rust removal

• Discuss rust removal in the BMX Articles & Event Reports forum in area BMX-Forum Community; OK Guys, so you want to get rid of rust from your chromed bike part but you don’t like the idea of having dangerous chemicals around the house. Well... ...
A

AustinKO

rust removal post #1
OK Guys, so you want to get rid of rust from your chromed bike part but you don’t like the idea of having dangerous chemicals around the house. Well here is a great way that is so safe and easy a 5yr old could do it! All you need is a container (tub) big enough to fit your rusty part in, a toothbrush (scrubbing brush, dish brush etc.) and enough White Vinegar to cover the part. I just use the cheap stuff from the supermarket. Place your part in the container of Vinegar and wait a day or two. Remove the part and brush off the rust, then wipe down with a rag, if your satisfied with the job, give it a spray over with a water displacer (WD40,CRC etc.) or dry with a hair dryer to stop the rust coming back straight away, if your not happy, drop it in for a bit longer. So there you go, it’s that easy

Try it yourself on an old rusty chromed part and I guarantee you will be amazed at how well it comes up!!!

Notes:
Don’t throw your vinegar away afterwards, it can be used over and over again.
It will go a rusty color after use.
It may help to add a tea spoon of Bi Carb Soda (Baking Soda) per Ltr of Vinegar to help speed up the process a little(caution, it will fizz up!!)
It may remove your decals if you use it on a part with stickers or decals

i thought this would make a good sticky.

wickyman

wickyman

rust removal post #2
That is a pretty good idea. I never thought of that before. Definitely will have to try it! Rep!

jimbosz07

jimbosz07

rust removal post #3
if its not too major then steel or copper wool works really well. just rub it til its all shiny again

TheAzMyster

TheAzMyster

rust removal post #4
thats great ima try it on my stem bolts +Rep

Jeff_Healitt

Jeff_Healitt

rust removal post #5
I used to do this with copper pennies... Works AMAZING.

CodyPrince

CodyPrince

rust removal post #6
this should be a how to.

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #8
thanks guys. it works i did a set of old berings that were all rusty off a old bike. looks brand new works so much better than before. thanks for the comments.

biketillidie

biketillidie

rust removal post #9
Pfft. Sandpaper for me :)

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #10
sandpaper removes the finish and if sanded enought can make it rust more going threw the chrome

T

troy

rust removal post #11
I tried this and it works, but it takes a while. I'll stick to good old Coca Cola :D

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #12
thanks for the bulb.

C

ChinnyBKR

rust removal post #13
replace vinegar with coke and bam. Insta-chrome.

Stephen G

Stephen G

rust removal post #14
That process, it's gonna eat away at the metal part, as the vinegar is an acid (acetic/ethanoic).

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #15
vinegar wont hurt it..

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

rust removal post #16
Tried with Diet Coke and Mentos.

As fast as a shuttle !

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #17
good im talking about vinegar. so lets keep it to that

T

troy

rust removal post #18
vinegar wont hurt it..

Yes it will, as he just explained it's an acid which means it will eat away at the chrome. Cola has acid, but not even close to vinegar.

theboss7

theboss7

rust removal post #19
what i found to be really effective to get a clump of steel wool and spray WD-40 on the wool and rub the rusty chrome part.

A

AustinKO

rust removal post #20
well i have used it more than 1000000 times and its fine. it being on there ofr a hour isnt going to eat away at it. lmao

New Topics