Raw Bike Frame

• Discuss Raw Bike Frame in the Street Riding forum in area BMX-Forum Community; can anyone give me any tips on what to use to get a raw colour on my frame? it is a steel frame with paint on and i have had enough of the colour... ...
P

Pedro5190

Raw Bike Frame post #1
can anyone give me any tips on what to use to get a raw colour on my frame?
it is a steel frame with paint on and i have had enough of the colour.
thanks alot sam

Paul1311

Paul1311

Raw Bike Frame post #2
use nitromors. its a paint stripper , just buy some and read the instructions on the back.

When its raw youll have to clearcoat it or itll rust

bike ryder

bike ryder

Raw Bike Frame post #3
explicit is totally correct. make sure you put a couple clear coats on it

emon00

emon00

Raw Bike Frame post #4
i want to do it. how long is the whole process?

hot karl

hot karl

Raw Bike Frame post #5
why'd you up this thread that's over a year old?

there's a few ways you can strip a frame. one is with paint stripper. i personally used a grinder because i didn't want to spend any money. the grinder takes a lot longer than paint stripper though. we spent an entire weekend grinding the paint off my friend's frame (although the frame did have like 10 coats on it, with the originally s&m bbq black paint which is tough to strip), forks, bars, and cranks.

when i painted my bike white i used paint stripper and it took maybe 30 minutes to get all the paint off and it was very clean. after i painted it white i rawed it half-way with my friend's grinder which took maybe an hour.

T

teddybearpicnics

Raw Bike Frame post #6
I am "rawing" my frame right now, get some really coarse sandpaper and start rubbin, or use paint stripper....be sure to clear-coat

.teddy

emon00

emon00

Raw Bike Frame post #7
oh sorry didnt notice the date. but thx anyway

ihatesherbet

ihatesherbet

Raw Bike Frame post #8
Instead of clear coating you could rub the frame with oil, leave it overnight somewhere hot and wipe off the excess in the morning. Even with clear coat it would rust eventually as lacquer is porous.

C

cycle99

Raw Bike Frame post #9
to bad,i wanted to see sams paint job

A

Alotest

Raw Bike Frame post #10
Instead of clear coating you could rub the frame with oil, leave it overnight somewhere hot and wipe off the excess in the morning. Even with clear coat it would rust eventually as lacquer is porous.
My friend has had his frame rawed for over a year, no obvious rust

teniente

teniente

Raw Bike Frame post #11
get a sander and get the most of the paint off and use finer sand paper for the rest then clear coat it all.
dont use really rough paper or ull damage the metal

HolesInShoes

HolesInShoes

Raw Bike Frame post #12
Heavy Paint Stripper. I went to my local Home Depot and asked a worker for a stripper strong enough to remove multiple layers of powder coat, unfortunately she pointed me to Acetone...which is practically extra strength nail polish remover. I found Permatex Gasket Remover at an Autozone and that worked perfectly.

New Topics