Reccomend me a Bike

M

MightyAtom

Reccomend me a Bike post #1
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie to the whole bmx scene and I was wondering if any of you could reccomend me a bike. I want to ride flatland/street and have about £250 to spend. The bike shouldn't be too light nor to heavy. I was thinking along the lines of a Haro Mirra 540. It'd also be very helpful if the bike can be bought within the uk.

Thank you

C

Chuzzlewit

Reccomend me a Bike post #2
If you can stretch to about £300, you can get a mirra flair (03) from some mailorder companies, but if not just go to your local bike shop and ask if you can check out some bikes, ask them anything you want and just get a bike that you like. i really hope that makes sense to you, coz it dont to me!

RuLe

RuLe

Reccomend me a Bike post #3
540 haro is good but make sure u get the 2004 year brand because it has left side drive and double wall black rims and stuff. they discontinued the flairs and put the 540 is its place. So yea the 540 is good but do not get the 2003 year or older

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Reccomend me a Bike post #4
(just in case you did not get my mail for some reason)

yeah, ok no problem. basically as far as flatland bikes go there is a limited selection available to start of with due to the fact that most people tend to ride street parks or dirt, so very few companies make flatland bikes, the second problem with flatland bikes is that most tend to cost quite a lot due to the fact that certain parts (for example free coaster hubs) cost a lot, so this is reflected in the overall bike cost. however all is not lost as in the UK we probably have the best selection of flatland bikes anywhere in the world, so while find a good flatland bike for a relatively small amount of money may be hard, it is not impossible.

ok now to answer you question. i presume you saw my post about the bikes available on the market today, so take note of that but i will now give you a few recommenced options:

ok my first recommendation is a khe flatliner (see link)
http://www.khe-bmx.com/uk/flat.htm#flatliner
this is pretty much the cheapest flatland bike out but it has some really good parts which are flatland specific such as zero degree multi piece bars, short degree forks, short reach stem, free coaster hub, and u brakes all round. It's a good flatland bike which is in you budget.

my second recommendation is a twenty parking:
http://www.twentyvelocross.com/twparking.html
this is such a great bike as it has a perfect flatland frame which is strong and has great geometry, high quality multi piece zero degree bars, and forks, a great high quality wheel set with a free coaster hub, and light weight aluminium parts through out, plus it has very good brakes. however it is over your budget by about 50-70 pounds.

see a review of the twenty parking here: http://www.4130.com/ride/bikes/twentyparking.html

my third and final piece of advise is to look for a second hand flatland bike as often you can find high quality bikes which would cost about £400 or more and you could get them for about £250 - 300, which i think is worth it as you get a great bikes, who cares if it has a few scratches on right?

to look for second hand bikes check this magazine(you will have to buy it first though) : http://www.ridebmxmag.co.uk/ in the back it has second hand bike sales, you should be able to get it from wh smiths or something.

ok that's it I guess, so to summarise, if you want a flatland bike NOW then pretty much the only flatland bike around is the KHE which is good, don't get me wrong, its just not fantastic. but my strong advise to you is to save up a little more money and get the twenty parking, it really is worth the money simply because it is such high quality and has a great selection of parts. plus the weather sucks right now so you won't be able to ride to much, so i think you should just be patient and get the twenty parking when you have enough money. you could also try to find a second hand bike.

there are several other flatland bikes around but, they are way out of your price range like fly bikes or wethepeople, but they are pretty much on par with the twenty parking except for the fact that they have 3 piece cranks, but as you are a beginner 3 piece cranks really are not necessary

however, I noticed that you said you wanted to ride street, and flat this may cause problems as flatland bikes are not really all that cut out for street. for example free coaster hubs are weaker compared to standard hubs, thus meaning that they get broken quite easily on street, so it may be worth you while buying a street/dirt type bike, and using it for a bit of flatlanding. (but note that riding flat on a street type bike may be hard as it does not have flat geometry or a free coaster hub)

so it depends all upon what you are going to ride the most, if you are going to ride street/dirt/parts and a little bit of flat then get a street type bike - if this is the case email me again and i will help you choose a good street bike, or post on the forum. but if you are going to ride flatland mostly, with a little bit of street every now and again then it may be a better idea to get a flatland bike.

sorry it was a bit long (I didn't even get into the technical side of things) but i hope it helped, if you need anymore help just mail me again

**please not a freecoster hub allows you to roll backwards without your crank/pedals turning backwards - this is integral for flatlanding - but they are weaker than standard freewheel hubs or cassette hubs which means they are not to suitable for street/dirt/park use.

