silent freewheel ?

• Discuss silent freewheel ? in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; From the threads it appears most people want their freewheel to be loud? Why is that? i remember back when i was into this stuff nobody wanted a loud... ...
C

Candyman

silent freewheel ? post #1
From the threads it appears most people want their freewheel to be loud? Why is that? i remember back when i was into this stuff nobody wanted a loud freewheel. yup, it was years ago:lol:

Anywho, Is there something i can remove from the freewheel to make it quieter?
I liked it when i peddled backwards and didnt hear anything.

Alex Steadman

Alex Steadman

silent freewheel ? post #2
Yeah I don't know what's up with kids wanting a loud cassette, I always wanted a quiet one and I still do.

Gnutti

Gnutti

silent freewheel ? post #3
i want a loud one....louder means is better...if ur casette doesn make a sound you should clean it up...dust is in there and r a lot more chances to give it a pedal and it won't engage right ..or your spring is almoast dead!! i know cuz i rode trials 3 years! and is like a horn if somebody is in your way ;)

Last edited:
kkmk

kkmk

silent freewheel ? post #4
I have a totally silent freewheel in my shed. It used to click like a normal one, but now i dont know whats happened to it. It spins perfect, engages and rolls fine. Its....ghostly....

victimoftheworld

victimoftheworld

silent freewheel ? post #5
my was quiet know al of a suden its loud and i dnt know y

T

ThreeStyle

silent freewheel ? post #6
Mines silent and has nothing wrong with it, although, as said above, a loud casette lets people know you are there, I have to cough anytime I want to get passed someone and I'm on a narrow path lol.

D

danielz

silent freewheel ? post #7
i really dont care if its load or now, atleast it works, but i do like the sound of it as im riding.

bmxertroy

bmxertroy

silent freewheel ? post #8
i want a loud one....louder means is better...if ur casette doesn make a sound you should clean it upin your way ;)
Louder does not mean better.
Having a silent or loud freewheel or cassette is all about preference.

I

itsallinthemix

silent freewheel ? post #9
So can you even buy silent freewheels/cassettes??

Or modify them to be silent?? (without affecting it's performance)

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

silent freewheel ? post #10
i want a loud one....louder means is better...if ur casette doesn make a sound you should clean it up...dust is in there and r a lot more chances to give it a pedal and it won't engage right ..or your spring is almoast dead!! i know cuz i rode trials 3 years! and is like a horn if somebody is in your way ;)
You sure know how to talk piss!! Most of those that are loud are so because they are NOT properly lubed, and so the pawls are hitting unprotected metal inside the hub making it louder. If it was greased/lubed up it wouldn't make such a loud noise.

Plus, you can have 2 identical cassettes, both new, both lubed and clean and one will be loud and the other quiet. Spoke tension, hub, rims and tyres all play a part in the amplification of the sound.

:)

KristoBMX

KristoBMX

silent freewheel ? post #11
Louder don't mean anything

Just because it's louder doesn't really mean anything! If you choose to make your cassette louder that just means your shell will wear faster (Not by that much) than it would if you had left stock. You can buy Profile Mini SS cassette silent and you can also buy silent freewheels. It's all about preference not the louder the better!

KristoBMX

KristoBMX

silent freewheel ? post #12
You can also make your cassette louder and quiter by adjusting the C - Clips either tighter or looser.

AbstractBMX

AbstractBMX

silent freewheel ? post #13
From the threads it appears most people want their freewheel to be loud? Why is that? i remember back when i was into this stuff nobody wanted a loud freewheel. yup, it was years ago:lol:

Anywho, Is there something i can remove from the freewheel to make it quieter?
I liked it when i peddled backwards and didnt hear anything.

Go search for a hub by the company Stealth Industries.
They made a hub back in the day, one of my friends was testing it at Skatestreet. It uses a one-way bearing, so it's just like a freewheel but absolutely no play when you go to pedal. From what I heard they still make them and in 14mm.

New Topics