Seatpost won't budge.

• Discuss Seatpost won't budge. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Well, the toptube completely seperated from my headtube, and I'm left frameless. I have an old Redline frame sitting in my patio, so I decided to use... ...
T

troy

Seatpost won't budge. post #1
Well, the toptube completely seperated from my headtube, and I'm left frameless. I have an old Redline frame sitting in my patio, so I decided to use it. I just got done attaching the fork and bars when I realize that my brother had gotten lazy, and had just cut the seatpost maybe an inch above the seatube, so i'm left with half of a post inside the tube. I can barely get a wrench on it to try to wrestle it out. I put 3 in 1 between the post/tube. I banged it with a hammer trying to loosen it up.

It won't work. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm dying to ride, and I don't want to wait until near Christmas so I have the dough to buy a Bama and some cranks off SideWallDistro.

Thaaaanks.

Stephen G

Stephen G

Seatpost won't budge. post #2
Get some old kids bike handlebars/stem, stick the stem in it, crank it up, then pull on the bars.
If it fits.

Otherwise, drill what's sticking out of the frame, stick a bar through it, and use that.

harorider4

harorider4

Seatpost won't budge. post #3
Get some old kids bike handlebars/stem, stick the stem in it, crank it up, then pull on the bars.
If it fits.

Otherwise, drill what's sticking out of the frame, stick a bar through it, and use that.
yeah the drill idea was what i was gunna say,
just drill it then stick a screwdriver through it or something

T

troy

Seatpost won't budge. post #4
I don't have a drill OR a kiddie bike :|

harorider4

harorider4

Seatpost won't budge. post #5
do you have vice grips?
if it comes down to it just go to the lbs, im sure they will be able to get it out

T

troy

Seatpost won't budge. post #6
Wow... Even the lbs couldn't get it off. They banged on it, and it didn't even go down!

I'm outta luck boys. Any other suggestions?

The Radness

The Radness

Seatpost won't budge. post #7
drill a hole, someone has a drill, and it seems like the last chance

anyway, drill a hole, put a thick piece of metal through it (bolt, screw driver ect..) and then hit it so it twists and breaks itself loose

M

MATRIX

Seatpost won't budge. post #8
Well, the toptube completely seperated from my headtube, and I'm left frameless. I have an old Redline frame sitting in my patio, so I decided to use it. I just got done attaching the fork and bars when I realize that my brother had gotten lazy, and had just cut the seatpost maybe an inch above the seatube, so i'm left with half of a post inside the tube. I can barely get a wrench on it to try to wrestle it out. I put 3 in 1 between the post/tube. I banged it with a hammer trying to loosen it up.

It won't work. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm dying to ride, and I don't want to wait until near Christmas so I have the dough to buy a Bama and some cranks off SideWallDistro.

Thaaaanks.

This is an issue. I had a buddy get a post stuck so bad we had to use a torch and cut the post from the INSIDE slowly(to not heat the frame). Then cruch it in a vice and yank it out. Took about 7hrs. Hope your not that unlucky.

Pickles

Pickles

Seatpost won't budge. post #9
hmmm

DONT try to spin it,because its ovalized,so now bashing it down made it worse. Rotating it would make it even worse.

drill. somehow get something like a metal rode to go through it,catch the rod between 2 trees,and yank that bastard ( frame ) straight, no rotation

any pictures?

The Radness

The Radness

Seatpost won't budge. post #10
we don't know it's ovalized, it could just be rusted up in there, or just jamed from debris

Pickles

Pickles

Seatpost won't budge. post #11
we don't know it's ovalized, it could just be rusted up in there, or just jamed from debris
if it doesnt go up,or down,especially through all that?

thats some strong ass rust...

my guess is that the clamp held it for a really long time and distorted the seat tube or post...

rebman

rebman

Seatpost won't budge. post #12
Heat it up....

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

Seatpost won't budge. post #13
Vice to "seat post" and pull the frame and wiggle it VERY little while using heman strength on it...
Have a shop at school? weld a 12" piece of scrap stock to the end of the post and cranky 'er like you are driving a bus.
If this failed and the is going to be used for not long, heat the bitch up and go crazy.
Cut a hole in the bb and get a long rod of metal and hammer it out.

These are all options if the frame is not wanted after you ride ti for a while.

Oh and smack your brother.

J

jawn

Seatpost won't budge. post #15
I didn't read much of this thread because I'm drunk, so pardon me if I'm repeating anything.

Modern after-market seat posts (with an exception or 2 like the Shadow Mean) are aluminium, not steel. Aluminium likes to react with steel & seize. This is why greasing your seat tube is a good idea.

Seat guts are a great clamp to use, as they are designed to clamp to a seat post. Don't be afraid to twist as you pull either (sorry to contradict you italian).

New Topics