The Offical bike lightening thread

• Discuss The Offical bike lightening thread in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hey..this is were you all can post ways in which you have or could save weight with no silly ideas cos this is the OFFICAL lighting thread :roll: post... ...
  • Tags bike bikes parts
L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #1
hey..this is were you all can post ways in which you have or could save weight with no silly ideas cos this is the OFFICAL lighting thread :roll: post as many ways as you can..here i will start then..
-2 pegs or none if you ride street
-drill holes in pegs
-cut down seat post as much as possable
-buy lighter...even things like bar ends make a difference
-cut down bars
-no bar ends
-no grips :roll: cut of ALL extra metal ect on ya bike that ya dont need..like dropouts,corners,sharp parts,brake mounts and many more things
-remove un-needed parts such as back/front or BOTH brakes,gyro ect.. if not needed though
-drill parts such as seat,pegs,stem,rims and many other things
-cut axel down
-if pegs,brake lever ect are needed then just file as much of as possable of them
-cut nose of seat and end of levers of
-no heavy tires and heavy duty inner tubes cos they weight alot
-have super light spokes and as few as possable
-do not have lots and lots of layers of paint
-get smallest sprocket and pegs avalable
-14mm axels down to 10mm axels..10mm are lighter and stronger

just rember EVERY LITTLE TINY BIT of weight lost will all add up in the end..buy for drastic weight saving but LIGHT parts :wink: any1 else got ideas
leon luxton 8O

wtpbmx

wtpbmx

The Offical bike lightening thread post #2
you are crazy man :wall:

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #3
why am i crazy..me myself wouldnt do many of them cos they are just stupid but people do and will do it so....may of metioned em anyways..also if any1 had done any of the above weight reduction things plz post some pictures on here or PM or email them to me plz so we can get example pictures

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #4
drilled out rims...

could cuy your gyro tabs of..

drill your pegs out to save weight...

smaller gearing..

i will get some more pictures later on..

E

EPMD

The Offical bike lightening thread post #5
14mm axels down to 10mm axels..10mm are lighter and stronger
umm wrong there leon.. 10mm axels are weaker than 14mm in my books, ive bent 10mm axels just by tapping them on things but there are some that will be fine... i ride a 10 in the front :D

and i got one to add to your list

drilled axle... might be a little weaker but those who weigh less might use them

E

evanc

The Offical bike lightening thread post #6
Just to let you know, it's 'Lightening'.

I

infantry43RIDER

The Offical bike lightening thread post #7
ha.
i was waiting for that evan.

B

b_m_x_X_x

The Offical bike lightening thread post #8
some of thoses are too much

My bike is at 27 pounds, i run SS cranks and a 48 in the front, it's just watching ur weight, i've never TAKEN OFF MY GRIPS OR CUT MY PEGS, that's crazy.

E

EPMD

The Offical bike lightening thread post #9
evanc said:
Just to let you know, it's 'Lightening'.
he said they were stronger.. 10mm axels

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #10
EPMD said:
umm wrong there leon.. 10mm axels are weaker than 14mm in my books, ive bent 10mm axels just by tapping them on things but there are some that will be fine... i ride a 10 in the front :D

drilled axle... might be a little weaker but those who weigh less might use them
umm wrong them EPMD..10mm are stronger cos the ya are solid and 14mm are HOLLOW :D

K

kam_holmes

The Offical bike lightening thread post #11
that really true?! aint heard that before

E

EPMD

The Offical bike lightening thread post #12
leon_luxton said:
EPMD said:

umm wrong them EPMD..10mm are stronger cos the ya are solid and 14mm are HOLLOW :D
not ALL are hollow.. and why would most ppl be using 14 in the back instead of 10? im gonna make a vote to see which ppl think are stronger

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #13
well effriam(pro rider) told me that 14mm are weaker cos they are hollow and 10mm are not hollow so i just gonna belive that :roll:

S

Super S***

The Offical bike lightening thread post #14
god damn your a crazy ass bitch!! yeah taking off your grips may make your bike 5g lighter but u aint gonna have any wrists left!!! and cuttin parts of your frame off, well when you bail and your bike falls to bits...also, drilling holes in pegs is a bad idea unless your are a flatlander cuz when your crind on something like concrete, it can get caught in like little cracks ext and youll be ****ed :nono: may sound bull but its happened to my maye, got a broken arm.

