The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #321
yeah, what happened at that crash was amazing...

Well, another old geezer that I know put up a video on youtube of his ramp footage. His shoulder is finally getting to the point that he can ride again. First person crazyness. From a 39 year old legend in Freestyle.

[video=youtube;8boRS9U2s8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8boRS9U2s8Y&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #322
A few months back I was reading the local paper when I came across this article, "Miami Township to bicyclists: Avoid Skatepark".

(the paper charges for old content, so here is the google catched link.)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Since most adults have no clue about our sport, or the sport of skateboarding they don't realize that "skatepark" is just a term and not "specific" for one brand of riding. (aka the same ramps used for bikes are used for boards).

And they were going to tell the police to start ticketing bmx'ers!?!

Well, can't have that in my town. So I called the board and found out the meeting was THAT day at 4:00. So I went over and took pictures of the park, talked to the police officer that was stationed AT the park to run off all BMX'ers, and then I went to the township trustee meeting.

I was the only person from the public there, and the skatepark issue was number 7 on the list... So I asked if I could say my piece and leave. They moved it to issue number 1 and gave me the floor.

Then I went on to tell them about the article above, and the way that skateparks are not "only for skateboards" anymore than ice rinks are only for hockey players. Broomball, figure skating, and others can use a ice rink easily without changing a thing.

I told them a little about my history, and enlightened them to what BMX can offer to the youth in our culture. Needless to say, they were shocked at the article linked, (the reporter was in the room, and tried to say it wasn't as critical as I was saying, but you can read it yourself...).

I told them they were hurting their town by discriminating against BMX'rs in such a way, and it was only going to divide the youth and create a dangerous environment as they don't understand the culture or the rules of a skatepark. They are very safe places IF you know what you are doing. (the entire incident started from a parent who took their VERY young child and dropped them off to let the park babysit for them and then was upset that the child was not babysat appropriately for free by the riders/skaters at the park... )

Anyway, long story short... I told them that there was no reason to make this a "skate only" park, and all over the country there were parks that offered both, and only area's that weren't educated about skateparks make such a boneheaded (and prejudiced) decision. (Course I said it more diplomatically than that...) My expert opinion was that the park was safe and built with the perfect protection for both bikes AND skateboards. (aka metal in the right places to protect the surfaces ect).

The comments blew up on the newspaper article, and most sided with me once I laid out my thoughts. And the board agreed with me, and guess what...

It sounds like they are going to just change the sign, allowing bikes in the park, just like my recommendation!

http://bmxriders.org/2011/03/miami-township-ohio-park-may-allow-bikes/

Woot!

I stopped by the park and the signs banning bikes are still up, but there was a kid on a bmx bike and I asked him if he was getting bothered about riding there anymore, and he said nope. The cops haven't been kicking them out anymore and it was all good!

See, a little BMX education helps out the township! But, what do you think would have happened if I had just ignored it like all the riders in our town, who didn't bother to show up for their park?

Get involved, because YOU can make a difference.

and if you head over to the skatepark in Miami Meadows park in Milford Ohio, the cops won't ticket you for having fun on your BMX.

M

Mychaylo

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #323
You are, without a isngle doubt in my mind, THE man.

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #324
Bah... I'm just a normal dude who loves having fun.

A few years ago, I went back to Raleigh NC where I grew up. And one of my very close friends (Marshall Johnson) who I've mentioned earlier in the thread lived right next to Shelley lake (a park in NC). It had a large lake, and trails on the other side of the lake, but our side was all woods. Which as a kid was perfect for us. We spend hours back in those woods building forts, cutting down trees (is that legal?) and making paths that were good enough we could ride our bikes back there. Best part was, it was totally private as no one ever went on that side of the lake, as there were no "official" trails. So we stopped ours in such a way that they wouldn't be obvious from people on the other side.

Man, was it fun, we would put up our tents and spend the night back there, and all kinds of shenanagins were had. One time beavers had built a dam, and we got the bright idea to use these beaver logs to build a raft to take into the lake. So we went back to Marshalls house and rummaged through his dads stuff (he was a famous violinist for the NC symphony) and we found some really nice rope... (turns out it was for climbing... aka super expensive).

We went down his driveway across the street and down our path into the woods and over to the beaver dam, where we selected a bunch of nice thick logs and tied them together with the rope.

Man, were we going to have a blast with this raft, how fun would it be to take it across the lake! So we pushed and pulled and got it over to the edge of the water, and of course we picked a spot where the water was deep.