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Reccomend me a Bike post #5
(just in case you did not get my reply to you second mail)

yep the mirra 540 looks really good, the frame is going to be strong as it is a 3 cro-mo tube design, and the overall design/ geometry looks really good and should behave really predicably, 3 piece cro-mo cranks, cro-mo bars, micro drive gearing, a very good wheel set with alex rims, and hollow 14mm axles, good tektro brake set up. its all there, you will not be dissapointed! its a very good bike in fact most other bikes companies would have to chage at least £300 for that set up, but as haro is such a big company they can buy everything in bulk and charge less overall.

its a very good bike with great parts, for probably one of the best prices around. i dont really think that i know of any better deal than that, so yeah get it.

when you do get it though to make it handle much better, and to reduce the weight a little it may be worth cutting the bars down a little bit to make them shorter, this will make the bike easier to handle and will make some tricks easier. take off any pegs you dont use eg the left hand side, or just while your starting take them all off untill you have enough confidence to do grinds (this will reduce the weight by about 2lbs). if you dont have the seat really high, cut off any exess seat tube (but make sure you have about 4cm actually in the seat tube of the bike itself). if you find that you do not use the front brake, take it off, and if you find you do not use the gyro take that off and exchange it for a single cable. (i use a single cable and i have been riding for years, you only need a gyro if you do like tripple bars spins and tailwhips you know?) also make sure you rear wheel' axle is 'rammed' as far in the drop-out as possible, this wil make tricks like manuals, 180's 360's etc, much easier (you will have to remove some of the chain links though to keep chain tension).

oh and just a few more tips, make sure you keep really good care you your bikes, service it as often as poss, make sure the tires are full up with air to their max psi (this will reduce punctures), keep it clean and oiled, make sure you spend time learning how to set your brakes up well, make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight, and most importatly DO NOT THROW YOUR BIKE, i know there is allways temptation to throw it when you cant pull a trick, but if you take care of your bike it wil take care of you. boy do i sound like a hippy...but its true. oh and take the stickers off, cos its good good without them.

the bottom line is (literally) get the haro mirra 540, ride and have fun, and make sure you buy a bmx magazine too such as ride bmx uk, dig bmx magazine, looking glass magazine, or bmx rider.

D

Devourment 138

Reccomend me a Bike post #6
Holy crap!!!

I

infantry43RIDER

Reccomend me a Bike post #7
haha i know.

O

oibmxpunx

Reccomend me a Bike post #8
that would be to much stuff to type for me but im lazy

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Reccomend me a Bike post #9
well he did ask.....

F

federal_rider12

Reccomend me a Bike post #10
ive never seen a complete flatland bike ive only seen the frames i thought u had to build ur own custom flatland bike and i dont have lots of shops round me, like 2 within 80 miles in which i only go to 1 of them since i dont know where the other is, so i dont get to see flatland stuff since they dont sell ne of that but i guess it dont matter for me since i dont do flatland

L

leon_luxton

Reccomend me a Bike post #11
^^check out www.flatlandfuel.com and there you will see many complete flatland bikes for sale..i custom built mine :D

M

MightyAtom

Reccomend me a Bike post #12
Thanx for all your replies everyone, especially Mr_Shrapenal those length posts really helped me out.

Anyway I've decided to go with the Mirra 540, but what do I use to cut down the handle bars and the seat? A circular saw?

Also is www.bmx-shop.co.uk a good site to buy from because this is where I plan to get the bmx from

E

EPMD

Reccomend me a Bike post #13
MightyAtom said:
Anyway I've decided to go with the Mirra 540, but what do I use to cut down the handle bars and the seat? A circular saw?
hell no..

hack saw

I

infantry43RIDER

Reccomend me a Bike post #14
yea a hacksaw or i use one of the electrice metal cutters...they both work.

F

federal_rider12

Reccomend me a Bike post #15
MightyAtom said:
Thanx for all your replies everyone, especially Mr_Shrapenal those length posts really helped me out.

Also is www.bmx-shop.co.uk a good site to buy from because this is where I plan to get the bmx from
dremel tool with a strong cutting wheel(i did that and worked great) or u can use and angle grinder

M

Mr_Shrapnel

Reccomend me a Bike post #16
HEY HE CAN USE A CIRULAR SAW! what wrong with that? he will nip through the bars in a few seconds!

if you have a circular saw, use it, but a standard hacksaw will do. basically any tool with a metal cutting blade on it. make sure you take your time, and measure it otherwise you may mess it up. its also woth using a metal file to clean the edges up after you finish your initial cut.

I

infantry43RIDER

Reccomend me a Bike post #17
you can use a circular saw but yea just make sure that you use a metal cutting blade...not to many people realize that and end up using a wood cutting blade...fools.

C

Caris

Reccomend me a Bike post #18
New Bike

Whant a new bike for £250 (ish) get a We the people daredevil super light, Hoffman Disrupter el2
or a Dk four pack. 8)

C

casperh

Reccomend me a Bike post #19
what discipline are those bikes?

I

infantry43RIDER

Reccomend me a Bike post #20
if you need to have one those would be like all of them...street, park, and trails...

but pretty much any bike...with the exception of flatland frames (maybe) can be used for anything.

i have seen a couple riders using Micromachines and Federal flats on street however.

New Topics