Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request)

• Discuss Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; HEY! As yeah the topic says. Im wondering and im requesting HOWTO mount a chain, when i talked to LBS on monday, they said.. you have to strech it... ...
Bornizz

Bornizz

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #1
HEY!

As yeah the topic says.
Im wondering and im requesting HOWTO mount a chain, when i talked to LBS on monday, they said.. you have to strech it, to make it smaller? and so on.. is it true? :( is it hard to buy a chain and fix it your self?

Swedens LBS sucks, they cant show you how they fix it because the guy that fix the bikes comes like later on the day and fix it until the night.

Anyways! Hope someone can post a video, or like pictures or so.. or yeah!

thanks!::oops:

biketillidie

biketillidie

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #2
You need a chain tool:

In order to pop out a link pin and remove the chain/slot the links back together and squeeze a pin back in to put the chain back on. It's fairly easy though, but be careful.

G

Gibbo.

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #3
just looks for a "how to" dont ask..

Bornizz

Bornizz

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #4
First time i used a chaincracker it messt up my chain... :/ thanks for the tip.
but yeah, is it just that? how does a master link work? :eek:

biketillidie

biketillidie

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #5
The master link is the one you have to 'crack'..

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #6
The Breaker biketillidie posted up is a park tools chain breaker very nice and much easier to work with than some el cheapo one. Masters for the most par work to ways a. you pop a pin out that is designed to be a bit easier the replace than a normal one b. there is a c clamp that fits over the side plate on a link like below.

sixdegrees

sixdegrees

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #7
Would ditch the master tho. In BMX you tend to hit the cahin on grinds, etc and the master can slip apart... and hey-ho you're on your ass!

:)

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #8
Would ditch the master tho. In BMX you tend to hit the cahin on grinds, etc and the master can slip apart... and hey-ho you're on your ass!

:)
True but there is like a one and 1000 chance of that happening if you install the master properly. Masters are nice for people who refuse to buy I nice chain breaker, or slam their wheel and don't carry a breaker with them.

Bornizz

Bornizz

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #9
Bah, move near me so you guys can teach me!!!!!!!!
does every chain got a master?

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

Request: How to mount a chain. (chain request) post #10
remember the old saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link." this applies to master links on bicycle chains as well. you don't have to hit your chain on something to bust a master link either. sometimes, always at the wrong moment, they explode from pressure.

New Topics