schwinn predators

• Discuss schwinn predators in the BMX Racing forum in area BMX-Forum Community; so im thinking about getting back into bmx. its been about a couple years since ive hit a jump. this time around ive been looking into getting a race... ...
N

nicolo paganini

schwinn predators post #1
so im thinking about getting back into bmx. its been about a couple years since ive hit a jump. this time around ive been looking into getting a race frame since i dont do many tricks and mainly ride trails. every now and then ill ride at a skate park but nothin too fancy(just wall rides fakyes manuals lil ish". i wish i could just find a 98 99 predator. but so far no luck with that. so what are the pros and cons for having a race bmx as my all around bike. and why couldnt one be used for a little park or some flat land?

Last edited:
W

Wood0209

schwinn predators post #2
While race bikes are light and strong, they are only made for the abuse that BMX racing puts on a bike. You may find that the frame may break down over time more quickly than that of one that is built with stronger materials that are slightly heavier for the frame.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

schwinn predators post #3
how tall are you? the predator is a low-end bike made for beginners and young riders.

also, a lot has changed since you rode a few years ago. for one, Schwinn is not the same company it used to be. it was purchased by Pacific Cycles (i think, someone verify that) and most of their bikes are junk now, sold in department stores. they still have some bikeshop quaility bikes, but they just are not the same. no more Powermatics and "homegrown" frames.

for racing, you are on the right "track" but if you want to ride street/park/dirt, you need a strong race bike, or a lightweight freestyle bike. for flatland, there is not a lot of flatland tricks you can do on a bike built for racing. you could add four pegs and a gyro to it, but the geometry would be way off and awkward.

N

nicolo paganini

schwinn predators post #4
im 5'9. yeah i kinda stopped riding after shcwinn sold out to walmart( not why i stoped riding). but i remember the bikes of the late 90s where a little lighter and less bs on them like gryos. also 3/8s dropouts were very common. i wont be using pegs. i would also be using this bike for commute. im not real hard on bikes and i doubt ill be jumping as high as they do in races yet. so i figured hey, im not big on tricks and mainly ride trails and to and fro. why not just get a light racer. and the olympics is why i wanted to get back on in the first place. ive never been a serious rider.

i just moved to las vegas from virginia. and there are alot of race bikes on craiglist. i was looking at a felt sector xl 2007. hes askin 350 for it. says he only rode it twice.

N

nicolo paganini

schwinn predators post #5
racing has much appeal to me. so if race bikes are not as durable then even if i were going to race shouldnt i not get a race bike since im starting out and will have some wipe outs?

W

Wood0209

schwinn predators post #6
racing has much appeal to me. so if race bikes are not as durable then even if i were going to race shouldnt i not get a race bike since im starting out and will have some wipe outs?
Race bikes are durable for racing and the types of impact you will have should you start jumping and such. Where the bikes would start to fail is say if you started to ride some street as well and started jumping large gaps or stairs where you are essentially landing on a solid flat surface rather than a backside of a jump as you do in racing.

I am 24 and 230 lbs and own a Redline Proline Pro, I have no issues with it. Three weeks ago I had a huge crash making contact with another rider and we both flipped over our handle bars as we were going over a set of doubles with a ton of speed. My bike is still in good working condition, it just has a few more scratches than it had and the bar end and grips are banged/chewed up some.

C

Chris111

schwinn predators post #7
I know it sounds dumb but I always wanted to ride a street/ trail frame for a race bike. I just love how they feel and how they manual. Modern frames (chromoly) really don't very as much in weight like they used to. Alot of the trail and some street frames are almost the same weight. You could do this to have a strong frame, run adapters for the 3/8's axle in a 14mm dropout and save they weight on parts like most trail and street riders do. If you look around some guys trail setups are the same weight as some race setups.

N

nicolo paganini

schwinn predators post #8
so what would be a good light freestyle complete for someone who is looking into getting into racing? under 350 dollars

C

Chris111

schwinn predators post #9
Any new style frame would be good. The weight of your bike doesn't come from the frame so much but more the parts. Race setups use light wheels with TI spokes and some run 28 spoke hubs in the front. You can run a much lighter fork for a race setup as long as your smooth and don't make alot of mistakes. Everything adds up. Most stock street setups weigh around the 26-28 mark which isn't far off a aftermarket race setup.

manualking

manualking

schwinn predators post #10
i had one when i was younger know i got a schwinn pro stock se sitting under my bed.lol

New Topics