quick peg question

• Discuss quick peg question in the BMX Bike Tech forum in area BMX-Forum Community; newbie here. I want to start learning grinds, the rear peg just goes on without a washer correct? what about the front? it has a washer/slammer thing... ...
D

Dropsonde

quick peg question post #1
newbie here. I want to start learning grinds, the rear peg just goes on without a washer correct? what about the front? it has a washer/slammer thing that makes sure the axle is nicely seating in the dropout, what do I do with it? one peg has a recessed edge and a bigger opening

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #2
Are these pegs that came with your bike or something? And you should run a washer in the rear pg inside the peg though.

Marcelwk

Marcelwk

quick peg question post #3
And you should run a washer in the rear pg inside the peg though.
Why? I always run them with a washer between the peg and the frame/fork and without washers between the peg and the axle nut. Works fine..

J

johnny homeless

quick peg question post #4
do you mean shims? like the front wheel has a 10mm and the back wheel has a 14mm axle and both pegs are 14mm? if that's what you mean then you need to run the shim on the front axle.

if you mean normal washers, i run them inside the pegs, with my pegs slammed against the frame/fork drop outs.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #5
Why? I always run them with a washer between the peg and the frame/fork and without washers between the peg and the axle nut. Works fine..
Because the point of the washer is to allow you to tighten down the nut better. The way you described will just give your peg more leverage to bend your axle, unless your washer has a >/= outer diameter as compared to your peg in which case it's still pointless.

Pickles

Pickles

quick peg question post #6
washer between the peg and dropout,washer between the bolt and peg. thats a given. always.

the hook-washed as I aptly call them,because I dont know the true term,and I dont think many people do,and they look like hooks,so yeah,those are a big help,if you snap one of those,its fine to use a regular washer,but look for some new ones,because those are a huge help at keeping your wheel centered. I use those up front...wish I would use something like that out back....i dont have chain tensioners yet,I need to get me some

ANYWAY!

for any peg on the left,YES even with anorexia hubs,use anti roll pins. ANy peg on the right,use anti roll pins. heres why:
left:Itll loosen on you,and make the peg wobble and the tires move and itll be a big mess,and usually costly
right:itll tighten up on you and be immensely tight,not fun to take off.

so basically:
-use spacers on each side of the peg
-use anti roll pins on both sides,whatever side you use.
-I need chain tensioners

you learn some bit of useless info every day...thats yours for the day :p

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #7
I believe what he is referring to is where they will make the bottom of the dropout on the forks wider that the rest and have a washer with a shim that locks the wheel in place when the bolts are one the axles. If this is the case you don’t need them but if your peg is designed to work with them why not. Either that or what homeless said is my guess.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

quick peg question post #8
Because the point of the washer is to allow you to tighten down the nut better. The way you described will just give your peg more leverage to bend your axle, unless your washer has a >/= outer diameter as compared to your peg in which case it's still pointless.
truth- running a washer inside your peg is a good way to get the maximum tension on your axle nut and keep the peg from coming loose.

running a washer on the ouside of your peg between the peg and dropout, however, just makes it more likely to move and more likely to bend your axle. if you have a washer that is bigger than or the same saize as your peg, that would be ok against the dropout, but a regular sized washer outside the peg is just asking for trouble.

i learned this the hard way in my early years- i put a peg on with a washer beause that seemed to make sense. after three feeble grinds, SNAP. time for a new $20 axle. then someone told me to put the washer on the inside of the peg only and i have never bent or snapped an axle since.

Last edited:
mack_turtle

mack_turtle

quick peg question post #9
washer between the peg and dropout,washer between the bolt and peg. thats a given. always.
so basically:
-use spacers on each side of the peg
-use anti roll pins on both sides,whatever side you use.
-I need chain tensioners
if you put a washer on the outside of your peg (between the peg/dropout), the anti-roll pins on the peg wont fit. if they do, they won't go into the dropout and do their job.

D

Dropsonde

quick peg question post #10
do you mean shims? like the front wheel has a 10mm and the back wheel has a 14mm axle and both pegs are 14mm? if that's what you mean then you need to run the shim on the front axle.

if you mean normal washers, i run them inside the pegs, with my pegs slammed against the frame/fork drop outs.
the rear wheel has a standard washer, the front wheel has what's pictured in between the two pegs. the right peg is probably the front peg and the shim/washer/slammer thing either goes on the inside or the outside.

oh and the socket size for the standard 14mm axle is 19mm?

J

johnny homeless

quick peg question post #11
it might be my eyes so wait until someone else confirms, but it looks like you've got a 10mm and a 14mm peg there. in which case, you don't need to use the shim at all, just stick the pegs on the right axles.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #12
Looks like the one on the left is for the front - 3/8 and the washer looks to be about the same diameter anyway I'd say run it.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

quick peg question post #13
put the tapered peg on your front axle and the flatter one on your rear. do you have a 14mm axle up front?

ah, i see it now. that washer is, as you suspected, made to center your axle in your fork dropout. the droput is slotted on the bottom end but widens near the top end to about a 16mm hole, like the letter "C". they put that mechanism on most cheaper forks that come on completes to prevent the front wheel from falling off in the event that some total nob puts the bike together and doesnt tighten the axle nuts properly. unfortuanately, you need that washer on your front axle between the peg and the dropout to keep the axle centered. if, in the future, you get a new fork, it should not have any of that nonsense and you can get a decent amount of support for your axle by eliminating that spacer.

most axle nuts for 14mm axles are 17mm or 19mm. i have seen 18mm nuts too. it's usually best to get the same size axle nuts, 17 or 19mm, on both axles so you don't have to use two sizes of sockets on your bike.

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #14
it might be my eyes so wait until someone else confirms, but it looks like you've got a 10mm and a 14mm peg there. in which case, you don't need to use the shim at all, just stick the pegs on the right axles.
If I'm correct the shim is for the Forks and not the pegs could be wrong though.

D

Dropsonde

quick peg question post #15
Looks like the one on the left is for the front - 3/8 and the washer looks to be about the same diameter anyway I'd say run it.
both of my axles are 14mm

so correct me but it would go like this

front:

nut - peg - shim washer thing in the fork dropout

rear:

nut - washer - peg - dropout

J

johnny homeless

quick peg question post #16
If I'm correct the shim is for the Forks and not the pegs could be wrong though.
oh right, an axle converter? yeah, i reckon you could be right.

edit: jwnolte is correct as usual...

2WheelPride

2WheelPride

quick peg question post #17
then listen to what jwnolte said about the pegs

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

quick peg question post #18
front:
nut - washer - peg - shim washer thing in the fork dropout

rear:
nut - washer - peg - dropout
add that second washer inside your front peg and you're golden. don't forget a little grease.

DAN1991

DAN1991

quick peg question post #19
I've always ran nut peg dropout.

D

Dropsonde

quick peg question post #20
add that second washer inside your front peg and you're golden. don't forget a little grease.
if I could find another one of these shimwashers would that work too?

New Topics