Tire/Air pressure Discussion

• Discuss Tire/Air pressure Discussion in the BMX Racing forum in area BMX-Forum Community; keep in mind this is related to track racing: Has anyone tried the SuperCross blue Streak tires? i have a 2007 Redline Flight Pro XXL with the Comp... ...
D

Don 79 TA

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #1
keep in mind this is related to track racing:
Has anyone tried the SuperCross blue Streak tires?

i have a 2007 Redline Flight Pro XXL with the Comp III tires
i have used them in the past when i was younger and always loved em, never was able to afford comp IV's.

i am wondering how much better the Super Cross ones are
i am looking for something that will handle the asphalt turns at the track. the supercross ones also can handle higher tire pressures too

i run 50psi in the tires now, and i feel like it slides out on me, especially in turn 1 (left hander)

i have run 60psi, 60+, 40 and 30 as well, 40 and 30 seem to mushy for me.
I am 6' 240+ pounds, so i am a heavy rider.

i bought the supercross tires, but haven't put them on.
i also run a 44-16 gearing with 180mm cranks (which i seem to scrape often on the track)

What tires and pressures do you run?
get slippage in the turns?
spin the tires easily?

i do have some various ride times on my tires, they are new, but not brand new, as i know some tires need to break in.

as far as tubes, i have the stock flight tubes, was thinking of using the light wieght tubes when i swap to the supercross tires (again for racing).
however, since i am having a handling issue with the back end being so short and light, i may use a heavier thick tube.

L8Braker

L8Braker

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #2
Defnitely put the SuperCross tires on, I've not got any experience personally with them, but heard from many others they are a great tire. The Tioga's were great BITD but are a little long in the tooth now. Another tire that seems to really be catching on are the Intense Micro-Knobbies, they started making them in our sizes this year. My son runs them on his race bike and he won't race on anything else. Also consider Holy Rollers, another popular race tire. When I was racing I was running 60 - 75 psi in my tires, and I always made sure I to ran more pressure in the back than in the front. As far as tubes go, just use a standard tube, you don't gain anything by running a light weight tube IMO.

M

marks86

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #3
the best tire pressure is in the 60pds area

D

Don 79 TA

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #4
i'll give them a shot as soon as i get time to make the changes
i'm trying to dial-in the brakes first, which i've come along way learning.
once that is done, tires will be next as i am still learning this bike, epecially after being off for 20+ years

wild irish

wild irish

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #5
l8 braker is right about the holy rollers don. also check out the stuff from irc they make great tires that are uber light. i'm 5'10" 235 @ 37 y/o and i run about 65# in my tires. is it the front that feels like it slides out on you? if yes, check and make sure your bar angle is paralell to your fork rake angle. if it is the rear you may need to adjust your line in the turn(too low in the loose dirt or too high in the marbles at the top) try that and see if that helps----mugsy

D

Don 79 TA

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #6
it's the rear that slides out on me, it could be from a few things, like my entry into the sharp turn, the transition stuff (like "marbles")
i don't feel like i am going to "loose it" so to speak, but i have a feeling it's an accident waiting to happen.

how ever, it does sound pretty cool though

i run the 2.x up front and 1.75 in rear
i was also thinking about a 2.x in the rear to see how it handles

like i said, i have the tires and will try them shortly

H

haynesn12

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #7
i run a 1.85 holly roller pumped to 62 in the front and a 1.275 ritchey speeedmax pumped to 60 in the back

D

Don 79 TA

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #8
i just put on the Supercross tires and new tubes, just rode it really quick on the street and i can feel the better bite of them compared to the compIII's

we went to Meriden (Falcon BMX) today, however due to the rain it was cancelled
i plan to hit Shoreham tomorrow

M

marks86

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #9
ya so I just found out today that If I have my tire pressure two high like around 75pds and I bunny hop I will pop my tires, o and I run holyrollers

D

Don 79 TA

Tire/Air pressure Discussion post #10
yikes that had to suck...

let me tell you those supercross tires are AWESOME....
WOW
great grip in the asphalt turns
awesome traction on the track
definately a 10 rating out of 10

New Topics