Slipping Crank

• Discuss Slipping Crank in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Could someone tell me what might be wrong with my crank. It dosent do it when you arent riding and you try to get it to slip with your hand, but as... ...
G

Guitar_dude23

Slipping Crank post #1
Could someone tell me what might be wrong with my crank. It dosent do it when you arent riding and you try to get it to slip with your hand, but as soon as I ride it does it alot. Its a 1 peice crank that came stock on my Specialized Vegas.

G

Guitar_dude23

Slipping Crank post #2
I was just playing around with it again and I noticed that the chain tension changes when you move the pedals. Like the chain tension is fine then I turn the pedals half a turn then its too tight. Something must be bent or outa wack.

F

federal_rider12

Slipping Crank post #3
freewheel sounds to be the problem, if the freewheel is slipping you better replace it NOW! if you dont it will snap and while your pedaling you will slam your knee into the stem and could do some major damage to your knee, this happened to my friend.

also check the teeth on the chainwheel to make sure no are missing. one more thing to check is the chainwheel bolt/mount, to do this hold the crank and try to move the chainwheel back and forth. if it moves tighten the bolt but forged chromoly 3 piece and 1 piece cranks have a mount and you would have to ghetto rig something on the mount to keep the chainwheel from moving.

G

Guitar_dude23

Slipping Crank post #4
Ya, I have already f'd my knee on the bars :x Thanks for the help.

G

Guitar_dude23

Slipping Crank post #5
Are their any tutorials on the web that would explain how to change the freewheel.

X

XIII

Slipping Crank post #7
here's what i do...

I take the wheel off and then in the little cuts in the freewheel (i think they are called pawls but i have a cassette now so i don't remember) put a flat head screwdrivver or a chizzle in htere and hit it withe a hammer...i think to the left most likely but sometimes things unscrew to the right or you casn just get a f/w remover[/

X

XIII

Slipping Crank post #8
oops... my bad... delete this... :oops:

F

federal_rider12

Slipping Crank post #9
well you need a freewheel remover, now take off the wheel and take the nut completely off and slide the tool on set it in place and put the nut back on and put it pretty much onto the freewheel remover but make sure there is room between the nut and remover so when you loosen the freewheel the remover wont get stuck against the nut. now all you got to do is loosen the freewheel. once it is loose, take the nut off and remove the freewheel and put on the new one and you dont need the tool to put it on just tighten it on by hand the put the wheel back on and then start pedaling but dont be doing alot till the freewheel completely seats in place, about 5 hard pedals from a dead stop

G

Guitar_dude23

Slipping Crank post #10
Im just gonna take the rear wheel into the local BMX Shop.

New Topics