questions about chains....

• Discuss questions about chains.... in the Beginners / New to BMX forum in area BMX-Forum Community; id like to get a half link chain but everyone who i talk to says there are nothing but junk, but they had bikes backs years ago, and i want this half... ...
M

MkUltra117

questions about chains.... post #1
id like to get a half link chain but everyone who i talk to says there are nothing but junk, but they had bikes backs years ago, and i want this half link chain http://www.danscomp.com/464041.php?cat=PARTS

anybody use this?

how did it perform for dirt jumping? running it on 25/9 gearing

:hmm:

help!

M

MATRIX

questions about chains.... post #2
I run chains from walmart alot. They are KMC chains, just not the top ones. Any chain will work, just some will snap easier. But, I get 2 chains for about 10$ at Walmart and am fine for around 3-6 months(even if I do sprocket stalls).

M

MkUltra117

questions about chains.... post #3
well i wanted something purple and flashy, i want my bike to stand out

M

MATRIX

questions about chains.... post #4
well i wanted something purple and flashy, i want my bike to stand out
In that case, buy it. It will work fine and if or when it breaks, get another. And also, at Walmart grab a chain breaker. They are CHEAP at Walmart and will do the job. DO NOT run a master link, thats why I said get a chain breaker. Masters are weak links.

M

MkUltra117

questions about chains.... post #5
In that case, buy it. It will work fine and if or when it breaks, get another. And also, at Walmart grab a chain breaker. They are CHEAP at Walmart and will do the job. DO NOT run a master link, thats why I said get a chain breaker. Masters are weak links.
so dont run a half link master link?

E

evilchris50

questions about chains.... post #6
don't use a master link, the shadow chain is top of the line, and i strongly suggest your get one of these http://www.danscomp.com/811407.php?cat=TOOLS , half link chains, specifically shadows, are a b*tch to take apart/putback to gather

M

MkUltra117

questions about chains.... post #7
alright
thanks for your input guys!

misterbryan

misterbryan

questions about chains.... post #8
i might get a black shadow half link one day.

half links stretch a lot. so you will need a chain breaker so you can keep your chain tight :D

ruzakruzak

ruzakruzak

questions about chains.... post #9
I'd stick to the KCM chains, kool chain and the like.
Half link chains are not reliable enough.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

questions about chains.... post #10
kmx z510hx aka dropbuster is all you need.

JMcdonell

JMcdonell

questions about chains.... post #11
my brother has had no problems with his.

A

AlexB

questions about chains.... post #12
i just use any chain i can find.

G

goldendragon

questions about chains.... post #13
i just use any chain i can find.
Same here. When it snaps I search my trunk for spare links after groaning in pain and fix it right there. My chain is made of probably 3 different other chains and it has held strong for about a month now.

mack_turtle

mack_turtle

questions about chains.... post #14
Same here. When it snaps I search my trunk for spare links after groaning in pain and fix it right there. My chain is made of probably 3 different other chains and it has held strong for about a month now.
i think you would save yourself a lot of time and injury if you would just start over and buy a decent chain. what does a new KMC z510hx cost, $15?

G

goldendragon

questions about chains.... post #15
i think you would save yourself a lot of time and injury if you would just start over and buy a decent chain. what does a new KMC z510hx cost, $15?
I don't know how much they cost but my chain has held up pretty good since last time I fixed it and its going to start snowing by the way the weather looks up here for this weekend so I'm in no rush for a new chain.

ollie

ollie

questions about chains.... post #16
my buddies both had shadow v2 chains and snapped them constantly. the only thing they are good for is with the micro gearing so they dont bind or whatnot. otherwise half kink chains weigh MORE than almost any full link chain, even the half links with hollow pins. and if you want a purple chain,just get a rattle can and paint it yourself. just my two cents

New Topics