Sprocket Size

• Discuss Sprocket Size in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; I have a few questions about the general topic of sprocket size. 1) Is it better to have a large sprocket (44 tooth), or a smaller one, say 36... ...
A

afroboy360

Sprocket Size post #1
I have a few questions about the general topic of sprocket size.

1) Is it better to have a large sprocket (44 tooth), or a smaller one, say 36 tooth?

2) If I switch over to a smaller sprocket, do I need to change my freewheel size (16 tooth)?

3) What, in your opinion, is the best gear ratio for street riding?

Thanks.[/list]

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket Size post #2
well bigger or smaller dont really matter but running smaller then a 30t chainwheel your risking strength and you dont have to change to a smaller freewheel/cassette but to maintain a 44/16 ratio you will--i run a 36/16 right now and its just fine for me since i didnt have the money for a cassette hub and everyone will come on here and tell you that its stupid and you wont be able to pedal and you will get tired very quickly but yes you wont be able to go as fast but you can get some good speed with that ratio no matter what any one says they havent rode the ratio so they dont know, but im getting a cassette here soon so i will run a 36/13 but if you dont have the money for a cassette and want a 36t chainwheel buy it you can run the 16t freewheel and do just fine unless you race and later on when you get the money you can buy a cassette--now as of the best ratio its up to you everyone has a different opinoin i would say something just below the 44/16, lets say if you buy the 36t chainwheel run like a 14t cassette/freewheel(flip/flop hub)

O

oibmxpunx

Sprocket Size post #3
and if u dont have flip-flop to run a 14t free wheel u can get one of thes ac 15t free wheels that thred on to the 16t side

A

afroboy360

Sprocket Size post #4
Bunny Hops

Well, I wanted to change to a lower ratio, because when I Buny Hop I go to fast and it makes it harder. Would 36/16 be good for me?

RuLe

RuLe

Sprocket Size post #5
no if u go 36 sproket do a 12 or 13 with that

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket Size post #6
12 with 36 nnnnnnooooooo bad gear thats higher then 44/16 ratio but if you want a lower speed it depends 36/16 will lower your top speed a bit but it will make you accelerate way quicker which means higher speed quicker then 44/16 ratio but thats another thing ive really like this gear since it limits my speed a bit, but still fast, and i dont have to jam the brakes before i attempt something thinking im moving to fast and then that screws up my flow or just plan screws up my attempt at what im doing but go ahead and muy the chainwheel and go from there unless the speed thing is about acceleration not the top speed but really it shouldnt matter with speed when doing a bunnyhop depending on the circumstances of the bunnyhop

A

afroboy360

Sprocket Size post #7
39 tooth?

I can't afford o buy a cassette hub, so lower than 15 tooth is out of the question. Maybe 36:16 is not fast enough, but I want more accleration than a 44:16 ratio. Would a 39:16 ratio be good?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Sprocket Size post #8
i think i wrote a pretty good article about this a few posts back, so maybe you should try doing a search for that.

1 the two advantages of a large sprocket eg 44, is that 1, sprocket wera will be less so the sproket will last longer, 2, there is a slighlty larger varity of this to sprocket stall as when you land your rear wheel will be closser to the ground with a small sprocket (ok ok i know thats a lame one), and generally you chain will last longer as less strain will be put on it.

2, yes - if you want to keep the same gear ratio as you are running now (see th article i mentioned)

3, there isnt one, its all personal prefrence

R

rocket

Sprocket Size post #9
Re: 39 tooth?

afroboy360 said:
I can't afford o buy a cassette hub, so lower than 15 tooth is out of the question. Maybe 36:16 is not fast enough, but I want more accleration than a 44:16 ratio. Would a 39:16 ratio be good?
Listen: Buy a 14 tooth freewheel and a 36T sprocket. to use a 14T freewheel, you will need to have a flip flop hub. 36-14 will give you faster acceleration but not too much. if you have to stick with a 16T freewheel then get a 43T sprocket. it has a nice acceleration too...better than 44-16
39-16 would be way too much!!

I

infantry43RIDER

Sprocket Size post #10
or you can just buy an odyssey 13t freewheel...you can preorder them now.

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket Size post #11
42/16 40/16 39/16 39/15 try one of those if you are afraid of running the 36/16 but if you dont have a flip flop hub make sure you get a freewheel that works on a standard hub, the only freewheel i know thats a 15t and threads onto a normal hub is AC

R

rocket

Sprocket Size post #12
federal_rider12 said:
42/16 40/16 39/16 39/15 try one of those if you are afraid of running the 36/16 but if you dont have a flip flop hub make sure you get a freewheel that works on a standard hub, the only freewheel i know thats a 15t and threads onto a normal hub is AC
good luck finding a 42 sprocket (besides profile). 15t freewheels are pointless unless you race. and 36-16 is dumb idea. :?

afroboy dont have a lot of money so i would think he wants to spend little as possible and from what he said he wants, i think we would all agree that a 39-16 would work good for him. or 36-14 if he has a flip flop. making it simple helps a lot :wink:

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Sprocket Size post #13
you ****! dont listen to them and their crazy gear ratios. ok sure you can loose one or two teeth on your sprocket, but you really want to keep a 2.75 ratio, unless you actually try a different ratio before, and like it. otherwise you could be wasting a lot of money.

44-16 (45 and 43 too)
39-14 (38 too)
36-13
33-12
30-11
28-10 (or 27 if you can find one)
25-9

R

rocket

Sprocket Size post #14
Mr_Shrapnel said:
you c*ck! dont listen to them and their crazy gear ratios. ok sure you can loose one or two teeth on your sprocket, but you really want to keep a 2.75 ratio, unless you actually try a different ratio before, and like it. otherwise you could be wasting a lot of money.

44-16 (45 and 43 too)
39-14 (38 too)
36-13
33-12
30-11
28-10 (or 27 if you can find one)
25-9
did you not read that he wants fast acceleration? faster than normal?

RuLe

RuLe

Sprocket Size post #15
i dotn want to go to dans and try every gear ratio but

Street = Faster accleration slower top speed

36 - 14 = Street

thats all i no because thats what i ride

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket Size post #16
ok find what you like but saying its crazy to ride a 36-16 no i go to the parks and i let some guys ride my bike and they love the ratio i have right now, im getting a cassette now that comes with 13-14-16 cogs i will be able to find what i like. a normal ratio would be in the 44/16 but its not what you have to stay in experiment go wild try what you want you may come to find its what youve been looking for i took a chance i had to decide between 36t and 39t i choose 36 and i dont regret it

but if you still say im crazy for a 36/16 well then you havent met the retard who is running a 25/16, now tell me im crazy for a 36/16

RuLe

RuLe

Sprocket Size post #17
LOL when i first got my cassette hub and had a 44t sproket. i was running

44 - 14 LOL which was so hard to pedal but top speed was good. then got a fbm sproket 36

O

oibmxpunx

Sprocket Size post #18
so what are u rideing now 36-14?

F

federal_rider12

Sprocket Size post #19
me or rule?

i will be riding a 36/14 when i get that wheel might see if i can pay it off by like friday, i would put more money on it but didnt have enough gas to travel the 120 mile round trip to the shop hell i didnt have enough for a 50 mile trip

travelling the distance is the worst part

O

oibmxpunx

Sprocket Size post #20
rule

New Topics