Removing bearing cups

• Discuss Removing bearing cups in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; hi, i want to take the bearings out of my crank to change them. obviously i need to get the cups out first. how do i do this without damaging my... ...
  • Tags bike cranks
K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #1
hi,

i want to take the bearings out of my crank to change them. obviously i need to get the cups out first. how do i do this without damaging my frame or cups?! i have profile tubular cranks

thanks, kam. 8O

T

trailkillerje

Removing bearing cups post #2
how bad are the bearing damaged? if there really bad u could just pound them out and buy the profile hopup kit if u screw up the old cup thata the only i can think of

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #3
the bearing just making funny noise so i know that they are shot and i want to replace them. just generaly full of shit so i will change them, just need to get it all off, mainly not damaging my frame. i suppose i could replace the cups.

T

trailkillerje

Removing bearing cups post #4
yeah thats probably the best thing to do so u dont damage your frame plus the hopup kit is like $35.99 so it wont take a big chunk out of your walllet

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #5
but how do i get the cups out lol

T

trailkillerje

Removing bearing cups post #6
how did u get the old 1 pc cups out or did the bike come with a 3pc if u want to get the cups out get a mallet like hammer and some kind of long metal pole or if u have it a chisle and pound the hello out of it if your getting the hopup kit if your not gently but forsefully tap them out

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #7
just put the cups straight into my frame( S&M holmes), i custom built it.
im thinking that is i use a screwdriver or something its gona **** my frame

T

trailkillerje

Removing bearing cups post #8
you can always take it to a bike shop and let them do it

X

XIII

Removing bearing cups post #9
hey...if you have a mini sledge hammer and a chizzle, just wedge the chittle inbetween the cup and the BB shell and hit it really hard. if you have an american BB...if pyu are not sure what BB u have, what frame/bike is it?

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #10
no its standard BB size, i think. its an S&M holmes frame, profile cranks

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Removing bearing cups post #11
well, i walways say that if you dont know what you are doing with cranks, headsets, and hubs, let a bike shop do it. ok it may cost a you a bit of cash but it could work out cheaper in the end, due to the fact that you could damage you parts even more than they are allready.

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #12
there are no decent bike shops that know about BMX arround here. ust want to know how to get them out with out damaing anything, i am mechanicly competant im just wondering if anyone has some tips. :)

if no one does i was just thinking hammer and screwdriver :twisted:

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Removing bearing cups post #13
well if you do (i wouldn't) then make sure you use a block of wood or something to rest the end of the screwdriver on, DO NOT hammer directly on the the bearings.

my advice is to still take it to a shop. just because it isnt owned by a rider, sell bmx bikes, or called mr_shrapnels bmx emporium, it does not mean that they do not know how to work on bmx bb's, cos they will, afterall its a bike shop......thats their job.

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #14
yea i suppose so, but im going to replace the bearings now any way so i just dont want to damage my frame. does anyone know how they get the cups out in the shops?

F

federal_rider12

Removing bearing cups post #15
well you can take a big round tip object that fits through the spindle hole and tap the round tip punch with a hammer but make sure the tip is on the metal part of the bearing so you are not to damage the bearing and punch it out then take a larger object, like a thick piece of wood or a larger rounded tip punch tool, and start to hammer on the the bearing cup on the other side(the one with the bearing still in it) and tap on one side till it pops out a bit then go to the opposite side of them cup and tap it till it pops out a bit or till it completely comes out then do the same to the other cup

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #16
thanks for writing that, but im not really feeling you lol. sorry dude

F

federal_rider12

Removing bearing cups post #17
you dont understand any of it or just some parts? maybe i can explain a bit better

K

kam_holmes

Removing bearing cups post #18
i dont understand how you can knock the bearings out through the spindle? or maybe im reading it wrong.

F

federal_rider12

Removing bearing cups post #19
the center of the bearing where the spindle goes through thats where you put the round tip punch tool through and use a hammer to tap the inner metal piece of the bearing till it pops out, then continue on with what i said, if you understand the rest

New Topics