tips on dialing brakes in?

• Discuss tips on dialing brakes in? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; does anybody have any tips on dialing the brakes in on my new bike? is there a certin way to adjust them so that they stop better? ...
C

cdwdylan

tips on dialing brakes in? post #1
does anybody have any tips on dialing the brakes in on my new bike? is there a certin way to adjust them so that they stop better?

K

Karl H. Marx

tips on dialing brakes in? post #2
What kind of brakes do you have?

Find some on google that look like them.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

tips on dialing brakes in? post #3
basically, you want as little friction as possible in all the moving parts on your brake setup and as much friction as possible between the pads and rim.

LUBE your cable
shortest staddle cable possible
LUBE your cables (tri-flow is good for this, dont use wd-40)
minimal spring tension- too much tension zaps power
toe-in your pads
clean your rims and pads
boil your pads in water- softens them up
LUBE your cable
grease the brake posts on the frame.
lube the pivot on your brake lever with grease.
did i mention that you should LUBE YOUR CABLE? tri-flow and white lightning work well.
replace the stock galvanized wire that comes with most brake cables with a stainless steel one. they are smoother.

T

t1jay

tips on dialing brakes in? post #4
i think you should lube your cable.

H

Hermes

tips on dialing brakes in? post #7
white lighting is a grease you fools

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

tips on dialing brakes in? post #8
^i think he knows that.

for the sake of clarity for those who don't understand the irony, that is NOT the kind of white lightning i meant.

also, some people like to wipe soda on their rim to make them sticky. this works, but it makes a mess and the acids in the soda tend to eat the finish off your rim. if you have an anodized or chrome rim, this can ruin your rim.

M

Marcus Poopy

tips on dialing brakes in? post #9
try harder?

KyleW

KyleW

tips on dialing brakes in? post #10
like he said boil your pads,that always worked for me. then i make it so theres barley any tension on my springs. after that wipe your rims with simple green cleaner or 409. thats my tips

X

XboxKid

tips on dialing brakes in? post #11
Keep the cables lubed up it helps alot.

Arch Enemy

Arch Enemy

tips on dialing brakes in? post #12
basically, you want as little friction as possible in all the moving parts on your brake setup and as much friction as possible between the pads and rim.

LUBE your cable
shortest staddle cable possible
LUBE your cables (tri-flow is good for this, dont use wd-40)
minimal spring tension- too much tension zaps power
toe-in your pads
clean your rims and pads
boil your pads in water- softens them up
LUBE your cable
grease the brake posts on the frame.
lube the pivot on your brake lever with grease.
did i mention that you should LUBE YOUR CABLE? tri-flow and white lightning work well.
replace the stock galvanized wire that comes with most brake cables with a stainless steel one. they are smoother.
he made it as clear as possible

E

EasternFoLife

tips on dialing brakes in? post #13
Cut off the mounts, file em down and sell your brake kit =)

Pickles

Pickles

tips on dialing brakes in? post #14
1)When dialing in your brakes,its like a car. You want to set your lever to where you want there to be the tension,then you want to tighten the lines. so heres how to do that with a bike

method one:
"The buddy system" as we call it at the shop,one person pulls the lever and squeezes the brake arms to the rim,the other person then tightens the cables. then the pads are adjusted to fit flush.

method two:
when there is no buddy,improvise. ROPE! Take some ropetie your lever to where you want it to be tight,then leave it there. Make sure this stays where it is,i usually do 2 ties on the lever.

tie your brake arms to the rim,I dont have a picture but you can figure this out. TIGHTEN those ****ers so that the brake pads are touching that rim,at this point you CAN take your brake pads and loosen them so they have play,doesnt matter if you dont though. I do,and it works good for me that way. So,your pads are loose and the arms and lever are set. Yank the cable,tighten it down. release the ropes,and then adjust the brake pads to be flush if needed.

using either method,final minor adjustments can be done with barrel adjusters. When Im setting up brakes I usually have my adjusters screwed out 1/3 of the way. My limit for a barrel adjuster,is that if its threaded out 2/3 of the way then I reset my brakes.

if you have a gyro itll be a bit more complicated but the same principal,but you can still do final adjustments with the barrel adjusters. :)

this works for cantilevers way better than 990s,but it still does work for 990s. I use the buddy system and the ropes method about 20-80. I like to use the ropes more.

-use a liquid lubricant for cables.
-some tension but not a lot.
-takes a lot of practice,ive been at it for 3 years...

I Ride A Bike

I Ride A Bike

tips on dialing brakes in? post #15
Lube your cable.

I dont think anyone's said that yet?

But yeah, it helps. And dont get the springs mega tight. Basically Jwnolte's post in here is all you need to know.

DAN1991

DAN1991

tips on dialing brakes in? post #16
Good advice from the above.

Grape Peeler

Grape Peeler

tips on dialing brakes in? post #17
what do you mean less tention on your springs i have my springs turned really hard i had this guy at the shop do mine and my shit springs are cranked. and how do you get the cracky feeling out of your lever?

T

t1517

tips on dialing brakes in? post #18
spoke straddle

all i have to say

M

magnumpink

tips on dialing brakes in? post #19
Also, keep your rims clean. Grease or oil on rims is bad stuff. I use vodka but there's other possibilities too.

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

tips on dialing brakes in? post #20

New Topics