rear wheel alignment problem.

• Discuss rear wheel alignment problem. in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; ok so when ever i put my rear wheel on to tighten the wheel, the wheel moves towards the opposite drive side. I make sure the wheel is aligned then i... ...
L

lildrewmilby

rear wheel alignment problem. post #1
ok so when ever i put my rear wheel on to tighten the wheel, the wheel moves towards the opposite drive side.
I make sure the wheel is aligned then i tighten but it just pulls. Is it the hub? its a shitty wheel so i wouldnt be surprised. Would getting a new back wheel help? The axle does look bent, and i ask my dad who did metal work and he said it looks bent to.

Anyway would getting a new wheel fix this?

Jake Eats Cake

Jake Eats Cake

rear wheel alignment problem. post #2
how do you tighten it

try and tight each side evenly. at a time. if you get me
dont fully tighten one side then the other.. do both at the same time evenly

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

rear wheel alignment problem. post #3
seriously, this will answer your question completely: http://gsportbmx.com/tech/dropouts.php

G said:
Of course there is another problem with dropouts… How many of us have experienced bizarre movements when trying to put the back wheel on? You get the wheel in the middle, with the chain reasonably tight, but as you tighten the wheel nuts it moves out of alignment. No matter how hard you try it wonders to a position where the chain is loose and the wheel rubs the stays! The cause of this is subtle but easily fixed, unfortunately it requires a tedious elaboration to explain.. When a frame is welded it sometimes distorts slightly, the chain stays can spread apart slightly or pull together. This makes some riders think that they need to put spacers inside the dropouts or take spacers away till the wheel fits, but this causes more problems than it solves. When the frame distorted the dropouts didn’t just move evenly apart, the whole stays ANGLED apart. The dropouts are therefore no longer parallel. If you bung your wheel in there with spacers to make up the gap then there is going to be a conflict. Assuming the axle is straight then the faces of the cone-nuts or spacers are parallel to each other. Since these have to mate up to the faces of the dropouts something has got to give. Either the axle has to bend or the dropouts bend or a bit of both. If you tighten one side first, then the wheel will line itself up to that dropout, but be way out of line compared to the frame.

If you suspect that your dropouts are not parallel then check them. All you have to do is measure between the front edges of the dropouts and then compare it to the distance apart at the back of the dropouts. If this dimension is even only 1mm different then you should look at sorting it out. Sorting it out is usually dead easy. Suppose you take the wheel out and measure the dropout spacing and it turns out that the dropouts are wider apart at the back than the front. The easiest thing is to squeeze the dropouts slowly together with a clamp or an old axle, keep measuring until they are the same, then make a note of the distance (it should be about 110mm in most cases). Because the distortion is a long way from the dropouts the change in width to get rid of the misalignment can be surprisingly large. It is not unusual for a 1mm difference in dropout spacing front to back to need 6mm or so of spacers removing to correct.

Once you find the right width just set your hub to that width by removing or adding spacers. When you take the clamp off, the dropouts will spring back to their normal “wrong” position, but that’s no problem. Put your wheel is with the right number of spacers and tighten the nuts, you should see an immediate improvement. If the dropouts are wider apart at the front than the back then spread the dropouts with an axle and repeat the steps as above. If the dropouts need spreading then it is going to make putting the wheel in a “real pain in the arse”. To remedy this you can use a car jack to “cold set” the frame back to its correct position. “Cold set” is a fancy way of saying “force”. Just put the jack in the dropouts and open it out slightly. There tends to be a lot of spring in the back end of a BMX frame (all that lovely thin tube for you) so you will need to open the frame out beyond the point you want it to “set” at. Take your time and eventually you will get it where you want. However you MUST be careful with “cold setting” the frame like this, there is always a risk that one side will bend out more than the other, leaving you with a bent frame where the wheel does not line up with the rest of the frame… Again, don’t say I didn’t warn you….
basically, your dropouts should be PARALLEL with one another and flush with the surface of the lock nuts when they are clamped down on the axle. if the dropout/lock nut are angled, the wheel will shift.

