rim

• Discuss rim in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; ok. im hard on rims and cant decide which i should get. back rim. its going to be laced with blue primos and black brass nips to a primo mix. this... ...
G

gtbmx0222

rim post #1
ok.
im hard on rims and cant decide which i should get.
back rim.
its going to be laced with blue primos and black brass nips to a primo mix.
this mother has to be STRONG.
as in i-desroy-demo-zeros-and-sun-4-plays strong.
im thinking either sun city lite or the new animal lm or lm-r.
weight isnt really an issue, i dont case THAT much and will be running no less than 90 psi ever, so denting isnt too big of a concern. im moving away from the midway and hazard light bc everyone i know has them and i would like to try something different on my bike, not just the norm that everyone and their brother has ridden. and i dont want huge sidewalls, as i refuse to run kevlar tires (my khe went STRAIGHT to hell) and my 4-play is next to impossible to get a steel bead on.
in essence:
  • preferences
  1. MUST be strong as hell.
  2. preferably not a huge sidewall.
  3. under 20 oz, but not a big concern.
  4. MUST be 36h.
  5. chrome.
what do you guys think of the new animal rims? they have a great price on them and LOOK like they can take a beating, plus, i mean, they ARE animal, so theyre street a f*ck.
so does anyone own one and has put it through lots of abuse?
or reccomend me another rim?
not gsport, as they are grossly overpriced and the only ones dans has left are 48h.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

rim post #2
B0N0

B0N0

rim post #3
i will get hated for this

but
my gusset hukka has lasted me so long with not even the slightest hit of a dent
but it is so cheap cause it def isnt the lightest rim out there

203rider

rim post #4
Proper.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

rim post #5
if you destroy rims, don't get a city lite or an animal rim.

my vote goes to HB Generator- strong, not too heavy, good chrome finish, considerably cheaper than most other rims.

Odyssey/Gsport Ribcage might be another good one.

B0N0

B0N0

rim post #6
tbh if you **** up rims
dont go for anything that says light on it

Superbeast

Superbeast

rim post #7
Primo Hulahoop. I used to be that bad with rims an this one after almost 2 years, ended up being dented 3 times on each side an one sidewall had an inch long crack, but still was straight. that was also with 12g spokes not 14

R

renos

rim post #8
you destroyed a 4-play and you want a animal rim?ill give you a sec to think about that one

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

rim post #9
im think its pretty obvious that he needs a 7-KA
i know a friend who rides hard and has his 3 years. the crome only jst started flaking a tiny bit around the spokes
he's ahd it laced to 3 differnt hubs its that good.

G

gtbmx0222

rim post #11
propers dont look strong to me, the only people i know that run them use them for racing.

Primo Hulahoop. I used to be that bad with rims an this one after almost 2 years, ended up being dented 3 times on each side an one sidewall had an inch long crack, but still was straight. that was also with 12g spokes not 14
i actually had one for about a month last summer. i dented the crap out of it casing a qp and it went to hell. but i rarely case on airs any more, so that might work.

you destroyed a 4-play and you want a animal rim?ill give you a sec to think about that one
the animal rim is new, how do you know how strong it is?

im think its pretty obvious that he needs a 7-KA
i know a friend who rides hard and has his 3 years. the crome only jst started flaking a tiny bit around the spokes
he's ahd it laced to 3 differnt hubs its that good.
possibly

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

rim post #12
The issue with the primos is not supposed to be with braking but with them stretching out, but that's just what I heard sounds to me like you need to be running a better tire with a high PSI but you may be doing so already.

Last edited:

203rider

rim post #13
propers dont look strong to me, the only people i know that run them use them for racing.
That's strange...I know a few people who run them and ride street/park and they hold up very well...

C

Connor93

rim post #14
the Ody 7-ka is truly amazing, its strong and its light, i haven't known anyone to break one and if your not keen on the g-sport then this is what i'd recommend for a strong rim, which is also very light.

Pickles

Pickles

rim post #15
this mother has to be STRONG.
as in i-desroy-demo-zeros-and-sun-4-plays strong.
Umm....demo zero's are some of the crapiest rims out there,im sorry but breaking them isnt a big feat. But I get what you mean

2wheel pride pointed out Generators,theyre good. Also the city lights...ehhhh go one up,add a bit of weight,and get the Rhynolight instead. stronger,but a bit heavier.

also,as has been said,primo spokes are weak. why?:
stretch like a moth
flex way more then should be

if you want blue spokes,get some sapims and paint them. or keep them black and paint the nips. color should not be a deciding factor.

for the back dt swiss spokes are better though.

by the way. animal=street beast? *cough* hamilton pedals *cough* (many snapped spindles,even more destroyed bearings)

mine at the moment is odyssey/sapim/sun since my hoffman rims kinda died and the shop had suns,same price,so I thought Id give em a try. theyre good,but the hoffmans are better.

and I run primo walls,so if you want to complain about a rough bead,talk to ME. :)

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

rim post #16
2wheel pride pointed out Generators,theyre good. Also the city lights...ehhhh go one up,add a bit of weight,and get the Rhynolight instead. stronger,but a bit heavier.

The City Lights Are meant to be stronger than the rhynolites
thats why people run Rhynolites on the front and Citylites on the back..

bike ryder

bike ryder

rim post #17
oddy hazard lite. g-sport ribcage

JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

rim post #18
im moving away from the midway and hazard light bc everyone i know has them and i would like to try something different on my bike
How about you read the thread starters post ^^^^^^^^

Pickles

Pickles

rim post #19
The City Lights Are meant to be stronger than the rhynolites
thats why people run Rhynolites on the front and Citylites on the back..
Rhyno's are "halfway between big city and city lights"

Ive ridden both as front rims and the rhyno was stronger,and I basically didnt do much front end stalls on the city light,got the rhyno light,and started off same stuff,seemed a bit better,then I start abusing that thing,tooth picks footjams etc and it stood up to those better then the city light did to lighter abuse

either way,get generators!

T

troy

rim post #20
Gsport Ribcage /thread.

Just kidding, this rim is extremely strong. The cross lacing makes it even stronger, and more resistant to dents. I've been running mine since January, street only, bunches of casings, and quite a few grinds, and its still there dentless...

New Topics