Stupid Question About Freecoasters

• Discuss Stupid Question About Freecoasters in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I was looking into getting a freecoaster for my bike, but after watching a few videos about it I have a question that I couldnt' find the answer to... ...
DJspeed128

DJspeed128

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #1
I was looking into getting a freecoaster for my bike, but after watching a few videos about it I have a question that I couldnt' find the answer to.

Say you are riding backwards with your freecoaster, can you pedal backwards to speed up? Or does the freecoaster only engage when you go forwards?

And also, can yall tell me whether or not I should get a freecoaster over a cassete hub.

AustinK

AustinK

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #2
please use the search.

No. you can not speed up. You would need a fixie for that.

Only get a freecoaster if you can ride fakie already. If you cant a freecoaster wont automaticly make it easier.
Plus a freecoaster has a lot of maintanence so unless you ride fakie a ton a cassette is better.

RyanBikez

RyanBikez

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #3
on a casette when you ride fakie the petals/cranks move back slowly and you can also decide to petal as fast as you want backwards with it but it wont speed you up.

a free coaster is when your riding fakie you just sit there and the petals/cranks dont move backwards and follow you.

seeing you dont know much about freecoasters and maybe your a beginner [MAYBE] you should get a casette. free coasters are like 100$ or higher

casettes are like 30 and under haha

Lemontime

Lemontime

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #4
As has been said, no, you can't.

When you're freecoasting, the driver is not making contact with anything other than the bearings, so pedalling backwards is the same as just free-wheeling, and won't have any effect on your speed.

Only get a freecoaster if you do actually intend to do lots of fakies. If you've ever broken a cassette hub's bearings, I'd say you probably shouldn't get a freecoaster, as they take alot more looking after and maintenance than a cassette..

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #5
if you could pedal backwards while going fakie and speed up, that would be awesome! supposedly the new g-sport coaster has that capability. imagine doing a 180, then cranking BACKWARDS at mach six so you have fakie-fullcab a 12-set. that would be rad.

unfortunately, today's freecoasters only coast when going backward.

MrMikexxxx

MrMikexxxx

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #6
brucie is gonna turn on khe when that gsport is out haha,

AustinK

AustinK

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #7
if you could pedal backwards while going fakie and speed up, that would be awesome! supposedly the new g-sport coaster has that capability. imagine doing a 180, then cranking BACKWARDS at mach six so you have fakie-fullcab a 12-set. that would be rad.

unfortunately, today's freecoasters only coast when going backward.

Seriously the g sport has that capability?. I know it is different from the standard type, but cranking backward? I might need to get one when they come out.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #8
George said something about it on another forum. i don't know if it will work on production models though. it would not be that hard to make a dual-clutch freecoaster that would have this capability. you could also ride brakeless and have a coaster brake this way.

AustinK

AustinK

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #9
a coaster brake:lol:

Is that the freecoaster that the clutch pushes on the shell not the bearing?

DJspeed128

DJspeed128

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #10
Okay thanks you guys. Big help.

LVNrider

LVNrider

Stupid Question About Freecoasters post #11
seeing you dont know much about freecoasters and maybe your a beginner [MAYBE] you should get a casette. free coasters are like 100$ or higher

casettes are like 30 and under haha
^^please tell us of this magical place^^

and i suggest getting a cassette aswell as you don't understand them and they need to be taken apart often and serviced

New Topics