L

Lay

rear wheel alignment problem. post #4
You can get a bud or parent to hold the wheel in place or just get wheel slammers, OR (The best choice) Just get chain tensioners.

Irish

Irish

rear wheel alignment problem. post #5
i always wedge something between the tire and the seatstay/ chainstay bridge to keep the wheel spaced while i tighten it.

L

lildrewmilby

rear wheel alignment problem. post #6
i always wedge something between the tire and the seatstay/ chainstay bridge to keep the wheel spaced while i tighten it.
yea thats wat i do, i tighten each side a little at a time. but ill go ask my dad to hold it in place while i tighten them evenly.

But yea the rim is bent so its kinda hard.

T

twiztidbmxfreak1

rear wheel alignment problem. post #7
well, one of the perks of riding BRAKES is help with home wheel work
helps true wheels and even helps hold the wheel so it doesnt move and
sits even while tightening! I hold my brakes and tighten just alittle on each
side. ive had this trouble with just about every bike ever its nothing new
The hoffmans I had had really wide back end(not sure why) but the Hoffman
wheels that came on them where just a bit wider then most other hubs.
What kind of wheels are you riding?

pelmeney

pelmeney

rear wheel alignment problem. post #8
go to ur local bike shop and ask them to slam ur wheel

At1x

At1x

rear wheel alignment problem. post #9
go to ur local bike shop and ask for bukkake from 10 black men.

G

givertits

rear wheel alignment problem. post #10
either wedge somthin so that the wheel cant move side to side or tighten one side then pull the wheel to one side or the other to get it center and then tighten the loose side seems to work for me wen my bikes being homo

L

lildrewmilby

rear wheel alignment problem. post #11
either wedge somthin so that the wheel cant move side to side or tighten one side then pull the wheel to one side or the other to get it center and then tighten the loose side seems to work for me wen my bikes being homo
thats wat i do tho, anyway my friend is selling me his oddy hub and hazard for $80 so ill try it and see if it works. If so then im buying it.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

rear wheel alignment problem. post #12
obviously, none of you guys read the quote i posted from george. that is a sure-fire way to make it work and eliminate the need for chain tensioners.

L

lildrewmilby

rear wheel alignment problem. post #13
obviously, none of you guys read the quote i posted from george. that is a sure-fire way to make it work and eliminate the need for chain tensioners.
i didnt really under stand it. and i know wat your gonna say. Oh its simple it needs to be parallel.

so like i put spacers on the inside of drops outs on the axle? like if i needed 6 spacers or something i should put 3 on each side?

and if my drop out/chain stay is not parallel, could that make my axle bend?

Last edited:
ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

rear wheel alignment problem. post #14
... and if my drop out/chain stay is not parallel, could that make my axle bend?
No. Only bad landing and overweight homies hauling make axles bend...

dsboy

dsboy

rear wheel alignment problem. post #15
what i did was i had my mom pull the bike foward while i was pulling the rim back and i tightened the bolts

L

lildrewmilby

rear wheel alignment problem. post #16
H

hoffmanrida67

rear wheel alignment problem. post #17
i like to wedge a door stop or stones in between the frame and wheel

dsboy

dsboy

rear wheel alignment problem. post #18
i have my mom pull the handlebars foward as i pull the back wheel with one hand and tighte it with the other, works well

chrome bmx

chrome bmx

rear wheel alignment problem. post #19
My way does the job and ive done it for donkeys years.

Flip the bike up, sit with your nuts at the backwheel, feet to the seat then pull and tighten - jobs a good 'un.

johnuk

johnuk

rear wheel alignment problem. post #20
listen to jnwolte's plan

if that doesn't work, chain tensioners - they're not just for setting chain tension, they restrain the axle in the dropout along it's sliding axis

New Topics