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

The Offical bike lightening thread post #15
leon_luxton said:
well effriam(pro rider) told me that 14mm are weaker cos they are hollow and 10mm are not hollow so i just gonna belive that :roll:
hollow: less chance of bending, small chance of snapping increasing with size of hollowed out part
solid: more chance of bending, almost zero chance of snapping
you: dont sound much like a moderator bragging about pro riders
I: am going to take a hardcore nap because im sick as ****

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #16
erm...ok then.i was just saying what he said so that is bragging aint it..ERM NO..dumb ass :evil:

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

The Offical bike lightening thread post #17
Official bending/snapping topic under the lightening topic

Yea I am pretty dumb but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to bike stuff. Not all pros know everything. Effraiam also could have been ****ing with you if he isnt your friend. What difference does it make if a pro said something then?

I know someone who may be pro or not. Why should it matter if there are not too well known riders better than pros? In this case he is a pro and he doesnt know too much about bike parts and whatnot but he doesn't need to since he's so damn good at riding and can get advice on parts from anybody.

Let me give an illustration:
-A paperclip is small and bends easier because there is less material to be bent. a metal hammer handle is larger and is very hard to bend because there is more material to be bent.

-Take a spoon, put both hands together on the bent part and try to bend it. Its kinda hard. Now take those same hands that you used earlier, place them at each end of the spoon, and bend it. Its way easier isnt it?

-Would you rather tighten your axle nut with your hand near the top of a socket wrench or near the end? It's basic 6th grade science. The fulcrum is where the socket/extension fits on the socket wrench. Your hand pushing down on the end of the socket wrench is force 1 and the resistance of the axle nut to turn is force 2. There is no distance between force 2 and the fulcrum but there's a little bit of distance from force 1 and the fulcrum. The greater the difference of the distance of force 1 to the fulcrum minus the distance of of force 2 to the fulcrum, the less force you have to provide to bend it.

-You can apply the same thing to your axle bending. In this case, the point where your axle meets your frame's dropouts is the fulcrum. Force 1 will be the force of Leon jumping on his pegs or the force of someone slamming their pegs on a ledge and force 2 will be the resistance of your axle to bend. The more use of the end of the peg, the more likely for the axle to bend because of the ditance differences.

-A hollow axle is less likely to bend. The hole drilled through the axle acts as a support so that when lever forces are applied, the material is more resistant to bend. If enough of Force 1 is applied, the axle will snap instead of bending. The more material in an axle, the less likely it will be to snap.

Your homework will be to write me a 50 word summary of what you learned and it's due on Monday.

Leon's homework will be a 500 word summary of "Why I shouldn't believe what people tell me is right because they could be wrong and why I should use common sense and basic 6th grade science to figure out everyday things"

L

leon_luxton

The Offical bike lightening thread post #18
Re: Official bending/snapping topic under the lightening top

fenixbykeco said:
Yea I am pretty dumb but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to bike stuff. Not all pros know everything. Effraiam also could have been f*ck with you if he isnt your friend. What difference does it make if a pro said something then?

I know someone who may be pro or not. Why should it matter if there are not too well known riders better than pros? In this case he is a pro and he doesnt know too much about bike parts and whatnot but he doesn't need to since he's so damn good at riding and can get advice on parts from anybody.
well the reason i said he said it is beacuse he has been riding for 20years and i have been riding ALOT less..not even a year yet so he has experince with braking parts ect.. so thats why i said he said it... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

W

William

The Offical bike lightening thread post #19
The more you drill out of your bike the weaker the frame/pegs/seat post/ wheels become. Its a good idea to lighten your bike if you ride flatland, but do you really need a road bike light bike? I think bmxs are a good weight for the amount of stress they endure. I think you should leave your frame/fork/pegs/seat post/wheels alone. Your only going to san 1 or 2 pounds max, unless you make your bike look like Swish Cheese. But that’s just my opinion.

A

AnimalBikes_UK

The Offical bike lightening thread post #20
:lol: hahaha sack off all that light weight rubbish. I run about 40lbs of metal kizz with 14mm gsport hubs etc an i can still ride. making your bike light is a completely different thing to bmx!
rock n roll

New Topics