Size?

• Discuss Size? in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Hey I'm 5'5" and I have a haro forum partial 20 w/ a 20.25" tt. Is it too small or is it a good size for me? ...
B

bikerkid44

Size? post #1
Hey I'm 5'5" and I have a haro forum partial 20 w/ a 20.25" tt. Is it too small or is it a good size for me?

NewYorkRimRida

NewYorkRimRida

Size? post #2
yeah its a good size but its mostly personal preferance

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Size? post #3
that should be about right. if you want a little more room, you could probably ride a 20.5" frame. i am 5'9" and i ride a 20.5" frame but i have ridden a 20.75". 21" feels too big for me.

M

marks86

Size? post #4
well when you ride it how does it feel on your. and also try riding one of your friends bike with a 20.5 and see if you like that better

F

fed tom

Size? post #5
do you like it?

yes? its fine

no? you need something different

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

Size? post #6
I'm 5' 5" and started out on 20.75", went down through the size to 20.375" and back up to 20.4" now. Going for 20.6" next.

KEY thing is that TT (top tube) measurement on its own is a utterly useless dimension. You need to take into account

Head Tube angle
Seat Tube angle
Rear end length

... and take them ALL into account along with the TT at the same time, ie the FULL geo of the bike. You can get a 21" TT frame that feels shorter than a 20.75" by simply having a 69 deg seat tube angle, or a 20.4" which feels longer trhan a 20.5 by having a steeper head tube angle.

You also need to take into account your body..... long legs, short arms, vice-versa, etc all need to be thought about when consdiering which frame is right for you.

:)

B

bikerkid44

Size? post #7
how much clearance are your knees supposed to have from your bars when you pedal?

B

Bicyclist 1

Size? post #8
I'm 5'6 and ride a 20, it's perfect.

B

bikerkid44

Size? post #9
well sometimes it feels a little short like im going to go over the bars when I land but thats probably because I'm new to bmx and came from mtbing so I'm not totally used to it...

B

bikerkid44

Size? post #10
well how long would a 20.25 fit me if I was using in for some dirt jumps/trails, a little bit of park, and generally just messing around? remember I'm a beginner... I read that you should have a long tt for dirt jumps/trails, does it make that big of a difference if your just starting out?

Red Horn

Red Horn

Size? post #11
i am 5'9" and i ride a 20.5" frame but i have ridden a 20.75".
I am Also 5 9 and looking to get my first bike since the early 80's. Jwnolte can you give me your personal contrast between 20.5 & 20.75.? I really don't have a way to try before I buy.

B

bikerkid44

Size? post #12
well how long would a 20.25 fit me if I was using in for some dirt jumps/trails, a little bit of park, and generally just messing around? remember I'm a beginner... I read that you should have a long tt for dirt jumps/trails, does it make that big of a difference if your just starting out?
Anyone?

B

bikerkid44

Size? post #13
How much clearance are your knees supposed to have?
Also, since the entire geo matters when your talking about size, heres some geo for the forum partial 20:
Head Angle: 74.5
Seat Angle: 71.5
TT: 20.25
Chainstay: 14
Wheel Base: 36
Standover: 22

Does that make for a bike that rides shorter or a bike that rides longer?

New Topics