We pushed the raft on over and

SPLASH it hit the water, and submerged... We waited for it to pop back to the surface... But, it dropped like a ROCK, and we never saw it again... We were planning on taking it apart and bringing the rope back, but that dude was now on the bottom of the lake...

DOH! Marshalls dad was NOT pleased. And with our track record of using up every single flammable item out of his garage to burn in the street, I guess I don't blame him... But we did have fun writing our names and watching them burn in cool blue flames!

Well, my wife has heard the stories about all the trails we built back there, and so when we were in Raleigh and needed to get out of my parents house, we headed over to Shelley lake so I could show her "our" trails.

You can imagine the shock when I got there, and they had PAVED every single one of our trails.

My wife couldn't believe they had used our trails, until we got way back there and there came a Y in the trail and I said that way leads to Marshalls Driveway...

She was like "yeah right"... So we went that way and she almost fell over as the trail literally ended across the street from Marshalls parents driveway just like I had told her so many years before!.

All perfectly paved with blacktop now. We used to run across this large pipe to get from the one side of the lake to the other, So our trail ended there... But, the park services built a bridge across the top of the pipe just so they could use the trails we made, as we made them wide enough so we could ride our bikes two wide with no trees blocking the path.

So if you pull up google maps streetview for 6317 Lakeway Drive Raleigh NC 27614, you will see the driveway where Marshalls parents lived when we were kids! Then turn the camera to the other side of the street and you will see the path we made that is now a permanent trail at Shelley lake!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ8gEwAA
Lol!

Last edited:
A

Adam

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #325
they have that trail on the map, it was a pretty long trail. that's really badass man, you must have had an incredible childhood.

I

insaneracin2003

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #326
FreeEnterprise,
I am at work and I thank you for not letting me get anything done today, I have been busy reading this entire thread....First of all, Thank You and your thanks to your buddies for me and a bunch of other people that read this for doing what you have done for the bmx'ers back then and for years to come.....I was riding pretty hardcore back in the 80's and remember vividly the street riding and tricks that were being done. I rode a GT Compe, Mongoose, and my favorite was my Haro. Did you know anyone that rode in the movie "Rad"?? That is my alltime favorite movie from back then and now my son watches it everyday. He is 9.
I just started back into bmx and being age 37, I have lost a little bit of my balance...haha. I just purchased a 2011 Stolen Sinner and man this bike it totally different from the bikes I rode back then.
I was talking to a younger guy at a park a few days ago and he had asked me if I rode back when I was younger and I excitedly said YES. I didn't think he would want to hear my stories from back then but he listened to a few and was actually interested...or he put on a good persona anyways...I was telling him about the mounted pegs that we put on our forks that fold down when doing tricks and he didn't undetstand what I was talking about...lol...
Anyways, I get very excited when I read your stories because it brings back sooooo many memories. Please keep them coming.

Hey everyone, if you have not seen the movie "Rad"...get it, the opening and closing scenes are great and show some really great flatland tricks that we used to do....
Thanks,
Paul

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #327
Paul,

Glad you enjoyed the thread. I know a few of the guys that were in Rad, Martin Apario, RL Osborn, and Eddie Fiola. But, Fiola not as well as the other guys, I have only seen him at events and shows, RL and Martin have gone riding with me in the past in Raleigh, so if I ran into them today, I am sure we would have some great stories from our shenanigans in the 80's.

If you want a good BMX movie that wasn't ever mass produced, try and find a copy of Aggroman. By Eddie Roman and Mat Hoffman. Classic film, one of my favorites.

"I'M GOING STREET RIDING!!!"...

Here is the first half.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8278845357118518780#

Last edited:
I

insaneracin2003

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #328
haha, That is awsome.....another one from back then is Curb Dogs, it is more of a skate movie but it did have some bike stuff in there.....

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #329
Played paintball a few weeks back with my new setup (Sony SR series HDD video camera mounted on my Tippmann A-5 paintball gun).

Well, after the news on Sunday night I threw this on youtube for a few laughs. Click 1080HD to see the footage in the best quality.

[video=youtube;EqRmeCCjn8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRmeCCjn8Y[/video]
Headshot!... Lol.

A

ARRESTMEIRIDEBMX

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #330
I actually love this thread

FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #331
Man I love reading this stuff. you should put pictures up of the batman button!:D

Yeah... I saw this button the other day, and remembered I forgot to post it.

M

Mychaylo

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #332
As a mod i command you to keep posting reguarly!!

D

DontKillMeM8

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #333
Awesome pic mate :D How many years you ride on bmx?

F

fastandloose

The Roots of BMX a pictorial by gm post #334
Bumping this thread, as it is always a good read.

New Topics