slippery rims

P

pooky

slippery rims post #1
Hey guys, my back rim has this black paint or something not sure, but it's gradually wearing off the more I ride. It's pretty slick so my back breaks suck. Would steel wool be good to get that off, or would it weaken the rims?

H

Highbinder

slippery rims post #2
Hey I had that on my old bike too :( I just took a cloth to it and rubbed/cleaned it really well, and cleaned the brake pads well too. That improved my brakes.

Dunno how you could get the black off it completely though...

T

the hip hop soldier

slippery rims post #3
i know how to get it off there. just take some fine sandpaper and go over it till its gone. then wash it off with simple green, windex, or goo gone. they all work great.

Q

q s `/ c |-| o

slippery rims post #4

ride brakeless..

T

the hip hop soldier

slippery rims post #5
riding brakeless works too but i dont like how it wears down your shoes so fast. i rode brakeless for about a year and it wasnt bad but i wanted to do abubicas and fufanus again. so i have them back on and sanding off the paint and cleaning the rim and pads works good. oh yeah and get soft brakepads too they help out a lot.

T

the hip hop soldier

slippery rims post #6
a good kind of brake pads to get are kool stop eagle claw 2. they r soft and brake really well. another thing u can do to increase braking performance would be to put your pads in boiling water for 5 minutes. that makes them soft and stick to the rim better.

G

grantpeters

slippery rims post #7
any kind of degreaser that doesnt leave a residue would help... Xlite muck off is mental stuff, but im not sure if its available over there... also some trials riders grind their rims with an angle grinder to give a textured surface ( only a light grind mind you as too much'll weaken the rims too much)

http://www.x-lite.com/navi.html
http://www.trials-forum.co.uk ( for grinding advice )

S

SICK_BOMB

slippery rims post #8
yeah you can scratch all that kind of black paint, but there is an old trix, put some Coca Cola (coke), or pepsi, orange juice, water with sugar, everything that is liquid and sticky could be good to make your brakes usefull, be a good bmxer isn't to be only a good rider, you got to be a good cook too :lol:

Q

q s `/ c |-| o

slippery rims post #9

haha

D

Disrupter

slippery rims post #10
SICK_BOMB said:
yeah you can scratch all that kind of black paint, but there is an old trix, put some Coca Cola (coke), or pepsi, orange juice, water with sugar, everything that is liquid and sticky could be good to make your brakes usefull, be a good bmxer isn't to be only a good rider, you got to be a good cook too :lol:

Xplain in detail plz.

S

SICK_BOMB

slippery rims post #11
hm! okay that's the most easy tricks ever made the brake faster!

1. Take a towel
2. Bring some orange juice, coca cola, pepsi...
3. apply your liquid (coca, orange juice, pepsi) on the towel
4. then rub the towel on your brake...
5. Wait 24h, your brakes will be sticking
6. Go practice some endo, if your brakes arent so good then apply another time coca, pepsi or orange juice...

D

Disrupter

slippery rims post #12
ok.
i'll try that out soon !

S

SICK_BOMB

slippery rims post #13
:roll: gimme some news l8er dude! :wink: it works on my last dyno bmx :oops: (not a kickass bike, but to begin!)

D

Disrupter

slippery rims post #14
which bike are
you riding at the
moment ?

S

SICK_BOMB

slippery rims post #15
for the moment, I use a Gary Fisher ''woody'' this a complet set bike, the one that Kagy already use there is some years ago...

adam_maoam

adam_maoam

slippery rims post #16
tee cut will probably get rid of it

50point8cm

slippery rims post #17
buy some decent pads like koolstop eagle claw 2

Beanie

Beanie

slippery rims post #18
the hip hop soldier said:
i know how to get it off there. just take some fine sandpaper and go over it till its gone. then wash it off with simple green, windex, or goo gone. they all work great.
thats a good way but takes awhile.

i had the same problem, what i did is just took my tube/tire off and took a power sander and sanded all the paint off with the power sander with 100grit rough sand paper, then came back with 1000 grit on the power sander and then came back with 1500 by hand to smooth it out, then cleaned the rim up real good with a non oil cleaner, soap and water works best.

simple green is ok, but it sucks up dirt real bad, and eats chrome, but you dont have chrome rims.

my friend would use it everyday and same with pop, his brakes sucked worse and worse everytime he did it, and then the brake pads would stick to the simple green leaving a big black mark around the whole rim

New Topics