Sprocket

• Discuss Sprocket in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey all, im back, havent made a post in a few weeks, but anyway, on with it! I have been in a dilemna at my local skate park recently, they have 4... ...
  • Tags bike bmx bmx shop review shop
C

cav89

Sprocket post #1
Hey all, im back, havent made a post in a few weeks, but anyway, on with it!

I have been in a dilemna at my local skate park recently, they have 4 foot quarter pipes which, btw, i can do easily, the problem is, im afraid to drop in because of the coping, and because I CLIP MY SPROCKET EVERY SINGLE TIME. i no most of you will say to lift my back wheel up a bit when im dropping in, i have tried this, and, i can do it, but i dont always remember to do it, and end up falling....

i have come up with a simple solution of getting a smaller sprocket, ie; a 36 tooth sprocket, which i can get, but the problem is, i cannot find any reviews of the sprockets. i am looking at a "construction" sprocket, this, apparently, is exactly the same as the demolition/volume sprocket, but is available in a smaller size.

If anyone has any information about this sprocket that might be useful, please tell me.

OR

If anyone has any recommendations for 36tooth sprockets that are affordable, and good quality, please inform me of these.

one last thing, i am going to be sprocket grinding alot, the construction sprocket looks like it would be able to handle it if i was able to purchase the sprocket guard. i cannot find where i can purchase this in australia, if anyone knows where and how much i can find this for, please tell me,

thanks

cav

T

traildemon

Sprocket post #2
ehm..i've never heard about a constuction sprocket..so I'm afraid I won't be able to help you with that..but if you're going to switch to a smaller sprocket you're also going to have to change your freewheel..but than again I just read that someone uses a 36-16 gear ratio or something like that. I'll just remind you thatif you're going to change your freewheel to a 14 or less, you have to have a flipflop hub.
Anyway, if you're going to do a lot of sprocket grinds than it would be better to buy a sprocket which allows you to put on a bashguard. Just see whatever you can get your hands in in your local bike/bmx shop.
And than I might give you some advice, or you could just buy it online. Sorry it's not quite what you needed to hear but like i said, if you look around and tell us which sprockets are available in your area we might be able to help you out

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Sprocket post #3
yeah, you cant just put a small sprocket on the front and keep or 16 freewheel (or whatever you have got) otherwise your gear ratio will be messed up and you will have a low top speed (but high acceleration). if you want a 36t, you will have to get a cassette hub on the rear with a 13t cog (unless you allready hava cassette hub - if thats the case wack a 13t cog on)

as far as spocket reviews go, check out this site: http://www.bmx-test.com/

but if you want a really good sprocket that willl resist bending, and any other type of damage, get a rnc (not the lite) check ouy this site:
http://www.rncmfg.com/products.html

S

sentaafEQpovar

Sprocket post #4
manuel your tire a little over the coping before you jump in, or ride parralel along the coping, and then just work up a quick fat gut and bunnyhop in... scary as ****

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket post #5
well you dont just ride in when you drop in you do a very small bunnyhop or lif the front wheel up over the coping push down when your half way in and kick the back tire up or do a push in where you take one foot off your bike and push off the deck to drop in put whatever you do dont go straight down go in at an angle and doin that way you can sometimes cheat your way by picking up the front wheel barely and ride in

C

cav89

Sprocket post #6
first thing........i now how to drop in!

the thing is, i clip my sprocket on the coping, i used my friends bike which is the same weight, and dimensions, but with a 36t sprocket, and did it easy, but i clip it with mine....

Secondly......
http://www.strictlybmx.com/dynamic/shop/product-group.asp?category=16
This is an australian website which i can order from online, on this page there are a variety of sprockets and freewheels.
i will also write the names of each item at the end of this post.

Thirdly, i do not want to spend an exessive amount of money. That RNC site has some tempting products, however, prices are in USD$ and then i need to add shipping.....

Fourthly, i have found a 39t sprocket which may suffice. it is a Hi-Tech Grind Sprocket and comes with the bash guard for only $100AUD.
Does anyone have views on this sprocket?

Thanks again. NEXT TIME THOUGH, could i only get responses which offer helpful info about the sprockets, not about dropping in, which i did not need to know. Although it may still be helpful to other readers, it is not helpful to me. Thanks anyway guys.....

catch you all later :D:D:D

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Sprocket post #7
ok, well out of the ones on the site which you just linked, the construction does look good, but i have to admit i have never heard of construction (maybe its a aus only co), and the price seems good. in fact most of the sprockets seem pretty damn good. it just depends on what you want, (strong or light etc) and how much money you have to spend.

if you want a cheap one, the construction looks good.

if you want a pretty good all round sprocket - reasonably light, reasonably strong and a good price - check out the demolition.

if you want a nice light one, look at the fbm, fbm 6013, or the animal.

if you want a super strong one, the profile blackjack will be good.

however i would really recommend the standard animal sprocket (not the light) as is is really good quality, will last against wear, is strong and will not bend easily, and is not too heavy. if you can afford it, get the animal.

check out the reviews here: http://www.bmx-test.com/

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket post #8
ok im lost you know how to drop in but your chainwheel hits the coping??? well it doesnt matter how big the chainwheel is, if you can drop in then you wont hit the coping i use to have a 44t and droped in without hitting the coping and now i have a 36t and i still dont hit unless your chainwheel is dragging i dont think your totally making it into the pipe or your not dropping in right now dont get all mad and start getting pissed off at what i said but it doesnt make since why you know how to drop in but your chainwheel hits the coping but when you ride your friends bike 36t chainwheel you dont-- you can drop in with any size chainwheel and not hit

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket post #9
sense*

E

EPMD

Sprocket post #10
ever heard of the edit button federal??

haha :lol: ...

