respray!!

• Discuss respray!! in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; im rawing then respraying some parts is there any good ways of doing it without using a sandblaster or spray gun??? ...
kheridr

kheridr

respray!! post #1
im rawing then respraying some parts is there any good ways of doing it without using a sandblaster or spray gun???

kheridr

kheridr

respray!! post #2
Any Way Possible At Home

Wombles

Wombles

respray!! post #3
Sand paper, Paint remover, Primer, Spray can, Rags.

T

Trendy

respray!! post #4
When I re painted my old frame, i just used paint stripper then used a normal spray can... 2 good coats

but if you wanna do a good job, maybe do clear top coat

wickyman

wickyman

respray!! post #5
Use aircraft paint stripper, it will take you right to raw. Get it down to the bare metal, then prime it with no less than 2 coats of primer, then 2-3 shots of rattle can paint, or your choice of air paints. Then clear with 2-3 coats of clear. It will look great for a long time!

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

respray!! post #6
you do not have to strip all the paint off if you are going to repaint it. just sand the old paint down to a rough finish. that surface will make a good primer, or you can put a primer over that.

using paint stripper is only necessary if you want a raw-finish frame.

johnuk

johnuk

respray!! post #7
I'm tempted to say send it to the sandblasting yard, but if not you're going to have to ghetto it up with elbow work.

If you use paintstripper, just remember to get it all back off. Stripper is DCM (dichloromethane), which is thinner than water and will melt rubber gloves - but it's this super dissolving power that makes it good on paint. It doesn't chemically attack the paint, it just dissolves it like water does to sugar. Stripper is about 80% DCM, then it has polymer mixed in with it to make it stick to surfaces, the DCM would just run off on it's own. On it's own, the DMC would evaporate away as well, but it won't with the polymer there, so make sure you rinse it well and let it get really dry before painting. I've had DCM in my eyes before, redefining lame for me. A series of unusual accidents brought it about.

If you have an electric drill, you can get spinny wheels from the sandpaper section of B&Q called flap wheels that will accelerate your paint removing. A wire brush cup on an angle grinder will rip through paint with really good control so it's not hard to avoid damaging the metal underneath. Goggles & gloves are not pussy accessories for angle grinders - ear plugs are good when doing big jobs, and you may need some extra brushes for the motor if it's on for hours (pence)

If you're using stripper, get some dirty thick drain, bin man, solvent proof gloves. Or use a brush and be careful. It won't kill you, but it rapes your skin dry by dissolving all the oils in it.

Don't burn it off - the fumes from polymer paint can be insanely toxic. Paints usually have solvents in them, and benzenes can be one of those. When you burn them, they can bind with chlorine to make PCBs - polychlorinated benzenes. These are the most powerful carcinogens in existence.

Last edited:
JoeyWinkle

JoeyWinkle

respray!! post #8
Someone definately listened in chemistry. or googles done it again.

johnuk

johnuk

respray!! post #9
Someone definately listened in chemistry. or googles done it again.
Unfortunately for my body, I have perhaps too much hands on experience with DCM. DCM has other uses, not related to paint. It's a -bad-ass- solvent for organics.

Luckily, it ain't really toxic. It's just annoying mainly.

PCBs I know about from something to do with soap and welding. 'Agent Orange' was the code name for a defoliant the US military sprayed over Vietnam so the troops could see the evils. It was also rammed with PCBs. You also get lots of PCBs from burning plastics - that dirty, dirty foul black smog. They can climb the food chain as well, so small fish soak up tiny amounts at sea, then bigger fish eat it and so on, each time they accumulate in higher levels as the bigger things eats the smaller things. They can be absorbed by mothers sitting on badly made foam furniture and then accumulates in breast milk, that gets fed to babies. There is no safe limit of exposure. If they're measurable, there's too much - it's tested for in food and cosmetics at parts per trillion (should come back as nil), so ya don't want to be breathing them to save a few pounds on stripping your bike.

This is kind of off topic. If you have access to an angle grinder, the wire cup will do you proud - only a pro sand blaster might be quicker. The flap wheels will wear down long before and take longer. About 4 UKP from machine mart (get the one with twisted steel wire bunches for the brutal power);

Last edited:

New Topics