Slotted axles much weaker than round axles?

• Discuss Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hi I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand wheelset for my bike. But a lot of the ones i see have slotted 14mm axles. Are slotted axles much weaker... ...
N

n3lli

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #1
Hi

I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand wheelset for my bike. But a lot of the ones i see have slotted 14mm axles.

Are slotted axles much weaker than normal ones or it won't make much of a difference? coz i will be doing some grinding.

Slotted 14mm axles will work on 14mm dropouts too yeah?...just making sure, in case it doesn't :p

Thanks

O

oibmxpunx

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #2
yes flat axles are just as strong as round and they will work in 14mm drop outs

S

sentaafEQpovar

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #3
actually on the front they are nearly as strong but they dont have the extra support of that extra shaved off part thus being not as strong, but on the rear axle, slotted will be much weaker since its laying down flat... will be stronger than 3/8 but not nearly as strong as 14mm becuase it will be easier to bend since the angle it will be getting bent at is thinned out... ie, a pice of card board is easy to bend on the flat side.... but try to stand it up and bend it through the middle.... u cant cuase it has a big tall thing of support.....
**** it, i know what im saying, you dont.... but if i couldve explained my thoughts better u prolly wouldve understood

F

federal_rider12

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #4
well 14mm slotted axles are usually a small portion that wont make a difference at all but still ive had 3/8 slotted on my old school gt and i couldnt break those so slotted axles dont make a difference they are done just to fit in 3/8 dropouts or to just remove weight(if entire axle is slotted)l

S

sentaafEQpovar

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #5
on the back axle it makes a big difference, becuase in the direction its getting bent, its like bending a 3/8th thick piece of metal, while the slotting on the forks is in a upwards position so its like bending a 14mm thick piece of metal

the slots on frame are like this =

the slots on forks are like this ||

fenixbykeco

fenixbykeco

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #6
I've heard that they strip out easier and you can see why they would. Itd be pointless getting a flat 14 mm axle more prone to having bad stuff happen to it than a good reliable 14 mm round axle.

I suggest looking for a Sun or Odyssey wheelset new. Why spend less money on something crappy that you will probably have to replace soon when you can save your money and get a new good wheelset that will last longer.

F

federal_rider12

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #7
my demolitions have 14mm slotted axles and they are definitely not weaker nore do they strip out easier(it may seem logical) but they dont i havent bent these axles but i have bent 14mm round axles so if you buy a 14mm slotted wheelset dont worry about it theyll be fine and strong

N

n3lli

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #8
yeah i think i will get em. and if they bend i will just replace it with a new round axle.

S

sentaafEQpovar

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #9
federal_rider12 said:
my demolitions have 14mm slotted axles and they are definitely not weaker nore do they strip out easier(it may seem logical) but they dont i havent bent these axles but i have bent 14mm round axles so if you buy a 14mm slotted wheelset dont worry about it theyll be fine and strong
maybe u just dont bend acxles easily while others do

F

federal_rider12

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #10
but i have bent 14mm round axles

did you read that i do bend axles and just because its slotted dont make it weaker and mostly all 14mm slotted axles have a very small portion that is slotted

S

sentaafEQpovar

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #11
on the rear axle it actually is much weaker... imagine trying to bend a 14mmm pice of steel compared to a 3/8 in piece of steel..... but its not much of a difference on the front though cuase of the angle on the dropouts they are basically just as strong

F

federal_rider12

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #12
well it isnt probably a hollow 14mm slotted but a slotted 14mm is not weaker ive riden 3/8, 3/8 hollow, 3/8 hollow slotted, 14mm round, 14mm round hollow, 14mm slotted so i know which axles are weaker

B

b8m1x9

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #13
can you really run a 14mm slotted axle in a 14mm front fork? wont it move around and twist? what is the best orientation of the axle |-| or |/| or |||?

C

Charles

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #14
b8m1x9 said:
can you really run a 14mm slotted axle in a 14mm front fork? wont it move around and twist? what is the best orientation of the axle |-| or |/| or |||?
I ran a 3/8 axle in 14mm dropouts for a month. :)

B

b8m1x9

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #15
anyone else??? :roll: this is somewhat urgent.

Eggit

Eggit

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #16
Don't

A 14 slotted is alot weaker than a 14 no matter if it is front or back. A 14 slooted is meant for 3/8 dropouts so that the slot will fint into them. They strip out increidibly easy. Plus if you ran one in a 14mm droupout your wheel would contstantly be shifting. Do not do it.

B

b8m1x9

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #17
^^^thanks.

fron empire:
Do 14mm slotted axles work (work as in function properly and fit without moving or don’t hold the wheel in less well: P) as 14mm round axles. And secondly is on orientation of the axle better then the other for example is |-| better then ||| or |/|. I hope that made since. Thank you.
if you use a slotted 14mm axle in a 14mm slotted dropout, it works like shit. use it in a 3/8" slotted dropout, it works wonderfully. you can run the slotted axle lengthwise |-| if necessary, but i'd recommend against it

thoese guys are great!

S

saugarider

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #18
yea i think that guy supporting those slotted axles is a bit of a goof.. go with axles that arent slotted. or better yet, get the homer hub 8)

D

dindon

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #19
slotted axles suck! i had them, all the nuts i used got stripped, the entire axle was useless. so i had to buy a real 14mm axle and file my fork to make it fit. dont get slotted axles.

Eggit

Eggit

Slotted axles much weaker than round axles? post #20
If the nuts stripped I'd say your lucky. It is normaly the axle that strips with flat axles. I would much rather replace a 50 cent nut than a 5-10 dollar axle.

New Topics