Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame...

• Discuss Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... in the General BMX Forum forum in area BMX-Forum Community; Ok, basically I am looking at a frame that can come in Chrome or Powder coat. I am a bit concerned if I have the bike for a long time I would... ...
M

missouribmx

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #1
Ok, basically I am looking at a frame that can come in Chrome or Powder coat. I am a bit concerned if I have the bike for a long time I would eventually want/ need to go ahead and repaint it.

Wouldn't it be hard to remove chrome or paint over it ?

Would a chrome frame chip / corrode faster than a powder coat?

Would powder coat be best as it would be easier to just paint over?!

I need any pro's / con's that you all can give me so I can make an informed decision.

help is appriciated.

thanks

fancyabum

fancyabum

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #2
chroming will make the frame a tad heavier than painting (if your a weight weenie) . a chrome frame would look savage aswell so its personal choice.

Creepozoid

Creepozoid

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #3
Ok, basically I am looking at a frame that can come in Chrome or Powder coat. I am a bit concerned if I have the bike for a long time I would eventually want/ need to go ahead and repaint it.

Wouldn't it be hard to remove chrome or paint over it ?

Would a chrome frame chip / corrode faster than a powder coat?

Would powder coat be best as it would be easier to just paint over?!

I need any pro's / con's that you all can give me so I can make an informed decision.

help is appriciated.

thanks
Its probably impossible to remove chrome, but if you kept it nice it wouldnt need re-chroming or painting. Its metal plate remember.

It wont chip as easily as paint, if you look after it by keeping it clean and dry it wont corrode.

Power is easy to remove and then you can repowder or raw or chrome or what ever you like.

And have a look at this: this is at least 25 years old 83 model, original chrome and still looks brand new:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/hutch/5509

Read this too: http://www.bikeguide.org/guides/chrome/

gInGeR kId

gInGeR kId

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #4
Chrome looks kewl(my bike is chrome)but to look good it has to be clean all the time.

E

EasternFoLife

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #5
I have a chrome frame and it looks awesome, Something different. Its easier to clean and chips way less then paint. Plus!!! I have painted over chrome before with spray paint and it sticks fine and stays on just fine.

M

missouribmx

Pro's and Con's Chrome vs Powder coat frame... post #6
i am glad to hear that it is easy to paint over it, i was a bit worried about that.

New Topics