Strong bike for heavy rider?

• Discuss Strong bike for heavy rider? in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Used to ride back in the 80's on a RedLine frame, but now I'm all middle aged and overweight. :cry: I want to get back into it, (partly to lose some... ...
  • Tags bike bike rider bikes bmx cranks felt bike parts
UKoldskool

UKoldskool

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #1
Used to ride back in the 80's on a RedLine frame, but now I'm all middle aged and overweight. :cry: I want to get back into it, (partly to lose some of the weight :wink: ) but I need to choose a bike that is going to take my weight coming down on it.

I currently weight 102kg, (16 stone or 225 pounds). Can someone tell me whether a good bike will take that? I have got my eye on a Wethepeople 4 seasons...

I

infantry43RIDER

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #2
any frame will take your weight...no problem with that...maybe for parts pick up some stuff that is oversized...like profile SS oversized cranks or solid cranks or something like that...for rims and stuff...any rim will do it doesn't really matter...
im sure that whatever parts you get if they are decent will be just fine.

T

Trimix

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #3
Cool man, I rode in the 80's too. Just got back in it last Summer. Infantry is right, any good bike will work......and it's not like you are going to be slamming it around the first week.....so as you start learning tricks that are more demanding on the bike....you will have lost the weight.

The conditioning and stamina is probably your first hurtle

I mean, I am 185 lbs, and I slam a Euro BB around all the time. Keep your spokes tweaked.

UKoldskool

UKoldskool

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #4
Thank you for your encouraging responses. Now all I have to do is decide what bike to buy…

I still have a couple of questions though:

1). I have noticed that buying a complete bike seems to be cheaper than buying the frame and parts separately and building your own. Is this because they bundle all the cheapest parts with a complete bikes?

2). I am currently living in France, where the most common BMXs are FELT bikes which are a good 30-40% cheaper than other brands. Are they any good though, or are they just cheaper because they’re cheap bikes?

3). I am thinking about a WeThePeople bike, probably a Thrillseeker or 4 Seasons, but there is a big difference in price between the Amateur and PRO models. In what way do they differ?
(Although I am definitely an Amateur, I was wondering if the PRO bike might cope better with someone of my weight?)

Thanks again,

Neil

I

infantry43RIDER

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #5
1. i wouldn't really put it the way you did...about all the cheapest parts...but yes...the "lower class" parts would go into a complete and its just cheaper to make...however most completes have very decent parts.

2. i don't think they are cheaper bikes...i wouldn't get a felt complete just because i personally don't like the frames and parts that they have.

3. ok and as for the PRO vs AM bikes for WeThePeople...well...really the only differences would be cranks...the AM just has a normal 3pc setup while the PRO has the WTP pro cranks which are very nice. the only other difference i noticed was the bars...pro = WTP people bars while the am only has regular basically no name bars i would say (which im guessing hold up real good though)...
if you have the extra mon mon i would definitely go pro...just me...but the AM has mostly the same parts...so yea.

UKoldskool

UKoldskool

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #6
Thanks infantry for your response. I'm interested in hearing others opinions as well. To re-cap, the questions were, in essence:

1). Are complete bikes bundles with the cheapest parts as default?

2). Are FELT bikes any good?

3). What is the difference between Amatuer and PRO series models?

Thanks,

Neil

T

Todd

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #7
Okay I may only be 17, but I'm 6'2 and close to 200lbs. And I ride the most expensive, strongest, heaviest gear I can get my grubby hands on for the fact that anything else is going to give me trouble, if you are going to buy a complete, go for a pro, like a Volume Compton or something. Put forward more money, don'tskimp thinking you'll save moneybecause you'll end up buying parts later if you are serious about riding. Don't mind weightof parts, because you are bigger and stronger, and able to handle something like an 8lb frame and such. Just go for strong, and rely on www.bmx-test.com for reviews.

Federal_Foundation

Federal_Foundation

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #8
my-friend-jason-is-about-300-pounds-maybe-alittle-more-and-he-can-shred-really-good-,-he-has-been-ridieing-for-about-7-years-but-he-doesnt-lose-any-of-the-weight-lol

L

Lunchbox

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #9
my-friend-jason-is-about-300-pounds-maybe-alittle-more-and-he-can-shred-really-good-,-he-has-been-ridieing-for-about-7-years-but-he-doesnt-lose-any-of-the-weight-lol
shit son thats insane. i'm about 225-230 lbs. and my parents keep telling me to quit cuz i'm to heavy (even though i've been losing weight since I started)

S

stolen_rider

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #10
Whats-with-the-lines-in-between-every-word?
Didnt-nobody-tell-you-bout-the-spacebar?

Federal_Foundation

Federal_Foundation

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #11
gee-smart-ass-im-just-doing-it-for-my-health....space-bars-broken-i-think-you-would-be-able-to-come-to-that-conclusion-by-your-self-JEW!

UKoldskool

UKoldskool

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #12
You know you can pick up a new keyboard for under 10 bucks!?

T

Trimix

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #13
Federal_Foundation said:
gee-smart-ass-im-just-doing-it-for-my-health....space-bars-broken-i-think-you-would-be-able-to-come-to-that-conclusion-by-your-self-JEW!
Federal - you MUST be from the south....lol

T

Trimix

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #14
UKoldskool said:
Thank you for your encouraging responses. Now all I have to do is decide what bike to buy…

I still have a couple of questions though:
1). I have noticed that buying a complete bike seems to be cheaper than buying the frame and parts separately and building your own. Is this because they bundle all the cheapest parts with a complete bikes?
2). I am currently living in France, where the most common BMXs are FELT bikes which are a good 30-40% cheaper than other brands. Are they any good though, or are they just cheaper because they’re cheap bikes?
3). I am thinking about a WeThePeople bike, probably a Thrillseeker or 4 Seasons, but there is a big difference in price between the Amateur and PRO models. In what way do they differ?
(Although I am definitely an Amateur, I was wondering if the PRO bike might cope better with someone of my weight?)

Thanks again,

Neil
1) You can get a good solid complete with good parts, look at DK, Haro, FIT, WTP......don't skimp and go the extra. Get 48H spokes, stay with an American BB, etc. The reality is you will find things you don't like about ANY bike you buy and will change some things.
2) Never heard of FELT. Nice flash site though :)....their framesets look nice.
3) WTP is good, don't get too crazy on costs you are just starting out :)

I don't think a "PRO" frame would be of any benefit, most PRO riders ride much softer and more fluid than any of us.

L

Lunchbox

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #15
who cares

oh well who cares that his space bar is broken.... we can still read what he writes so who cares if it's-written-like-this or like this
(but-he-writes-starts-to-write-like-this-then-we-make-fun-of-him )

I

infantry43RIDER

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #16
don't be hatin on pink!

Federal_Foundation

Federal_Foundation

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #17
(but-he-writes-starts-to-write-like-this-then-we-make-fun-of-him )
yeah.....wtf-does-that-mean?-he-writes-startes-to-write-like-this?

I

infantry43RIDER

Strong bike for heavy rider? post #18
if i had to take a guess on the translation...i would venture to say...

"If he starts to type like this"

and it being in pink...

shit nevermind i have no idea where im going.

New Topics