[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)?

• Discuss [street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey people, maybe it is a nice idea to make a topic with all tips about chosing a bike which you make from scratch. What parts do you need, for... ...
  • Tags bike bmx parts street street bike
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FOL

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #1
Hey people, maybe it is a nice idea to make a topic with all tips about chosing a bike which you make from scratch.

What parts do you need, for every part, what should you know about it, important things like tube sizes etc. Don't talk about brands here, that's up to them (for who this topic is meant), but just all tips and tricks for chosing a good bike.

Small example: long brake cables or gyro's? Well it depends if you will barspin and tailwhip alot. If you do, go for the gyro. Otherwise go for the cable. Watch out that when using <etc etc>

Let's start for a street/ park bike.

(I hope people like this idea, and help as much as possible and want to put time in this and then I think bmx-zone has a pretty nice (and unique?) (and hopefully detailed) documentation about assembling a bike. :))

This way newbies can learn more about the technical side of a BMX. (I know there are tech guru's with much knowledge about many parts out there, IE infantry, ice rocket, evan) and together with evanc's bicycle repair text, I bet newbies can get more technical all the way :)

L

LuMpY

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #2
I got a tip: BUY WHAT YOU LIKE/WANT. Everyone's tastes are too different to make this a helpful topic IMHO.

E

EPMD

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #3
LuMpY said:
I got a tip: BUY WHAT YOU LIKE/WANT. Everyone's tastes are too different to make this a helpful topic IMHO.
i second that.

S

sentaafEQpovar

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #4
ok, if ur a bit brutal and like to land hard and thrash your bike, look for strong heavy parts... if u are a dandy rider and plan on riding smoother, light dandy parts might be nice

F

federal_rider12

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #5
well u get what u want but FOL to describe what to get i couldnt sit here for 3 hours just writin that id rather tell whoever in person much easier and quicker and much easier for them to understand

F

FOL

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #6
Well of course it is true that you should buy whatever you like and for that reason I certainly didn't ask for any brand names. But just like the gyro/long brake discussion there are more parts where you can consider different options:
-freewheels/freecoasters
-sizes of handelbars, why would you use a longer or shorter one.
-if you take the gyro, make sure you watch out for these brake cables.
-double coated lever (WTP hi slick) are pretty useless because...unless...
-a sprocket guard is nice, but not really working because your chain gets a blast anyway

(above things are examples, don't take this as true or whatever, I just made it up as an example :))
such things can be set about many parts I think, so it wouldn't be so bad would it?

R

rocket

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #7
If this topic blew up then there wouldnt be half the topics there are right now. (like the straight cable or gyro?) id rather see more separate topics then kinda craming a bunch into one. ya know? :hmm:

F

FOL

[street]chose bike from scratch. What do you need (to know)? post #8
aight :) I'll lock it then and shoot some questions if I have any

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics