you refine titanium, the less brittle it becomes, making it much more flexable than steel, but much stronger than aluminum.

Military grade titanium, is over 85% pure, and is much more capable of stopping a bullet, with a thinner, lighter shield, than steel. A piece of 1/8" titanium can stop a 50 caliber bullet, where as you could need almost half an inch of steel. Due to the flexability of the titanium. Being that titanium has a closer molecule structure, makes it one of the best building materials known to human kind, as it can be used pretty much anywhere, that a metal needs to flex, or take a beating. Have you ever taken a piece of titanium, and hit it with a 10lb mallet? I have. I swung so hard against it, that the concrete underneath cracked, but the titanium was unphased. Try that with steel.

Being that titanium, in it's rawest form, is much stronger than steel, you will find that it is also much more expensive. Is it worth it in BMX? Not really, but if you can get a hold of it, why wouldn't you? Chances of it, "cracking" because it is, "brittle" is a crock of shit! Do your research before you listen to some asshole who doesn't know what they are saying! Most of you are less than a buck 80, and there is no way you can break it, even doing the stupidest shit. I am over 200, and I have yet to snap anything titanium, and I ride street, and park hard! I also trust it on dirt! I have broken 16 frames, and not one ti spindle, or axle. I am actually still riding the same ti spindle and axles, that have been on all of those broken frames! And they still look brand ****ing new! Now tell me, is titanium weaker than steel?! **** NO!

If I could rep ya again John, I would... I don't hand out that much rep though... haha It says to rep other people, but I see a lack of intelligence on the forums, lately... :D
im glad somebody took science class also lol

wickyman

wickyman

TITANIUM CRANK, info? post #15
Science is my passion. And it looks like it isn't just my favorite subject. I would be a chemist, if I could, or maybe something along the biological sciences, or even physical sciences. Though I never really had the grades for it because of math... ****ING ALGEBRA! haha

New Topics