Spokes: tighten them?

• Discuss Spokes: tighten them? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; My spokes seems lose, I can move them...how do you tighten them? by tightening the little 'screws' near the rim? ...
  • Tags bike gt shop
F

FOL

Spokes: tighten them? post #1
My spokes seems lose, I can move them...how do you tighten them? by tightening the little 'screws' near the rim?

rait1

rait1

Spokes: tighten them? post #2
yes by turning these little things.Be careful u can screw up ur rim easily

F

FOL

Spokes: tighten them? post #3
what to look out for? Not to tighten them too hard? And how can I asure that doesn't happen?

T

Trails/street/bmx

Spokes: tighten them? post #4
FOL said:
what to look out for? Not to tighten them too hard? And how can I asure that doesn't happen?
you feel it when your spokes get to tight if you feel that they cant go further stop

F

FOL

Spokes: tighten them? post #5
ok thanks, last question:

Any special tool for it, or just a pincers?

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Spokes: tighten them? post #6
well, you should only really tigthen them if one or two loose, if they are all loose then you will probably need to have your rim trued at a bike shop, otherwise when you tighten them you will actually take your rim out of alighnment, and it will be all wobly. however i you just have one or two to tightne then you can do this two ways, tightne the nipple using a spoke wrench (or pliers - allthough you can mess your nipples up a bit by doing that), or take your tire and inner tube off, and you can also tighten your spokes up by use of a screw driver. you should be able to see where the spokes join the rim when you take you tire off, just use a screw driver to tighten the inner rim nipple section - if that makes any sense.

F

federal_rider12

Spokes: tighten them? post #7
yeah a spoke wrench is very useful in tightening spokes when you dont want to remove the tire and tube. but you cant just tighten one spoke all tghe way then do the same to the next, you need to just get it back and move on to the next and when all are not really moveable tighten the spokes. but if the wheel is a bit off from perfectly round its time to get it trued, and yeah if all the spokes are loose then its probably best to get it on a truing stand so it doesnt get pulled to one side or the other.

my new tire is in need of this too, its brand new and ive riden it 4 times and all my spokes move and quite a few i could remove the nipple with my fingers!!!!! now that explained why i kept hearing some weird noises and never had a hard landing. oh well got to tighten them and i dont got a stand but my brakes are completely straight and i using those to help me

B

bruisedbob

Spokes: tighten them? post #8
If you get a new wheel you should tighten them for after every ride until the wheel is kinda broken in. Then you can tighten them at more lengthy intervals.

Fol -this might be the reason your back wheel gets lopsided. If all the spokes need to be tightened, go around the wheel using 1/4 turns. Remember the spokes tighten counter clockwise. I spent two hour truing and tightening my rear wheel after tightening only the loose spokes. It was mad screwed up. Time well spent because my wheel is straight and tight as prom night.

F

FOL

Spokes: tighten them? post #9
I was actually posting this topic, because of loose spokes on my (brand new) street bike an not my flatland bike (which had the back wheel issue). But I'll check that one as well, thanks

B

bruisedbob

Spokes: tighten them? post #10
Oh (slaps self) If you got rear brakes you can use them to true your wheels just be careful that you don't put the rim off center of the hub. If you're unsure go to a bike shop. It's been raining here so I thought I'd teach myself something.

Canadian_BMX

Canadian_BMX

Spokes: tighten them? post #11
dude...truing a rim (tightening/loosening spokes) is incredibaly hard. It takes lots of skill and experience in order to do it right. If it is just one or two spokes, you can do it urself if u want, but if you feel ur rim wobbles side to side, get it trued by sum1 at ur local bike shop. The slighest mistake could ruin that brand new rim.

Personally i true my rims about once or even twice a month. I used to have this mountain bike which i just didnt bother truing, and after a few 180s (attemps lol) i saw the rim wobbleing lick 1cm to the right. I didnt true it and after a week...it became unfixable. If ur rim bends past 1cm, dont bother...its time for a new rim.

Some pro trials ppl get their rims trued like 2 times a week. 8O

at $15 a pop...2 times a week...well thats alot of money... :wink:

RuLe

RuLe

Spokes: tighten them? post #12
this is a tool you are suppost to use

F

federal_rider12

Spokes: tighten them? post #13
thats a multi purpose spoke wrench, you can use on many size nipples, but you dont need a tool. but its best to get one so you dont have to keep taking the tire off to tighten the spokes everytime. but truing a wheel is hard when you hand true it, if you got the truing stand its easy. i have hand tured a wheel and it took quite some time and i got it almost perfect.

B

bruisedbob

Spokes: tighten them? post #14
Rule your rim has finger prints on it. How sloppy! :lol:

F

federal_rider12

Spokes: tighten them? post #15
hahaha mine is dusty, has a bit of rust(from metal ledge when i grinded), and finger prints. oh my, me be dirty boy :lol:

W

William

Spokes: tighten them? post #16
why don't you get your local shop to fix your wheels? it would save you time and the pain, wondering if you screwed up.

F

FOL

Spokes: tighten them? post #17
the oldskool example:

Give him a fish and he'll survive for one day. Learn him how to fish and he'll live for many more days :p

New Topics