Splined Crank Question

• Discuss Splined Crank Question in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; So then..If my right crank bolt is loose and my left crank bolt is tight and I tighten my right bolt will it still pull the spindle through the left... ...
K

Karl H. Marx

Splined Crank Question post #1
So then..If my right crank bolt is loose and my left crank bolt is tight and I tighten my right bolt will it still pull the spindle through the left arm? If I loosen both and tighten them bolt at the same time with 2 allen keys will it balance out?

INB4 primo brigade.

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

Splined Crank Question post #2
It doesn't matter, the arm can only go a certain distance down on the spindle, like you wouldnt be able to forever tighten it till it got to the other side would you? Just do one after the other.

K

Karl H. Marx

Splined Crank Question post #3
Obviously my question wasn't clear enough.

With splined cranks, if you tighten one bolt when the other side doesn't have a bolt in then it slides the arm off the spindle.

Anyone else got any input?

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Splined Crank Question post #4
what are you trying to accomplish? taking them off? putting them on? is this just a theory question?

K

Karl H. Marx

Splined Crank Question post #5
Theory question.
I already know it takes the arm off obviously.

But if it pushes on arm so its not fully on the spindle (even with the bolt on) it's obviously going to deform the spindle boss and the cranks will end up with profile wobble..

So I want to know if it does it even with the bolt in and if tightening them both at the same time stops it from happening.

TheSamurai

TheSamurai

Splined Crank Question post #6
hmm, not entirely sure. interesting question though.

Pickles

Pickles

Splined Crank Question post #7
take the spindle,put it on the crank arm,and tighten it so the arm is all the way on. Do this with the drive side, then put on the chainwheel (put the drivebolt in,but you dont need to tighten it all the way), cone spacers,etc. Put the spindle in through the bearings, so its out the other side. make sure the spindle is out as far as it can be,push it. then see how much spline you have on the other side to put the arm on. if you have enough,then put it on. If you dont have enough, loosen the bolt, then put the arm on,tightening the [non drive side] crank bolt until the [drive side] arm is tightened down.

i hope that answers your question....if I understand your question

bmx1986

bmx1986

Splined Crank Question post #8
Tighten both bolts down. Remove the bolts and see if the axle goes into each arm the same amount. Adjust accordingly.

No, if one side is tight it can't be pulled through the arm.

Jake Eats Cake

Jake Eats Cake

Splined Crank Question post #9
Get new cranks :)

New Topics