Tire Pressure Dillema Brah

• Discuss Tire Pressure Dillema Brah in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I leaned a few things over the last 3 months...and one major one was that is I run a mid weight pressure though my tubes, I can get over 1 foot hops... ...
Ajlal24

Ajlal24

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #1
I leaned a few things over the last 3 months...and one major one was that is I run a mid weight pressure though my tubes, I can get over 1 foot hops easily. I run a GLH up Front and a ASM in the Back to a Freecoaster...and well they are 120 PSI tires and if I put anythign close to 100 PSI, my landing get hard as hell...and my hops significantly become shorter...

I liek to run low PSI to get higher hops, but I hate the resistance I get from riding with a low PSI...anybody know how I can solve this...I really dont want to resort to getting lower pressured tires, becasue I love Animal tires...and are like ultra stealth when riding...I can sneak on anybody with them with the freecoaster and since it's black, at night I can go everywhere and not be seen by 5.0 or anybody else...If I need to buy kevlars, I'll do it...that would be an upgrade IMO...:hihi:

BMXDAN

BMXDAN

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #2
Folding tires are made for this exact problem. the reason you dont hop as high with more psi is because air weighs a lot. and you will have less resistance with kevlar tires. this the only thing i can think of that will help this problem a lot.. unless you just wait and get used to the weight and learn to hop higher on a heavier bike

Ajlal24

Ajlal24

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #3
I would just run the higher PSI, but I HATE the landings...they're wayyy to hard and I get rawrshocks through my body with them...it feels liek jumping down stairs with locked legs...

So folding tires will cure this problem?

BMXDAN

BMXDAN

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #4
correct, but to an extent.

i have one folding tire (shadow undertaker 2.25) and a non folding tire (shadow undertaker 2.25) and run my tires at about 70 psi.

when you have big tires (2.25) there is a lot of rolling resistance so you could also get skinnier tires.
i personally love the feel of my bike and even thought there is a good deal of rolling resistance you get used to it

Ajlal24

Ajlal24

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #5
The resistance is really immense in mycase...well I overexagerate...but I still feel it though and I dont like it...

I love the feeling of wider tires though...and they look sweet too, but I feel like I have a wider area of traction with 2.1 and bigger...2.0 I feel are mid-way(not the rim...lol)...and anythign smaller just doesnt feel comfortable...

So which kevlars are best to get...I want some quiet tires and something that will last sicen I'm breakless...and liek it that way...

Q

Quen

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #6
you're crazy. there is no way in hell tires can make that much of a difference. just ride with 100psi and get used to it. land with your knees, not your wrists and you can survive any psi tire.

Pickles

Pickles

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #7
first off
5-0....

second
get thorn proof tubes. Theyre a bit heavier,but you can run around 70 psi,and theyre hard. They provide the smooth rolling you want,but they compress the same as a normal 1mm wall tube when under the same pressure.

:)

*Btw,just so you know,these do increase your weight a good amount. I used to the run them then I got used to 100 rear/90 front :)

Ajlal24

Ajlal24

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #8
I already have thorn proof tires...and if inflate my tires anywhere near 100psi, i have to practically land doing a manual...

I feel the land in my wrists when I try to land perfectly doign an even 50-50 distribution of weight from the front and rear...adn when the front hits, it shocks my wrists wayy too much to like...

But to me, tires do make a big differnece, running a small rear tire feels liek my rear end has no force and that there's no grip in the back...

S

screwglue

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #9
you're crazy. there is no way in hell tires can make that much of a difference. just ride with 100psi and get used to it. land with your knees, not your wrists and you can survive any psi tire.
Word..

johnuk

johnuk

Tire Pressure Dillema Brah post #10
The hops might be easier on lower pressures because you're able to compress the tyre like a spring before jumping - mountain bike riders can use huge shocks to build up compression in the same way, but lots more of it

Having compression in the tyres and low rolling resistance is not possible based purely on PSI, the two are direct opposites of each other - increasing one decreases the other (an inversely proportional, canonically conjoined variable)

I am the chief weight whore of bmx-forum.com I believe, and I have gone as low as calculating the weight of the air in tubes, which is on the order of 14g or so I think at 60 PSI. Running the tyres at 120 PSI will just double that to 28g. With Kevlar tyres and thin innertubes you can loose a few hundred grams, but KHE MAC's (light Kevlars) are designed to be run at higher PSI, so all you'll get is a lighter bike but with the same lack of compression and hard landings - the thin KHE MACs like the 1 (1.7") are less stable than fatter tyres, absolutely rock solid at 120 PSI and cost a lot.

So, after much technical wankery that I have included to help you understand my conclusion, I have to agree

Make sure your knees are at least slightly bent whenever you land from something, whether on your bike or not. That way, the shock will be absorbed by your muscles and tendons stretching like springs, not your joints getting smacked up into early retirement

New Topics