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket post #11
nope

<<<remember im stupid and dont know how probably simple and im overlooking it but im stupid

S

sentaafEQpovar

Sprocket post #12
unless your sprocket is like 22 inches.... bigger than your wheels

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket post #13
:lol: ^^^ yeah hey im smart i found the edit button>>>>>>>>>>>>^^^^

C

cav89

Sprocket post #14
Thanx Mr_shrapnel...that info is good, the thing is, i wanted to get one that comes with a bash/grind guard to even further reduce the risk of damage.

Federal_Rider12, i can understand ur confusion, and it confuses me to, it is something i do not understand at all, but it happens.....the quarters at this park, the coping sticks out a fair way avoer the tranny, cus its a really big pipe that they used......its all strange.....

santaafEQpovar, this topic is for positive info only, not stupid input.....
a chainwheel bigger than a wheel, waste of a post, no offense or shit, but still :roll: ....

Back to Mr_Shrapnel....

you seem to know alot about this, so, if you, or, anyone else, can help me with this one, itd be good.

Ive heard that if i were to get a smaller sprocket, i may have to get a smaller chain and/or freewheel...... i have no idea what would be sutible if i did... and i dont think i can afford much anyway...

i have no idea what sort of hub or axle i have, they are just the ones that came with the bike, cus ive had it for a year and a bit, and i ride hard for a novice, and they havent been damaged so yer....i kept em.......

i have just 1 more query for you all.......

i only have one peice cranks, because, firstly, three-peice r two expensive right now, and secondly, my one-peices work fine..... would having one-peice affect what sprocket i can get, ie; do i have to have three peice, or will 1-peice still fit?

Thanks once again

C

cav89

Sprocket post #15
ha... i was just lookin thru the post, and, in fact, it WAS Mr_Shrapnel who told me about having to get a smaller freewheel, so disregard that part of my post, i thought it was one of my friends, so anyway, dont mind me, im just insane :D :D

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Sprocket post #16
ok if you want to keep a simelar gear ratio to the one you have got (eg are happy with the acceleration and top speed of your bike) then these are the gear ratios you can have (give or take 1 tooth on the sprocket - not the freewheel/cog)

44-16
39-14
36-13
33-12
30-11
27-10
25-9

i am presuming you have a 44-16 gearing (44t sprocket, and a 16t freewheel) this means that unless you have a flip-flop hub (a hub that will allow you to run a 14t freewheel on one side if you filp it over) then you WILL HAVE to get a new rear hub, which has either got a metric thread for 14t, a flip-flop hub (also has a metric ans sometimes imperial thread) or a cassette hub (unless you want a freecoaster...but you dont so forget i said it)

a cassette hub allows you to change the size of your rear cog between about 12t-16t +, and if you get a driver for a cassette hub (eg a profile hub, primo, odyssey, demoliton etc) you can take the rear cog down to the ever erotic 9t. meaning you can have a 25-9 gearing without any change in the acceleration of top speed compared to a 44-16 which you run at the moment. (hope you are following this)

conclusion = unless you have a flip-flop hub or a cassette hub, and you dont intend to buy one, you cannot get a smaller sprocket, otherwise your gear ratio will be ****ed up royally.

ok sprockets WITH BASH GUARDS: the fbm 6013 will be quite nice and light plus you can add a bash guard, however even though it uses 6013, it will be quite weak and may bend a little to easy.

the fbm bashgurd sprocket is probably the best all round, not too heavy, very strong, has a bash guard with it, high quality, made with high quality materials. rider owned.

the high tech i imagine should last, and would be a good choice if you dont want to spend to much cash.

however you should note that you can get sprockets that still last very well even though they dont have a bash guard on eg the odyssey richard gear, and the animal og

C

cav89

Sprocket post #17
hey

thanx again, ill have to check that out, but you sure know what ur talking about (at least, thats the impression im under)

what happens to your gear ratio, if, say, i got a 36t sprocket and kept a 16t freewheel? would my bike have less top and acceleration or would it be quicker?

also, what do you think of the profile blackjack sprocket? according to reviews ive read on www.bmx-test.com its pretty light, its thick, and its durable, and it looks pretty kool to......
would it be worth it getting one of those?

i have decided to start ripping up my sprocket on grinds now, that way if i get a new sprocket, it weill be when mine is wrecked, so it wont be a waste of money...... cus im replacing a damaged part.........

I

infantry43RIDER

Sprocket post #18
the profile blackjack is amazingly strong...thats my 2 cents.

and if you run that fatty chain..you can get the blackjack in 3/16 size.

C

cav89

Sprocket post #19
yeh i know, but the problem is, i dont know how to replace chains and stuff....
ie, breaking them and reconnecting them........
but thats pretty much what i wanted to do.........i was looking at the KMC 415 actually.......

the other problem, is, i cant afford a flip-flop hub atm for a 14t freewheel....
http://www.strictlybmx.com/dynamic/shop/product-group.asp?category=11
what are your recommendations for freewheels from them?

What about the tuff neck cassette hub with 14mm axle?
or the tuff neck rear hub? heres what it sez:
"Tuff neck Rear Hub
$ 58 ON SPECIAL. 36 or 48 hole.Flip flop sealed bearing design. silver or black. Normally $65"

Does that mean its a flip-flop hub or what? i dont know too much bout hubs, i can fix anything else on a bike, i just never done hubs so i dont no what they r like....... if u follow me

I

infantry43RIDER

Sprocket post #20
although i could break chains...im lazy and just give it to a shop.

New Topics