should i go coaster?

• Discuss should i go coaster? in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; im thinking of getting a coaster but im not 100% sure i love fakie tricks.. and i probably spend half my time on my cassette going backwards i would... ...
M

Molesrkool

should i go coaster? post #1
im thinking of getting a coaster but im not 100% sure
i love fakie tricks.. and i probably spend half my time on my cassette going backwards
i would love to give it a go but i dont want my cassette to become weird to me.
i can already do fakie hops, pivots, fakie for as long as i want aslong as i have some speed and i can do sliders rarely.. i always fall off
is it worth it to get a coaster?
as im seriously thinking of getting a poverty and lacing it to a spare sun big city i have.

Minitrix

Minitrix

should i go coaster? post #2
If you think you'll have more fun and if you think it'll help you progress faster.
But it isn't all about progression.
If you have more fun with a freecoaster, yeah.
But try it out first, like take your chain off and see if you like it.

A

Aceman

should i go coaster? post #3
dont take ur chain off to see if you like it. that helps with going fakie, but u already knew how to do it that. it isnt the same.(i know from experience)

but remember all of those fakie hops, half cabs, full cabs, ect that you learned on the cassette?

well prepare to relearn them. more things than you think change when going to a freecoaster. so make sure you try one out for a little while before making a decision. that said, a freecoaster was one of the better purchases Ive made for my bike.

just try it out first. that cassette matters more than you think when doing fakie stuff.

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

should i go coaster? post #4
I personally don't want to loose the cassette feel either I'm not good at going backwards but I can do it for a little bit.

I would get equal ammount of practice on both so you don't loose your cassette skills.

A

Aceman

should i go coaster? post #5
^ if you cant fakie well on a cassette you wont be able to fakie well on a freecoaster. pedalling back is the ONLY thing a freecoaster changes. you still have to balance just the same. a lot of ppl dont seem to understand that when they get freecoasters, and then they get pissed when they cant fakie more than 15 feet...

it affects your forwards riding too. everytime one of my friends jump on my bike the first thing they do is slam their knee into my stem because they dont realize that there's slack. that means no more bitchcranking, especially when manualing/dropping in/ect...

if you're not sure stay on a cassette. you really cant know if you'll like one unless you ride one for a while.

R

ridealot100

should i go coaster? post #6
^^^^^ hes totally right. I hopped on my friends bike and immedealty annihilated my knee:lol:

I just ordered a geisha setup though, itl definatly be tough getting used to it but i welcome the change. Ill have to re learn tire taps though.

Im just doing it to add something new to my riding.

vinniesac

vinniesac

should i go coaster? post #7
Im a big tall rider fakie is way easier for me with my free coaster before my knees came up way to high and i always lost my fakie balence now i dont loose my balence and can fakie much farther just beware because there is slack before your chain grabs and timeing becomes another issue

M

Molesrkool

should i go coaster? post #8
ive gone against the idea of a coaster
i can already fakie pretty damn well for as long as i want.. and pivot either way + fakie hop so i dont thhink theres much need for a coaster
cheers for the help anyway

Minitrix

Minitrix

should i go coaster? post #9
^^
Alright.
But don't you already have a freecoaster?

sledneckadam

sledneckadam

should i go coaster? post #10
^ if you cant fakie well on a cassette you wont be able to fakie well on a freecoaster. pedalling back is the ONLY thing a freecoaster changes. you still have to balance just the same. a lot of ppl dont seem to understand that when they get freecoasters, and then they get pissed when they cant fakie more than 15 feet...

it affects your forwards riding too. everytime one of my friends jump on my bike the first thing they do is slam their knee into my stem because they dont realize that there's slack. that means no more bitchcranking, especially when manualing/dropping in/ect...

if you're not sure stay on a cassette. you really cant know if you'll like one unless you ride one for a while.

Ya I'm not getting one just to beable to ride backwards better. I'm getting one to learn freecoaster tricks.

Q

Quen

should i go coaster? post #11
i don't think that freecoaster technology is quite prepared for the abuse for street. i had one for maybe 4 months at the most and i had to work on it after about every 6 hours of riding. it changes your style and you have to re-learn a lot of tricks. i'm riding a casette again and i like it way more and i have learned to do even more fakie tricks.

D

dirkadirka

should i go coaster? post #12

so true man. thats why i dont relly want a freecaoster. i want a cassette/coaster. that is like quick to engage and shit

New Topics